Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:16:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

No More Jockeys

Started by DrGreggles, June 19, 2020, 09:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Another excellent bit of stuff.

I don't want guests, particularly. I like their little comic world. I'd be cool with a whole different group of comedians doing it, though.

AllisonSays

Quote from: StewartLeehaslethimselfgo on July 24, 2021, 02:55:15 PM
Mark Watson is starting to grate with the unfunny and out of timing song riffs/football chants he keeps doing

I find him annoying but quite enjoy being annoyed by him at the same time, somehow.

Quote from: StewartLeehaslethimselfgo on July 24, 2021, 02:55:15 PM
Mark Watson is starting to grate with the unfunny and out of timing song riffs/football chants he keeps doing

That and the unicorn mug stuff started to put me off, so I stopped watching after the first couple of games from this latest set.

I'd rather remember it as my comedy highlight of the pandemic than something that outstayed its welcome.

Though on the whole it's drastically improved my opinion of Mark Watson.

DrGreggles

I still love it.
The latest one was one of the best.

Maybe I'll dip in again after a break.

I'm still incredibly fond of it. My family barely left the house for five months while we were shielding and it gave me something to look forward to every week, which is how I'd like to remember it.

wooders1978

I watch every week, yes repetitive songs are a tad annoying but cut the lads a break, they're delivering an unscripted thing on the fly and still managing to be reliably very funny, at what, over a year later?

That is *hard* and they deserved to be commended, especially as it's basically free

Pimhole

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 17, 2021, 06:48:38 PM
has anyone tried playing any variants of NMJ? me and a couple of pals had a No More White Boots (football and football people) and I hear there's one where you can go beyond people and include things, concepts, etc.

My brother is a primary school teacher and he plays a version called 'No More Happy Things' with his Year 3s. They have to name a noun, then an adjective that describes the noun, and then that adjective is out. The first time they played it, the first kid said "Rollercoaster. No more... happy things", hence the name. They fucking love it.

DrGreggles

We've played NMJ a few times over Zoom, and it's great fun.
It probably needs to be capped at 4 contestants though, otherwise there are too many categories.
We once got a game down to single names only, then someone said "Lassie. No more non-human." and we were all buggered.

Wild scenes this week,combined with the odd twist and a 'he probably shouldn't be doing that' moment.

g0m

"No category given" is one of the funniest parts of any episode

JamesTC

Absolute classic.

Spoiler alert
The God Category
[close]

DrGreggles

I have a ticket for the live NMJ next week, but it looks like I'll be unable to watch.
Message me if you're interested.

MigraineBoy

First of 3 Christmas specials now up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6dZstgnM5c

"Well, what's he got in his other hand?"

Ja'moke

I was starting to get a little tired of these towards the end of the last run, but the break served them well. Was happy to see this back and it was a cracking episode.

Gandhi's pot.

Ja'moke

Emergency live episode announced for tonight because they've had to cancel the stage show in Soho.

DrGreggles

Santa may have an early present for any NMJ fans who missed out last night.
Depends if you've been naughty or nice, so PM me to find out which list you're on.

Ja'moke

Today's Christmas special is one of the best episodes they've done.

"There's humane and then there's doing a photoshoot with it."

Famous Mortimer

I just clicked on their Youtube channel, not expecting anything, and the new series starts on the 2nd! Excellent news!

Ja'moke

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 01, 2022, 04:29:58 AMI just clicked on their Youtube channel, not expecting anything, and the new series starts on the 2nd! Excellent news!

Looking forward to it. I started to get a little burned out on it, but I think these months away have been a good thing. I'm ready for it to return now.

WestHill

It's interesting, having seen Key's most recent show, thinking back about what a lifeline this was at the time.

Key's Mulberry show is lockdown themed and his use of a more somber tone in places was striking and definitely feels like a growth from his previous stuff. He really got across how affected he had been by the whole thing. Looking back at all the slightly crazed stuff he was getting up to on NMJ kinda makes more sense with that knowledge. Excellent show btw.

Can't wait for the new Set.

DrGreggles

It's been a while, but
Spoiler alert
"a spinster is someone who is constantly trying to wank off a frog"
[close]
got me immediately back on board.

7 months without an NMJ episode and Watson's songs still immediately grate.

Ja'moke

Yeah the songs are becoming too much. Hopefully future episodes, they edit them out.

But some funny bits in the new episode. Don't like to complain too much when it's free entertainment.

Inspector Norse

+1 on the songs, I'm generally well-disposed towards Watson but he needs to cut them out.
Or rather they need to cut them out of the Youtube edits: it's a show featuring three mates having a laugh together so it's harsh to criticise any bit of it given that the three of them seem to like the songs and joining in with them, but it's a bit that doesn't translate to the audience setting.

Cracked up at Watson challenging Horne only for Key to start off on an anecdote about his grandfather while running out of time to do the research.

And speaking of Key, did he have some notes scrawled on his hand at the start there? That's cheatin' in my book!

Purple Toupee

Great to have this back but glad I'm not the only one irritated by the songs. The episodes could definitely be a bit shorter.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Purple Toupee on September 03, 2022, 12:12:01 PMThe episodes could definitely be a bit shorter.

You shouldn't go to a live one then!
The Fringe special may still be going.

Pimhole

Set 5 Game 2: I really hope they do go to Turkey, or at least reach out to Mert Aksaç

MrsWarboysLover

There's a lot of talk in here of not liking the songs, but the auctioneer song from the most recent one was brilliant

Pimhole

Quote from: MrsWarboysLover on September 10, 2022, 09:07:08 PMThere's a lot of talk in here of not liking the songs, but the auctioneer song from the most recent one was brilliant

I often find the songs cringey but I liked both that and "Down Below". It looked a bit like Horne was getting pissed off with the songs.