Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:57:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinner: thread for backseat moderators and hand-wringing [split topic]

Started by QDRPHNC, June 20, 2020, 03:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 21, 2020, 05:02:59 PMSplit all this off now, and will be doing the same with any further attempts at derailment.

Hah, you trying to save Polymorphia's bet?

Only kidding, obviously. :-)

Barry Admin

Quote from: Ornlu on June 21, 2020, 05:44:18 PM
The fact this thread exists is embarrassing. It's probably given Graham a right old chuckle.

This thread would not be required if people would stop being pushy control freaks.

Bear in mind that Shoulders also recently gave me a public ultimatum with regards banning a poster he didn't like, and then carried through on his threat to shit up all the threads the guy posted in.

The constant self-important thread policing and backseat moderating is boiling my piss, and stops now.

Edit: oh, and I also had to remove a post from the Linehan thread last week where he was spamming those fucking zoom chats. I see he's also been spamming some Twitter account and website. It's fucking ridiculous that people can engage in this continuous cunty, self-regarding disrespectful behaviour.

chveik

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThe backseat moderators who feel compelled to come in every 20 pages and shit all over the discussion just to be annoying,

The remarks about my contributions to a thread about beer are unworthy and come across spitefully. There have been 2 threads in what - 10 years? Also should there have been any hypocrisy to highlight (there isn't) it would not have invalidated the argument, so I don't understand why that has been brought up.

I agree the Glinner phenomena is on some level interesting and has been educational. I wouldn't have posted the post I posted 18 months ago now (quoted above), for instance. People do develop and alter their views. Nearly all of my posts on the Glinner thread since then have been on topic, so I think this reaction has lost perspective and feels unfair.

My last post also concedes that inevitably with less to do in lockdown people are looking around for things to do, much as I am. I acknowledged that.

My recent post on the topic is from genuine concern about hanging on one person's every move because that takes it past any academic interest in the wider topic to a level of voyeurism which may be tempting but isn't particularly healthy. I'm sure the cheap shots about Glinner's marriage break up aren't from a noble desire to understand trans rights but because people are spectating on it like a soap opera and enjoying the bit where the bad guy gets his just desserts. Fine when watching telly, a bit less when these are real people. That may not be a sensitivity other people share, so fine.

I appreciate being challenged about that may be provocative and that it takes a degree of magnanimity to reflect on.
I took the opportunity when challenged about posts such as the above to reflect on it and appreciate the arguments others made. Several others on the thread have raised the same points as this and I know from speaking about the matter outside the forum that's a view shared by others.

If you think that I'm coming from a place of bad faith and they aren't then contest the matter with them and I'll go back to ignoring the Glinner threads (as I had been doing for months at a time) and when challenged on previous topics about similar behaviour where I have voluntarily dropped all involvement.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Y'know , I reckon that underneath it all,  the Glinner is a great bunch of lads.

popcorn

Quote from: sambwel on June 21, 2020, 04:12:10 AM
The first is that we are not "A-Logging". We're not trolling Glinner or encouraging others to do so. He is behaving this way of his own accord. We are observing from a distance and talking amongst ourselves.

I can't remember from the video was "A-logging" means but of course no one here is trolling or bullying Glinner, that isn't really my point. My point is that we're cringing at him.

QuoteThe second is that we are not actually "cringing". To cringe is to identify with the subject and feel revulsion at the aspects of yourself that you see in them. The closest anyone here comes to identification with Glinner is having been a fan of his work at some point.

I guess I'm only speaking for myself here, but in my many years On The Internet I have got involved in a fair few arguments where the ranks have closed on me and I've felt frustrated about it. Part of the reason I find the Glinner situation so weirdly compelling is that I do think there is some part of me that could potentially go Glinner one day - to lose the plot so deeply that I really do end up dying on the wrong hill (and I hate that phrase). I mean, I don't actually think that, but it's the conscious recognition of something. There's nothing otherwise particularly interesting about the situation, which is otherwise just sad and seedy.

Buelligan

I don't go in the Glinner threads, don't think I ever have, simply don't have the time.  But love the titles - this latest one, every time I see it, it makes me feel happy, just knowing they're out there, in the same universe, like baby Honduran White Bats in the fold of a leaf, brings me joy.

Ferris

I understand the urge to look away, and follow exactly what other posters mean. I'm also a bit wary of his personal life - it's not public in the same way a high profile comedy writer tweeting his guff is clearly in the public sphere and fair game for comment. Does his twitter output need constant comment? I'd say yes to some extent, because he is constantly picking new and interesting avenues to have a pop at vulnerable people.

To take a point from the man himself - if we don't say anything, we are silently condoning his behaviour. If we say "what the fucks he going on about now, that seems beyond the pale and what a dick he is being" then we're making it clear for anyone who stumbles across the thread that what he's saying is not ok (and the thread is not interacting with him or encouraging anyone else to do so), I think it's reasonable.

It is a double edged point.

More fencesitting bullshit from Ferris. Discard my opinion directly into the "pleases nobody" bin.

Spiral King

A small correction from that image, as I don't think it's super clear/accurate: "A-logging" is basically "being cross at the internet" to an unhealthy degree, often as a way to disguise from ones own shortcomings[nb]The term derives from Anthony Logatto, who would obsessively disparage Christian/Christine Weston Chandler, when he was really no better in a myriad of ways.[/nb]. I'd say that sort of covers what happens in the Glinner thread, but who cares? He's awful, it's his thread and as Neil said, to try and police it is kinda tedious behaviour.

Dewt

Glinner is talked about a lot

That's because the entire situation is fascinating and galling. That's all.

Zetetic

Quote from: popcorn on June 21, 2020, 06:54:44 PM
to lose the plot so deeply that I really do end up dying on the wrong hill
I don't think it even has to be the wrong hill - it's simply the self-destructive counter-productiveness[nb]Or so I hope, in his case.[nb] in large part.

Danger Man

Quote from: Danger Man on June 21, 2020, 12:57:17 AM
Well, one reason might be ...oh forget it.

Oh thank God. I was a bit tipsy last night and woke up today thinking I posted the post I was going to post.

But I only posted this.

It's your forum Neil and you're the boss. Even when I strongly disagree with you at times!

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Danger Man on June 21, 2020, 11:44:48 PM
Oh thank God. I was a bit tipsy last night and woke up today thinking I posted the post I was going to post.

But I only posted this.

COOK'D AND BOMB'D BOURGEOIS COMPLACENCY STATUS: UNSHAKEN

Barry Admin

I knew you were likely trying to pin the blame on me anyway. Didn't care then, don't care now. I'm more hands on and bossy with the forum at the minute because covid has made it a fucking nightmare to deal with this year, and it feels like that is required.  Some dude flounced because I temporarily changed the name of the subforum, for goodness sake. You can't win so I do what I think is best, not what other people want me to do

All I want is to try and keep this place interesting to read, and I think that threads which (broadly) stay on topic are interesting, whereas threads that are constantly micromanaged by backseat moderators - and dragged offtopic or turned into repetitive meta discussions - are not.

Mr_Simnock

I think you should get help with managing the site, like in the first 3-4 years, take a bit of the pressure and work off you, you have given too much of yourself over the years.

chveik

Quote from: Danger Man on June 21, 2020, 11:44:48 PM

But I only posted this.

go on, what do you have to lose?

Captain Z

People say the Glinner stuff has run its course, I reckon it's just getting started. Glinner 6 will have to become pinned.

sambwel

Based on the responses to my remarks, I admit I was wrong, some of you ARE cringing. In which case,

PlanktonSideburns

Love how there pops up a thread called

PEDDANTS:a thread where YOU can be a pissy little can-I-talk-to-the-manager wanker

And we're all like

OOOH DON'T MIND IF I DOOOOO

Puce Moment

Buelligan

pigamus

Puce Moment

You're not wrong, but that Maddie thread is soooooo enticing.

Puce Moment

Quote from: pigamus on June 22, 2020, 10:25:15 AMWhat do you all want - a cookie?

Something like that - anything that rewards restraint really.

Buelligan

Does it really matter if Glinner has a hangup about this particular issue?

I can understand the impulse to attack Gervais for his treatment of the disabled, because he wrote, directed and starred in multiple series and specials in two separate shows about them, and it was all emblematic of his ignorance and patronising sentimentality on the subject. But Glinner hasn't made a show about trans people, and I doubt he ever will.

Buelligan

Austen had it when she wrote

QuoteFor what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?

Glinner's abject and evil insanity on this subject is so outstanding, so remarkable, it deserves examination.  There is something in the extreme nature of his position and his deranged intolerance, that promotes a sort of relief and following that, mirth, bordering on hysteria, that we are not so mad nor cursed nor driven to publicly debase ourselves, as he obviously is.

Danger Man

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 22, 2020, 10:38:20 AM
But Glinner hasn't made a show about trans people, and I doubt he ever will.

One episode of the IT Crowd was about a trans person and is where all this started.

Ironically, the IT Crowd had another episode (The Work Outing) that had ridiculous caricatures of gay people. But the Gs have to look after themselves now, it's all about the Ts!