Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:57:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinner: thread for backseat moderators and hand-wringing [split topic]

Started by QDRPHNC, June 20, 2020, 03:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Danger Man on June 22, 2020, 10:43:23 AM
One episode of the IT Crowd was about a trans person and is where all this started.

Fair enough, I didn't know that. I dropped out after the first series.

Danger Man

2nd series is the only one worth watching. They stopped shouting for a start....

Barry Admin

The threads aren't just about Graham Linehan. They also closely follow the manufactured culture war against trans people. Linehan has been instrumental in fomenting this movement for the last few years, but it's also got big, American right-wing money behind it, and is now having a real and tangible impact on the rights of an oppressed minority. All the homophobic arguments and tactics I recall observing in my youth are just being rolled out again and used against trans people, at a moment of so-called fucking introspection and progress, when statues are going swimming, pigs are kneeling, and Uncle Ben is fucking off forever.

Occasionally the threads can get a tad too... "hate-site" for my tastes, and I'll tell people off a bit. Then, invariably, Linehan will do something so breathtakingly, calculatedly cunty that I'll lose my temper and remember exactly why people have that visceral response to his bullshit. What he's doing is truly, unrelentingly despicable, and the more people calling him out for his bullshit - and standing with trans people - the better.

It gets boring having to regularly defend the threads, but I've always said I stand by them, and I'll continue to do so, Karens. If you think they're just about a sort of mean-spirited milking of a sad old lolcow who has torched his whole life and career because he couldn't handle the backlash to one episode of his sitcom, then you're doing it wrong.

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 22, 2020, 09:47:30 AM
Threads I do not visit:

Cricket

Doctor Who

Game of Thrones

I remember back when I used to watch The X Factor people would visit the thread just to add a sneery tag about how shit they thought it was. I always thought that was a bit mean-spirited- Big Brother has always been popular here and while I find that utterly baffling I also feel no need to visit those threads for a bit of a sneer. We have different tastes in shit reality TV, so what.

I have no interest in Game of Thrones or cricket and I only like Doctor Who a bit but with a bajillion other threads to read on here it's not hard to avoid those things. Those mega-threads keep things nicely contained too.

It's like those people who whine about Justin Bieber or the Kardashians as if we're all forced to watch Justin Bieber's VEVO and whatever non-terrestrial pay channel the Kardashians are on.

Buelligan

It is, although I would say, IMO, there could be very little more vacuous or boring than a fifty-pager with different versions of Hey, love those mother-fucking Kardashians repeated in every post.  As you so rightly say, were such a thing to exist, it could be avoided.

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 22, 2020, 11:47:56 AM
The threads aren't just about Graham Linehan. They also closely follow the manufactured culture war against trans people.

Okay, I understand that. But does it not mean that Linehan has become a lightning rod for a wider anger? I have to wonder if that's fair, for him to take the full brunt. It might explain why he's so agitated and splapdash with his responses on social media.

Buelligan

It's very easy to lose your footing - and your temper - if you think you're being attacked from all sides. That can turn a man petulant.

But I'm not gonna leap to his defence because I haven't actually read his Twitter and the rest of it.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 22, 2020, 02:32:25 PM
Okay, I understand that. But does it not mean that Linehan has become a lightning rod for a wider anger? I have to wonder if that's fair, for him to take the full brunt. It might explain why he's so agitated and splapdash with his responses on social media.

"...they should put up a statue in Trafalgar Square to the nanny, Louise Woodward."

QDRPHNC

You're giving more consideration to Glinner's feelings than he has given to any one of the dozens and dozens of marginalized people (including kids) who he has insulted, mocked and implied are child molesters to his half a million followers.

Fuck Glinner. He's a cunt. Fuck him. It's really no more complex than that.

earl_sleek

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 22, 2020, 02:32:25 PM

Of course it's fair. He wants to be a leader of the transphobes[nb]I refuse to call them 'gender-critical'[/nb]. If he's not up for taking some shit then he aleays has the option of taking a back seat.

Chollis

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 22, 2020, 02:47:31 PM
You're giving more consideration to Glinner's feelings than he has given to any one of the dozens and dozens of marginalized people (including kids) who he has insulted, mocked and implied are child molesters to his half a million followers.

+

thenoise

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on June 22, 2020, 12:16:11 AM
I think you should get help with managing the site, like in the first 3-4 years, take a bit of the pressure and work off you, you have given too much of yourself over the years.

Our arch nemeses female equivalents at Mumsnet employ a staff of half a dozen to keep their hoards of acronym abusers in check. This place is looked after by Barry with his mobile phone on the bus.

So behave yourselves!

Quote from: earl_sleek on June 22, 2020, 02:56:39 PM
Of course it's fair. He wants to be a leader of the transphobes.

Well. Is that true? Did he crown himself the glorious new fuhrer of the transphobes? Or is it, possibly, that he has low impulse control, can't let a comment go unanswered and gets baited into all this? Bearing in mind that he's Irish and probably drunk for 99% of his life.

Thursday

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 22, 2020, 03:05:06 PM
Bearing in mind that he's Irish and probably drunk for 99% of his life.

Christ, you really don't do yourself any favours do you.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Well. Is that true? Did he crown himself the glorious new fuhrer of the transphobes? Or is it, possibly, that he has low impulse control, can't let a comment go unanswered and gets baited into all this? Bearing in mind that he's Irish and probably drunk for 99% of his life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning

Quote from: Thursday on June 22, 2020, 03:07:56 PM
Christ, you really don't do yourself any favours do you.

But it's true. Linehan would never admit this, but Father Jack was his self-insert character.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 22, 2020, 02:41:25 PM
But I'm not gonna leap to his defence because I haven't actually read his Twitter and the rest of it.

Proceeds to leap multiple times...

Barry Admin

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 22, 2020, 03:19:53 PM
Oh no, a wikipedia theory! You've really caught me with my trousers down this time.

She did aye. This thread split was entirely for attention-seeking contrarians like you, so knock yourself out.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 22, 2020, 03:19:53 PM
Oh no, a wikipedia theory! You've really caught me with my trousers down this time.

What is this expression "wikipedia theory"?

Bernice

I don't really think it's healthy the way some people are obsessed with defending Graham Linehan.

Buelligan

What's your excuse?

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 22, 2020, 03:24:16 PM
She did aye. This thread split was entirely for attention-seeking contrarians like you, so knock yourself out.

So the slightest bit of pushback or 'I'm-not-sure-about-that' gets me othered as a contrarian. I thought I made it clear that I'm not jumping on board with his agenda. I just think it's understandable that a guy could dig his heels in and go on the defensive, against people who are wagging their fingers and telling him off. Grown men don't like to be told off, they react badly. Maybe - and I'm just saying maybe - that is what happened with Glinner.

Has anyone ever tried to open a level-headed dialogue with him about this? Or has it all been 'You must get on hands and knees and apologise to our mob?'

Buelligan

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 22, 2020, 03:34:20 PM
So the slightest bit of pushback or 'I'm-not-sure-about-that' gets me othered as a contrarian. I thought I made it clear that I'm not jumping on board with his agenda. I just think it's understandable that a guy could dig his heels in and go on the defensive, against people who are wagging their fingers and telling him off. Grown men don't like to be told off, they react badly. Maybe - and I'm just saying maybe - that is what happened with Glinner.

Has anyone ever tried to open a level-headed dialogue with him about this? Or has it all been 'You must get on hands and knees and apologise to our mob?'

I think people are getting irritated with you because you keep asking questions that you are quite capable of finding out the answers to.

earl_sleek

He actively searches out conversations that don't involve him, between people that are nothing to do with him, and butts into them. He cannot then in good faith complain that he gets responses.

But anyway he loves it. Loves feeling he's part of something, that he's an important part of the milieu, even loves people disagreeing with him because it just proves him right! Sympathy for him is misplaced, he's a pig in shit. A pig in shit that shits out its shit onto other pigs' faces, then scolds them for having, shitty, piggy faces, before licking the shit off, the fucking shitty pig.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 22, 2020, 03:34:20 PM
So the slightest bit of pushback or 'I'm-not-sure-about-that' gets me othered as a contrarian.

Think your post pretty perfectly exemplifies Barry's reason for splitting the thread.

canadagoose

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 22, 2020, 02:47:31 PM

Absolutely.