Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:12:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

Been listening to their 2003 ep with D-Side, a band who I only know because the 'Owen Jones lad' in the band is Derek Ryan, who is a sort of Shakin' Daniel O'Donnell for the boyband generation.

boki

DrGreggles

dr beat

Sad news about Janice Long passing away. Seemed a genuinely good sort from the CMP episodes she featured on.

DrGreggles

Definitely. I was introduced to a lot of stuff thanks to her Radio 1 show.

RIP

shiftwork2

Ah fuck.  I used to listen to her Radio Merseyside show Streetlife on Sunday evenings in the early 80s.  Brilliant stuff and very formative for me.  RIP Janice.

non capisco

Another brilliant episode. I keep laughing at the image Al conjured of Little Jimmy Osmond dancing on stage with his top off during Crazy Horses like Stacia out of Hawkwind. And "Two Ronnies, One Cup" made me startle an old woman on the rail replacement bus back from my parents'.

shiftwork2

Quiet on the thread.  Is it 'where to start'?

I've had an obsession with this episode for the past month or two and I am delighted that the weekly-bath and bad breath of Christmas 1972 have finally had the treatment.  Like Parkes and Kulkarni I was just about alive when this was broadcast.

There isn't a dud apart from the first Osmonds.  I like the Nielsen, it has its place.  Pans People do their best with it.  The studio is on some other planet where the Daleks are in charge.  Rock n Roll Pt 2 is a machine and I was pleased to hear it described as 'inhuman', I think by Neil.  Neil folds though, at the slightest challenge, especially with Taylor who he defers to.  I liked the description of the opening titles (which I thought were the absolute totp tits) as looking like Telford.  I also liked he fair treatment of Benny Hill.  It's just fucking bangers.  School's Out may be the fisheye-lens highlight of glam era Top Of The Pops.  In an episode plagued by safeguarding concerns there's no threat there, although that lass does look like a plant.  Chicory Tip were Number One when I was born which I'm happy about.  Crazy Horses man alive.  Fuck off Rolf. Jacko, what a talent.  And T-Rex.  The Ringo ending reminds me of the ballroom on the Poseidon Adventure.

For me it's a glimpse into a world that's simultaneously warm and familiar yet forbidding.  Chart Music has always taken me back to reframe the past but never to this degree.  Best Chart Music yet.

Taylor makes the key point that 1972 still retained a lot of 60s optimism, which has gone by 1975. The biggest surprise is how shit the TV is; did BBC and ITV spunk the entire festive budget on Xmas night or was the whole month's TV a pile a shite?

Interestingly, the US charts were even stronger this year but the UK ignored many of the best records, e.g:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(If_Loving_You_Is_Wrong)_I_Don%27t_Want_to_Be_Right

bigfatheart

I'd also been wanting them to cover this episode ever since I saw it a few months back, if only to go over the headfuck of Rolf's appearance. It had honestly never occurred to me that My Ding-a-Ling was controversial: it was decades old by the time I heard it, so all the talk I'd ever heard about it was how shit it was and what a travesty it was that it was Chuck Berry's only number one (outside of his video collection, obviously). Such a grimly absurd moment, then, if Rolf was brought on to mollify your Whitehouses who thought the song was corrupting children. The episode (of Chart Music) didn't disappoint.

I'd been rinsing the Christmas-y episodes of Chart Music in the run-up to Christmas, and while listening to last year's six-hander extravaganza, I unpaused it at the moment of Al describing breakdancers by saying "Look, Nonnar, there's some lads spinning on their heads". Short of following it up by describing it as "mint and skill", I'm not sure you could get a more perfect encapsulation of the podcast.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Two Ronnies, One Cup are a surefire chart-topper. The pop-crazed sound of 2022.

DrGreggles

Quote from: shiftwork2 on December 31, 2021, 06:46:54 PMQuiet on the thread.  Is it 'where to start'?

More a case of 'has everyone listened yet?', I suspect.

Amazing episode though. So much to take in.

jamiefairlie

Good episode but not classic. The deification of Bolan grates a bit, arrogance and ego are not that attractive to me and he was a real user of people.

The Jimmy Osmond image still has me chuckling four days later.

dr beat

Well, all I can say is thank you so much CMP team, I loved it, thought it was perfect.  All the best to all of the CMP team, stay safe and  mint and skill for 2022, from the PCY's of CAB.

rilk

Al's research for this episode was incredible.

Das Reboot

Another cracking episode, mint AND skill. But...

Quote from: jamiefairlie on January 01, 2022, 06:58:13 PMThe deification of Bolan grates a bit, arrogance and ego are not that attractive to me and he was a real user of people.

Definitely agree with this. Never really got Bolan. I like a few tunes but, meh. Thank fuck Pricey wasn't on otherwise we'd have had it in stereo. 

Quote from: shiftwork2 on December 31, 2021, 06:46:54 PMNeil folds though, at the slightest challenge, especially with Taylor who he defers to.  I

Pricey's even worse for this. Can't remember which song it was, but in one of the very early shows he did a full 180 degree pivot from coating it down to passively aggressively changing his mind after Taylor had had his say.

Egyptian Feast

Absolutely cracking episode, we've been savouring it since Xmas Eve. Unfortunately, I've been left with 'Son Of My Father' permanently stuck in my head for the last week. I still don't know the words, so have been making various witless substitutions ('Son Of A Farter', 'Son Of Madonna' etc.) which has led to the current variation "Son Of Kier Starmer/ My dad is fucking useless and I hate the cunt". It's really starting to get on my tits now.

kidsick5000

Quote from: rilk on January 02, 2022, 01:55:46 AMAl's research for this episode was incredible.

I don't think he gets enough credit for it. Especially with a 7+hour show.

I'm glad they broached the elephant in the room that is Rock and Roll Part 2.

I'd really love to know what the Chart Music crew make of Get Back. Taylor's early dismissal of its 'Instagram filter' – of all things – rubbed me the wrong way because if you see the original footage, the grain and washed-out colour, it looks like it's front the time The Beatles were sentenced to play an Eastern Europe gulag. The clean up is essential to making the whole thing watchable.

Even if they watched it in real time, it would only be a smidge longer than some Chart Music episodes.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on January 04, 2022, 05:10:11 PMAbsolutely cracking episode, we've been savouring it since Xmas Eve. Unfortunately, I've been left with 'Son Of My Father' permanently stuck in my head for the last week. I still don't know the words, so have been making various witless substitutions ('Son Of A Farter', 'Son Of Madonna' etc.) which has led to the current variation "Son Of Kier Starmer/ My dad is fucking useless and I hate the cunt". It's really starting to get on my tits now.

It's 'Stung by my father, moogling, I was googling I was free from drugs.'

https://youtu.be/IYTsgh9hU4w?t=305

non capisco

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on January 04, 2022, 05:10:11 PM"Son Of Kier Starmer/ My dad is fucking useless and I hate the cunt".

Like boki's playground corruption of Slade's Christmas song this will now be my definitive version.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: non capisco on January 05, 2022, 12:18:40 AMLike boki's playground corruption of Slade's Christmas song this will now be my definitive version.

Lol, that is a real honour. Thanks also to boki for my first nom in the Guffaw thread. Made it, Ma!

Unfortunately, this hasn't helped me pass on the earworm and it's still going strong, though this morning my brain has reverted to the earlier "Son Of Madonna/I saw my mother's fanny on the internet", which is pretty rubbish and starting to annoy my partner.

gilbertharding

Quote from: kidsick5000 on January 04, 2022, 06:31:53 PMTaylor's early dismissal of its 'Instagram filter' – of all things – rubbed me the wrong way because if you see the original footage, the grain and washed-out colour, it looks like it's front the time The Beatles were sentenced to play an Eastern Europe gulag. The clean up is essential to making the whole thing watchable.

I'm sure the actual original footage is better than the VHS version of Let It Be (1970) film I watched where they all looked like The Simpsons.

SteveDave

Having only had passing acquaintance with Son of My Father until this CM, I'm absolutely fucking sick of it being embedded in my brain for days on end. I now despise a song I'd only heard maybe once in my life before this.

Das Reboot

New poll has only just gone up, so could be a while before we get a new episode. Balls.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Das Reboot on January 24, 2022, 06:36:06 PMNew poll has only just gone up, so could be a while before we get a new episode. Balls.

Al mentions that "We've had more Spiteful Armoured Bollock-related mither", so that's why there's been a delay.

jamiefairlie

FFS! These people should have been placed in enforced isolation until it was safe! They didn't let Vera Lynn enrol in 1939 did they? They're needed for morale.

A great piece of Taylor fatalism from the most recent episode. He likens Old Ma Lieutenant Pigeon to Arthur Marshall from Call My Bluff, does a bit of Marshall shtick, then loses the will to carry on.

"Fucking Jesus Christ, this is not how it was meant to pan out for me. It's too late for marriage now. Next time I get in a big black car they'll be loading me in through the hatchback. I'm only joking, I couldn't afford a funeral."

Sorry, pop-crazed youngsters, I know that whenever anyone bumps this thread it triggers hope of a new episode having dropped (which will hopefully happen soon?). Always disappointing.

But I felt compelled to share this (to me) previously unseen clip of CMP talismans 2 Man Sound in their incendiary pomp.

Pipou there, suggesting a tantalising alternative history in which Lou Costello lived long enough to drop acid and get down with the beautiful people.