Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:22:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mortimer and Whitehouse - Gone Fishing - Series 3

Started by Brian Freeze, August 19, 2020, 06:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

It just seems like the ideal payoff for the incredibly tedious pastime of fishing - at least you get to eat it afterwards. Mind you, I've always suspected that fishists do it more for the solitude and peace and quiet than for the sheer joy of fishing.

The Mollusk

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 21, 2020, 08:33:59 AM
For me, this show feels like Mark relationship with Sophie in Peep Show. Mark is enamoured by Sophie from afar; she is after all a beautiful woman who appears to possess all of the qualities Mark needs in his life. But the closer they become, the more he realises there's not really much there. He merely fell in love with the idea of Sophie. Her childhood pet gerbil was called Gerbil. She loves "Dancing in the Moonlight" by Toploader. It's all quite insubstantial and, well, boring.

I love warm, comforting telly like Repair Shop and Detectorists, and this show has two of my biggest childhood comedy icons, one of them being the funniest man I've ever encountered and someone I'd actually consider to be a hero, but... I dunno, I just have no real desire to ever watch this. I've seen maybe four or five episodes in total across both series and it's nice enough I guess, but is it actually compelling enough to draw me back? Unfortunately not.

Of course I am in no way implying that they have to be "on" for this show or that my complaint is that it isn't funny enough. That doesn't bother me at all. I love these two men enough from their rich comedic history to allow that to take a back seat here, but there's something else that's lacking. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I am leaning towards feeling as though it's a little bit stiff for something so supposedly laid back. There's a somewhat rigid atmosphere to the whole thing which makes it feel more laboured and less natural. Not massively so, but it's enough to stop me from properly sinking into this show like the pile of cushions and cup of camomile that it deserves to be.

Half-joking here, but perhaps they could have held my interest by making it even more laboured and scripted, like The Trip. Get Winterbottom in, slap some Philip Glass on it, and have some melancholic shots of Bob alone in his yurt past bedtime, having a sad bite of some pocket meat and going "Ooh I do miss me wife a bit actually" while Paul's snuck off to the master suite of the nearby rustic hotel to fuck the face off a brown trout. Just a thought.
Quote from: neardark on August 26, 2020, 10:26:26 PM
Totally agree with this. There's simply no chemistry between them at all.

I feel the need to clarify the comments in my previous post here, as it appears that somewhere between neardark's response and the replies they have received, perhaps people might be thinking that my Peep Show analogy was referring to the relationship between Whitehouse and Mortimer, when it wasn't. I was referring to my own personal connection with the show with that.

I can certainly acknowledge the chemistry between them, but it's the rest of the show that I feel is a bit stiff or laboured in a way I can't quite put my finger on which prevents me from engaging with it.

dr beat

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 01, 2020, 01:05:54 AM
Two episodes in, and I'm still greatly enjoying this. Light, warm hearted, funny.

They have great chemistry, what youse on aboot kidda?

Glad they've stopped going on about heart healthy food, mind

They were stuffing themselves with jam butties, ringos, party rings and corn beef pie. Is that heart healthy?

the science eel

Bob still gets through a fair amount of sugary things. You see his sweetie haul now and again on Twitter.

Blue Jam

I want to steal Ted the dog, with his little powder sugar face and his tiny teefs

poodlefaker

I'm still shocked by the fact that Whitehouse isn't a naturally funny man, or at least doesn't come across as one in this. Finest comic character actor of his generation maybe, but the funny stuff in this is purely from Bob.

Tony Yeboah

Quote from: poodlefaker on September 08, 2020, 03:27:54 PM
I'm still shocked by the fact that Whitehouse isn't a naturally funny man, or at least doesn't come across as one in this. Finest comic character actor of his generation maybe, but the funny stuff in this is purely from Bob.

Oh I dunno:

Bob: The irony of course being he didn't like peaches.
Paul: Or sunshine.

Shit Good Nose

Great episode tonight. I'm really enjoying this series, it's certainly hit it's stride. Gives me a nice warm feeling..

ollyboro

Using the net as a tennis racket and doing a Cliff Richard impression was fucking genius.

the science eel

I take back what I said earlier - this is a lovely little show and I think this series has been the best so far. And there definitely IS real chemistry between them and they're fun to listen to - but I wish just ONCE Paul would entertain some of Bob's more fanciful (but honestly and seriously posed) notions for more than 3 seconds.

Bob Mortimer is the sweetest man in comedy today.

Utter Shit

I love Bob Mortimer so much. "Paul, would you say I'm one of the emerging talents of fly fishing?"

Pranet

Just watched episode 4 which seems like was the first post covid one. It may be projection but it seems like it had the slightly hysterical feel that I have whenever I do anything faintly normal at the moment.

Mr_Simnock

Malcy

Getting a 4th series. I still haven't finished the 1st!

shiftwork2

I'd had enough after the second series but there's apparently been 1.8 million viewers which seems pretty bloody good.

Got that from chortle which also mentions

QuoteCommissioning editor: Max Gogarty

who I had completely forgotten about.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I tried doing that Babybel candle trick today and it worked first time. I don't normally buy Babybel either, I'd bought them for the sole purpose of trying it out.

magval

Anyone mentioned the character Whitehouse plays in the the Brian Pern shows who, in order to make some money in the wind-down years of his career, starts presenting a show about fishing?

The Mollusk

Quote from: magval on October 09, 2020, 05:26:10 PM
Anyone mentioned the character Whitehouse plays in the the Brian Pern shows who, in order to make some money in the wind-down years of his career, starts presenting a show about fishing?

Heh, I watched Brian Pern for the first time a couple of months back and that nod to real life activity made me laugh, yeah.

magval

Other way about though isn't it, the last Pern predates this by a good few years.

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: shiftwork2 on September 29, 2020, 06:42:49 PM
Max Gogarty

Known in our house after Shaftoe Jnr had a dessert accident as 'Max Yoghurty'.

The Mollusk

Quote from: magval on October 09, 2020, 05:38:11 PM
Other way about though isn't it, the last Pern predates this by a good few years.

Oh, has Whitehouse not been into fishing for years then? I assumed it was a long-time hobby which he eventually invited Bob to try out after they both had scares with their dicky tickers.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 09, 2020, 05:50:36 PM
Oh, has Whitehouse not been into fishing for years then? I assumed it was a long-time hobby which he eventually invited Bob to try out after they both had scares with their dicky tickers.

Whitehouse is a lifelong fisherman.

magval

He is aye, it's more the career application of that hobby moving from parody to reality I'm highlighting.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: magval on October 09, 2020, 06:59:05 PM
He is aye, it's more the career application of that hobby moving from parody to reality I'm highlighting.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if that facet of the character was Whitehouse's suggestion.

magval

Here, that wee shoulder twitch Ed Begley Jr does in your avatar is one of my favourite things in that film. He makes such an impression in that tiny appearance.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: magval on October 09, 2020, 08:08:19 PM
Here, that wee shoulder twitch Ed Begley Jr does in your avatar is one of my favourite things in that film. He makes such an impression in that tiny appearance.

You're right. It's so beautifully done. RIP John "Stumpy" Pepys.

jobotic

Anyone watch the Xmas special?

Enjoyed Bob's visit to Middlesborough.

That Chris Rea eh?

Didn't enjoy the OFAH bit.

I want to walk round the countryside and stay in nice cottages.

"An axle" made me laugh out loud.

frajer

Only found out the Christmas special existed about half an hour before it went out!

Really enjoyed it, although (as always) the stories of little Bob learning of his father's sudden demise turned me into a crumpled blubbering mess.

Very funny episode that sustained the hour length nicely. Cracking to see
Spoiler alert
a Christmassy return from breakout Series 3 star Ted.
[close]

Quote"An axle" made me laugh out loud.

Yeah that was a good'un. The one that got me creasing was, "Paul, you never run down stairs."