Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:39:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mortimer and Whitehouse - Gone Fishing - Series 3

Started by Brian Freeze, August 19, 2020, 06:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

I really enjoyed it, but Bob carried the whole thing. It seemed like Paul had been reluctantly dragged out of his armchair for every fucking scene. Maybe that was the point, but I don't think so.

Clever that they didn't give the game away by saying 'carol singers? in October?'

I got the impression they filmed Chris Rea for two hours but only 18 seconds were usable. He was up and off without much of a goodbye. Hope he's OK.

Norton Canes

I wonder if the current owners of his childhood house were watching as he slagged off their untidy garden? Hope so.

jobotic

Quote from: frajer on December 14, 2020, 11:48:38 AM

Yeah that was a good'un. The one that got me creasing was, "Paul, you never run down stairs."

Ha, yes that was good.

And Rea just saying "Right I'm off" and fucking off.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: jobotic on December 14, 2020, 02:04:15 PM
Ha, yes that was good.

And Rea just saying "Right I'm off" and fucking off.

I don't know what it was on top of Rea's head but I found it very unsettling.

Bob's 'see ya, mum' and his ambivalence over the state of his childhood home's overgrown garden brought a little lump to the throat, although I'm not sure how I feel about how frequently the tragedy surrounding Bob's dad has been brought up for a bit of pathos here and in the last series. Feels a tiny bit forced to me.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

When Rea walked in through the restaurant doors I honestly didn't know it was him. I thought it was just some old bloke they'd filmed wandering in to get a drink.
I'm presuming Whitehouse was playing Trigger in the OFAH thing.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 01, 2020, 02:10:28 PM
The only "eating" freshwater fish are really just trout, salmon and eels.  Although you can still land trout and salmon for the table, more and more anglers these days tend to opt for the American style catch and release (there are also huge restrictions on taking wild salmon and eels now).

Some of the coarse fish (carp, pike and perch) are edible, but carp and pike aren't particularly nice and once you dig out the bones from a perch there's fuck all left. 

Grayling - another game fish - is edible, but it's a protected species so you're not allowed to take any home.

quite fancy some grayling now

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on December 14, 2020, 04:25:55 PM
When Rea walked in through the restaurant doors I honestly didn't know it was him. I thought it was just some old bloke they'd filmed wandering in to get a drink.
I'm presuming Whitehouse was playing Trigger in the OFAH thing.

Grandad

(original grandad, not Uncle Grandad)

Alberon

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on December 14, 2020, 04:53:43 PM
Grandad

(original grandad, not Uncle Grandad)

Can't believe I'm spoiler protecting a fucking musical[nb]Present for the wife, but I couldn't just get her one ticket and make her go on her own.[/nb], but
Spoiler alert
Whitehouse does do an admittedly very good Uncle Albert cameo near the end of the show.
[close]

shiftwork2

I enjoyed this enough to watch it again shortly after.  Surprised to see that Chris Rea is now a full-on gentleman of the rails but he seemed quite chipper especially given his health woes.

Norton Canes

Quote from: trabuch on December 20, 2020, 12:01:35 AM
Bob's doing a spin off on YouTube. Gone Cooking.  You gotta love him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHJ6f8OjYEU

That's brilliant, I've watched it twice now. And I hate corned beef.

beanheadmcginty

Nearly had a full Raoul Moat situation in last night's special.

PaulTMA

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

This is one of those Christmas Specials what suffers most from the " Clearly Filmed In September, Or Thereabouts" effect. Lots of green on the trees, people wandering about in shirt sleeves, etc.
Wonder if that big fuck -off salmon that Bob caught at the end was planted?

danwho9

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 29, 2021, 08:41:12 AMWonder if that big fuck -off salmon that Bob caught at the end was planted?

We were talking about this. I reckon probably not, but if he hadn't caught one they'd have edited the programme differently so as not to build up the idea so much.

And I'm no angler but isn't it the case that English salmon aren't necessarily hard to catch, it's just that they're only found in a handful of water courses?

gib

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on December 30, 2021, 11:09:25 AMWe were talking about this. I reckon probably not, but if he hadn't caught one they'd have edited the programme differently so as not to build up the idea so much.

And I'm no angler but isn't it the case that English salmon aren't necessarily hard to catch, it's just that they're only found in a handful of water courses?

Also, Bob's reaction to the catch seemed completely genuine.

Mr Trumpet

Yeah it might be that he's a brilliant actor. On the other hand I saw Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased).

beanheadmcginty

Yeah, it's clearly a case of editing backwards. If he hadn't caught the salmon then it wouldn't have been the focus of the episode. So the catch is genuine but the build up is manipulated. I'm OK with that.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Always nice to see St. Helens lass made good Jacqueline Abbot on the telly. Fond memories of her teenage self stalking my mate when he was in a band ( He was actually genuinely scared of her. She's very tall).

turnstyle

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 30, 2021, 01:59:33 PM( He was actually genuinely scared of her. She's very tall).

What, like 20 foot? Because fair play that would be fucking terrifying.

Had forgotten this was on, will check it out later with an obscenely large festive bag of cheese balls as a companion.