Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:15:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Strange well-written comedy podcasts/shows that aren't improvised or interviews

Started by ASFTSN, August 21, 2020, 11:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASFTSN

Getting a bit sick of hearing comedians interviewing other comedians.....with a twist on podcasts. I feel really bad saying that because I know it's a source of income for comedians in a time where their other sources have been denied to them and that does suck. 

But is there anything else out there like Capital or the Beef and Dairy Network. Weird, well-written self-contained fictional audio-only comedy worlds that are funny, have odd characters and might have flown under the radar?

EDIT: I guess the Fat Pie podcast is another refeence point.

thr0b

Pappy's Flatshare Slamdown is a silly panel game, if you like that sort of thing. I do.

They also do Bangers and Mash, which is a semi-improvised sketch show, in that they have a chat and then do some sketches based on the conversation.

paruses

Definitely try Brian and Roger.

I used to listen to one where they recorded unmade TV sitcom pilots. Had its moments but not world building as individual episodes. Someone might beat me to the name of it.

Any one listened Hard Pencil (I think). Sounds bit radio 4 to me.

phantom_power

How to Burn a Million Quid is a humorous fictional retelling of the story of the KLF, narrated by a transmogrifying Ken Campbell

Pink Gregory

Worst Writer in the World is fun.  Two friends read one friend's scripts and stories from the ages of 8-23 or so and laugh at it. 

One of those scripts actually got picked up and made into a film, which is also fun.

Small Man Big Horse

Your description essentially sums up Kim Noble's new podcast Futile Attempts (At Surviving Tomorrow) which is currently being discussed here: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,46440.30.html

Pink Gregory

Not strictly podcasts (mainly old radio), but have a look on Fourble as well

Ferris

Whatever Happened To Pizza At McDonald's?

First few eps are rough, but it gets so so good. It is the only podcast I look forward to every week. More people should listen to it - it is dry and clever and very funny. If you liked Nathan For You, it plays to a similar sense of humour.

QDRPHNC

ASFTSN

Quote from: phantom_power on August 21, 2020, 01:11:13 PM
Brian and Roger is good

I listened to the first three, this is like CAB: Desolation posts in audio form. Loving it so far, the sense of foreboding about exactly what's going to happen to Roger each episode, plus the loneliness that comes from the completely implausible device of these two only communicating via voicemail.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, seems like a ton of stuff to dig into.

chveik

DrGreggles

I've mentioned DONE DISAPPEARED before, but it's good so I'll mention it again :
DONE DISAPPEARED

privatefriend

British comic Rob Auton has a short daily podcast, he reads bits of his writing/comedy.

easytarget

dead-pilots-society on the maximum fun podnetwork

Takes the pilot for a script that was never picked up and has the comics of the day* act it out.
Then there's an interview with the writer that I assume you'll skip.

Hit and miss but a great concept and confusing because now I think I've seen some of these non-existent shows.

*People from Brooklyn 99 etc.

paruses

Quote from: easytarget on August 22, 2020, 06:03:29 AM
dead-pilots-society on the maximum fun podnetwork

Takes the pilot for a script that was never picked up and has the comics of the day* act it out.
Then there's an interview with the writer that I assume you'll skip.

Hit and miss but a great concept and confusing because now I think I've seen some of these non-existent shows.

*People from Brooklyn 99 etc.

Yes. That's the one I was thinking of above. Determined not to google it. Hit and miss but a great concept indeed.

Captain Crunch

I always found Welcome to Night Vale quite funny, nice dry sort of humour.

Some good suggestions in here, will investigate.

Icehaven

I've recently been enjoying This Foul Earth by John Tucker. The first episode about the newspaper eater nearly put me off as it's very weak compared to the rest but it gets so much better. It's on various podcast places anyway.

Thosworth

Quote from: Captain Crunch on August 22, 2020, 11:19:16 PMI always found Welcome to Night Vale quite funny, nice dry sort of humour.

My problem with Night Vale was that they didn't go the extra mile and make it sound like actual broadcasts, with jingles and voice actors. It's just text read out - like someone reading out the Scarfolk books to you.

Mike Wozniak's St Elwick's Neighbourhood Association Newsletter Podcast is excellent. He plays a perpetually flustered editor of a neighbourhood association newsletter who's had to move to podcasting because of the pandemic.

His in-character twitter account is quite funny as well.

studpuppet

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 21, 2020, 03:30:05 PMI've mentioned DONE DISAPPEARED before, but it's good so I'll mention it again :
DONE DISAPPEARED

You may have mentioned DONE DISAPPEARED before, and it may be good but it seems to have DONE DISAPPEARED from all the podcast apps (well not disappeared exactly but none of the links anywhere seem to point to valid files). I don't suppose you have them saved anywhere?

Edit: forgot to say Gelmania seems good from the couple of ones I've listened to so far.