Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:58:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spider-Man 3: Into the Spider-Verse 2?

Started by Mister Six, October 15, 2020, 09:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Nerd websites aflurry with claims that Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield will turn up in Spider-Man 3, assisted by Doctor Strange, which would make sense of Jamie Foxx's claim that he would be returning to the role of Amazing Spider-Man 2 villain Electro.

I know Holland was campaigning for this a few years back, but it feels like a big oof to me. I like both Maguire and Garfield, but Spider-Verse already did basically this with far more aplomb and imagination than a live-action MCU vehicle could possibly achieve. Also, the business in Far From Home already felt too big and epic. Is it too much to ask for just another exciting adventure in Manhattan against villains that aren't threatening the whole world/different dimensions? I loved how low-key Vulture was after endless flicks about Thor or whoever trying to save the whole world/universe from destruction. Spidey is about the only street-level hero in an increasingly cosmic MCU, so doing a reality-crossing caper with Doctor Strange voguing around in the background is getting away from what seems like the character's USP in the series.

Ah well.

madhair60

Glebe

Mister Six

Oh yeah, I meant to mention that - wonder if they're trying to head off DCEU at the pass, and which one is further along in production? DC must be shitting themselves as Flash is meant to be a big reboot of their line and the many Batmen thing is the big gimmick, so Marvel doing the same thing with Tobey M's Spider-Man (a substantially bigger draw than Keaton or Batfleck, let's face it) is not great news for them.

surreal

Might be Sony looking for a way to split back off from reliance on Marvel again, having different universes gives them options I guess.  All this will be tied up with Strange 2 and the WandaVision TV show which seems to be going the House of M route, presumably also to give Marvel a way to introduce mutants properly?

I think the next MCU wave is going to be very divisive if they're not careful - getting people onboard who were all about the Avengers is going to be tricky now that the most popular ones are gone.  Can't see there being a big rush of popularity for The Eternals tbh.

phantom_power

I don't think Thor, Iron Man, Black Widow etc. were particularly popular before the MCU started using them

wooders1978

There's already enough (justified) criticism that current Peter Parker is a whitewashed miles morales - I recon they'll be thinking twice

frajer

Quote from: Mister Six on October 15, 2020, 09:30:03 PM
Is it too much to ask for just another exciting adventure in Manhattan against villains that aren't threatening the whole world/different dimensions? I loved how low-key Vulture was after endless flicks about Thor or whoever trying to save the whole world/universe from destruction.

Same. Even his trip round Europe seemed needless, especially as all of the attacks and stuff that happens in these countries could easily have happened in Manhattan and would have felt much more like the friendly neighbourhood webslinger from the comics.

But then I don't really like that he's riddled with Stark Tech, so I'm not sure the MCU Spider-Man will ever get better than his appearance in Civil War for me.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's odd that Homecoming was all about Peter realising he doesn't need all the fancy Stark gear, but then his every appearance since has been defined by Tony giving him yet more of the stuff. I'm no comics purist and I'm sure this next film will be fun but, yeah, I wish we had more of the friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man. Holland is the best live-action Spidey by some distance, I reckon.

Glebe

Quote from: phantom_power on October 16, 2020, 12:18:14 PMI don't think Thor, Iron Man, Black Widow etc. were particularly popular before the MCU started using them

Yeah, to be fair, Iron Man was not a hugely well-known comic character among the general public when the first film came out, and there was obviously a bit of risk involved, but he ended up as the figurehead of the whole MCU.

Famous Mortimer

I'm not the biggest comics fan in the world, but I remember The Ultimates being a pretty big deal (where Iron Man was drawn as Robert Downey Jr and Nick Fury as Samuel L Jackson, either as a joke or because a contract had already been signed).

I think that's been a fairly standard thing in comics for ages. I don't know about Downey, but I believe the only reason Jackson didn't sue them for face infringement was that Marvel gave him first refusal on the role if Fury ever did appear in films.

samadriel

I don't recall Ultimate Tony being drawn like RDJ, and Hitch and Millar aren't subtle about basing their characters on celebrities (there's a panel of Thor that's basically a massive line drawing of Brad Pitt). They were the first to base Fury on Jackson though, it's true - he existed in the Ultimate universe before The Ultimates, but Hitch and Millar made him the slaphead with a goatee. I wouldn't link the Ultimates too closely to the MCU, it just happened to have celebrities "starring" as characters several years before the MCU came about. None of the meat of The Ultimates, which was absolutely terrible, can be found in the generally far superior MCU.

Kelvin

This thread's prompted me to finally buy Into The Spiderverse.

Looks amazing, and I've basically seen half of it in YouTube clips, but I really should see them in chronological order.

samadriel

Oh yeah, the kind of metabolism that can watch Batman vs Superman eight times should have noooo problem with ItSV.

Kelvin

Quote from: samadriel on October 16, 2020, 03:20:47 PM
Oh yeah, the kind of metabolism that can watch Batman vs Superman eight times should have noooo problem with ItSV.

Yes, but Batman is 8 times better than Spider-Man.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: surreal on October 16, 2020, 11:17:40 AMI think the next MCU wave is going to be very divisive if they're not careful - getting people onboard who were all about the Avengers is going to be tricky now that the most popular ones are gone.  Can't see there being a big rush of popularity for The Eternals tbh.
Presumably the Eternals one is looking to create another "Guardians of the Galaxy" type affair where you take characters most folk have no idea about and get a hit.

I imagine Marvel felt fairly confident that even though Captain America and Iron Man were gone, they still had Black Panther and Spider-Man (plus Dr Strange to perhaps a lesser degree) to build a new "team" around for the next ten years. Obviously Chadwick Boseman's passing complicates all that considerably.

Mister Six

Quote from: wooders1978 on October 16, 2020, 12:22:49 PM
There's already enough (justified) criticism that current Peter Parker is a whitewashed miles morales - I recon they'll be thinking twice

Eh?

Mister Six

Quote from: Kelvin on October 16, 2020, 03:13:16 PM
This thread's prompted me to finally buy Into The Spiderverse.

Looks amazing, and I've basically seen half of it in YouTube clips, but I really should see them in chronological order.

Watch it on the biggest, most colourful screen you can, with the volume up. It's the best comic book movie ever, I think. Certainly the best animated comic book movie.

kittens

i honestly couldn't see what was supposed to be so great about it. it was o.k.

BritishHobo

I'd welcome this news purely because I'd be very happy to see Garfield again. No doubt his second film was proper gash, but I thought his charisma and his chemistry with Emma Stone made them the only superhero films I'd bother rewatching.

Again, I'm not a comics stickler, and only know the character from Spiderverse and the PS4 game, but isn't Miles essentially the same as Peter?

magval

Is it because he has an Asian best friend? I just recently read the initial pre-Secret War run of Miles comics and I don't see anything else familiar. He lives with his aunt, his uncle's dead. Miles and Peter are themselves very familiar characters under Bendis' pen but their surroundings are very different, and apart from Ganke/Ned, I'm not seeing it.

Mister Six

Quote from: wooders1978 on October 16, 2020, 06:09:48 PM
A fair few people are saying Holland's Peter Parker is Miles's character

Yeah, I gathered - I mean why do they say this? What's their reasoning? Peter as a schoolboy nerd was how the comic started, so I don't see it.

Kelvin

Quote from: Mister Six on October 16, 2020, 08:08:49 PM
Yeah, I gathered - I mean why do they say this? What's their reasoning? Peter as a schoolboy nerd was how the comic started, so I don't see it.

I've heard it mentioned that his friend - I don't know his name - is basically a character from Miles' stories.

Maybe also the fact that he's motivated/inspired by an older, more experienced superhero in Stark, like Miles is with Parker?

magval

Quote from: Kelvin on October 16, 2020, 08:17:05 PM
I've heard it mentioned that his friend - I don't know his name - is basically a character from Miles' stories.

Maybe also the fact that he's motivated/inspired by an older, more experienced superhero in Stark, like Miles is with Parker?

Aye, like I said above, but that's not his character!

On the second point, Peter was dead for most of Miles' run as Spider-Man. He's not his Iron Man, he's his Uncle Ben.

JamesTC

Bet Iron Man returns as he is alive in another dimension.

Glebe

Not seen Into the Spider-Verse but I've just discovered its coming to Netflix next month so yay.