Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:35:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - the sixth (and final) season

Started by Blue Jam, February 24, 2021, 12:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Timothy on January 20, 2022, 11:21:59 AMThanks for this! Unfortunately I won't be able to attend but the signed book sounds great.

The virtual event might be an option if you can stay up late for it! Also remember more dates are being announced. I really hope he makes it to Edinburgh or Glasgow.

Handy link for signed copies of the book:

https://www.waterstones.com/book/comedy-comedy-comedy-drama/bob-odenkirk//9781399705028

It's probably worth starting a thread about the book+tour in Comedy Chat but I'm a bit tired of people taking the piss, meh.

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Some pics from filming of the final episode have emerged- SPOILER WARNING:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZAgzniP3Rk/?hl=en

Spoiler alert
Fake snow, multiple Omaha Police cars- is Gene going daaaaaahn? Looks like we're getting plenty of Gene scenes anyway!
[close]

Blue Jam

It looks like Man Mountain won't be back- some very sad news:

https://mobile.twitter.com/tomschnauz/status/1485083175294431234

Seems he's got a very severe form of amyloidosis which sounds absolutely horrific.

It's heartening to see several peeps from the BCS cast and crew rallying round and helping him out with his medical bills and support for his family. A sad case of life imitating art thanks to the US healthcare system.

mothman

https://twitter.com/bettercallsaul/status/1490762339146211332

Spoiler alert
Suggestions abound that the letters D and R - the 4th and 18th letters of the alphabet - indicate it's starting 4/18 - 18th April; but I thought it was going to be later in the year...

And would the Mexican Police even be called for an incident on a drug lord's hacienda? You'd think they'd cover it up.
[close]

Blue Jam

SQUEEEEEEE... there were absolutely bloody loads of teasers before season 5 dropped, time to get excited.

There's been speculation that we'll get another teaser or maybe even a full trailer during the Superbowl on Sunday. Might be a bit pricey for AMC but hey, this is the end of the BrBa universe we're talking about.

Also it now looks like shooting is due to wrap tomorrow (according to the costumer on Twitter) or Wednesday (according the the extras casting agency on Facebook).

JaDanketies

Did ya see that movie he did recently? 90 fun action-packed minutes. You can't go wrong with that. Perfect movie length. Nobody, it was called.

Blue Jam

iirc ThunderBob Nobody was advertised during last year's Superb Owl. Will be keeping a lookout for a BCS ad spot. Half-time entertainment looks decent as well.

Racy's got a film coming out too:

https://dropthespotlight.com/linoleum-world-premiere-in-the-narrative-feature-competition-at-the-2022-sxsw-film-festival-featuring-jim-gaffigan-rhea-seehorn/

QuoteWhen a satellite falls from orbit and crashes into the home of a dysfunctional family in suburban Ohio, the father seizes the opportunity to fulfill his childhood dream of becoming an astronaut by re-creating the machine as his own rocket ship.

Sounds a bit like Dee-Dee, haha. Nah, sounds like a sweet little film, I'll check it out.

Blue Jam

Luis Moncada has apparently let slip that shooting wraps tomorrow.

Blue Jam

Lengthy and interesting interview with Odenkirk for the New York Times here, with Seehorn and Gilligan chipping in, partly carried out on set during the shooting of the final episode. Lots of intriguing (and possibly minorly spoilery) details- maybe wait until S6 airs, or be prepared to skip over certain paragraphs if you're going to read this. It's all pretty vague, and knowing Vince Gilligan and how he's got the cast all trained to keep schtum it's possibly totally misleading and doesn't actually give anything away, but you have been warned- spoilery highlights summarised below:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/09/magazine/bob-odenkirk-better-call-saul.html?smid=url-share

*ouch*

Spoiler alert
My first glimpse of Odenkirk came via a pair of monitors wedged into the open garage of a suburban home, on the northeast side of town. It was a punishingly cold evening, which seemed even colder thanks to a scattering of fake snow arranged outside the house. Crew members huddled in winter coats, and production vehicles sat humming up and down the block. Odenkirk, who'd recently turned 59, was here to shoot a scene from an episode that will air later this year during the show's sixth and final season. Gilligan himself was on hand to direct, adding to the last-hurrah ambience: "We have to be out of here tonight," Gilligan told me in the garage, eating a slice of pizza from the catering truck before darting back inside, "so there's a little time pressure."

Inside the house, a cameraman captured a beguiling tableau: There was a glass-topped watch winder, lined with felt and fitted with three fancy-looking timepieces, each traveling in its own hypnotically undulating orbit. A few inches away stood a framed photograph of a dog and, next to this, a squat urn.

Framed from overhead, Odenkirk shuffled into the shot and planted himself in front of these things, telegraphing a faint, happy drunkenness, with just a few grunts and an impressive economy of motion. He set down a glass of liquor next to the urn and proceeded to pluck the watches from the winder, stuffing them into his coat pocket. Slowly, the camera tracked forward, making clear that Odenkirk stood on a balcony overlooking a living room — and, a beat later, revealing a jarring sight on the floor below. Lagging behind the camera, Odenkirk casually peered over the balcony's edge and, spotting the thing in question, reacted with a jolt, his boozy contentedness giving way, abruptly, to a silent-comedy pantomime of terror.

"This is the God's-eye view," Gilligan called out to Odenkirk, explaining the mechanics of the shot. "We see something a second before you do." They filmed one take, then another, the sequence short but demanding precisely timed interplay between camera and actor. "It's really funny," Gilligan told Odenkirk of his performance. "Let's do one where you hang out there a touch longer."

"Maybe the camera shouldn't move till I touch the urn?" Odenkirk suggested.

"Yeah," Gilligan replied, "but let's perfect this version first, where we see it before you do. That's how the Coens would do it, and I love those guys."

That night's shoot required something besides verbal acrobatics, though. Gilligan showed me an iPad with a schematic of the set, upon which he'd diagramed Odenkirk's looping path through the house and the camera angles he devised to capture it. "I think it's going to be a very shocking and dismaying sequence for the audience and one that does not have the benefit of dialogue," Gilligan told me. "Bob doesn't say a single word, and what he's known for is his mouth," but "he really made himself indispensable to this show because we realized there's so much more to him than his mouth."

For five hours I watched as he sneaked around the house, engaging in a weird cat-and-mouse game with another character. "This is optional," Odenkirk told Gilligan after some sneaking, his brain unable to resist subtextual probing, "but I think part of him enjoys this? The romance of danger?"

Gilligan nodded, by way of saying no: "I think you need to play it more like, Ah, I gotta get outta here," he replied, "otherwise it'll play weird."
[close]

*tumblin' tumbleweed*

Looks like Kim
Spoiler alert
definitely breaks bad
[close]
too:

Spoiler alert
Seehorn asked Odenkirk how the night shoots had been going, commiserating about the disorientation of keeping nocturnal hours. "I had to do it with Vince," she said, "when I go out to — " here, she whispered something Kim does this coming season, that, if I heard correctly, was just enough of a spoiler to omit here. "My character doesn't usually do things at night," she told me. "Not outside. She's like an indoor cat! But this year I had things to do that usually only Bob does."
[close]

...and we're getting a
Spoiler alert
Gene finale
[close]
too,
Spoiler alert
without Kim- Rhea Seehorn hasn't read the script... :(
[close]

Spoiler alert
Odenkirk stood with Rhea Seehorn at the kitchen island in their house, talking about the finale of "Better Call Saul" — very carefully, because I was there. Odenkirk read Gould's script the night before, and Seehorn didn't try to hide her curiosity.

"You have 13?" she asked, eyes wide, referring to the episode number. "You like it?"
[close]

Also I think this may be the first time he's talked about his heart attack at length. It sounds like he was scarily close to death there, and what saved him was deciding to stay on set for a bit to hang out with Rhea'n'Patrick in the vicinity of a defibrillator and a trained medic, rather than going back to his trailer and collapsing there, alone. Brrrrrr.

Blue Jam

Ja'moke

The first 7 episodes of the 13-episode final season premieres on April 18 with two back to back episodes.

The final 6 episodes will start July 11.

EDIT: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/better-call-saul-final-season-premiere-date-1235090261/

JamesTC

QuoteThe split will allow Better Caul Saul to compete for Emmys both this year and in 2023, as eligibility for the latter begins in June.

If those bastards ignore Rhea Seehorn one more time...

Blue Jam

Quote from: JamesTC on February 10, 2022, 05:01:03 PMIf those bastards ignore Rhea Seehorn one more time...

I sincerely hope she's in both halves... :'(

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 10, 2022, 05:03:57 PMI sincerely hope she's in both halves... :'(

Oh she'll be in halves alright.

I'm so relieved that the gap is just a few weeks. We've been through enough.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Ja'moke on February 10, 2022, 04:55:04 PMThe first 7 episodes of the 13-episode final season premieres on April 18 with two back to back episodes.

The final 6 episodes will start July 11.

EDIT: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/better-call-saul-final-season-premiere-date-1235090261/

Oh yeahhhh!

Blue Jam

buttgammon

I can't remember looking forward to a series of a TV programme as much as this. The split suits me, in that I get to spread out the (hopefully) enjoyment over more of the year.

Blue Jam

I am seriously considering booking time off work for this. For the finale, certainly. Gonna get in some rip-off Cinnabons and have a few Rusty Nails.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

heading to a friend's for the breaking bad finale instead of going to work that morning was one of the nicest bloody feelings of my life. definitely doing that again!

Blue Jam

I remember our dear departed Serge having a watch party for the BrBa finale and this is also just making me sad that he won't be here for this one.

I'll pour a sip of Zafiro Anejo on the concrete for you, Serge xxx

Blue Jam

First few stills from the new season, showing Jimmy, Kim, Mike and Gus:

https://ew.com/tv/better-call-saul-final-season-premiere-date-photos/

That shadow behind Kim is
Spoiler alert
Lalo
[close]
isn't it?

QuoteIn addition, AMC announced that three short-form digital series in the Saul universe will premiere in the spring. The six-part animated series Slippin' Jimmy chronicles the exploits of Jimmy McGill in his youth. The six-episode Cooper's Bar — which features Seehorn as "an awful Hollywood executive" — centers on character actor Cooper (Mike & Molly's Lou Mustillo) and the patrons of his L.A. neighborhood bar. The Better Call Saul Employee Training Video series also returns with new installments.

mjwilson

An animated series of baby Jimmy might be taking things one step too far.

mothman

https://twitter.com/mandomichael/status/1491863326707511301

QuoteAPRIL 18 ... ⏱ Tick Tick BOOM 💥 #BetterCallSaul season 6 premier !

I presume this is a staged photo, and they're definitely not playing around with firearms between scenes, not post-Halyna Hutchins...

Man, when this show ends, it'll really be the end of an era.

Blue Jam

More on Slippin' Jimmy:

Quote"Slippin' Jimmy," a six-part animated series from the world of "Better Call Saul," follows the misadventures of a young Jimmy McGill and his childhood friends in Chicago. Told in the style of classic 70s-era cartoons, each episode is an ode to a specific movie genre — from spaghetti westerns and Buster Keaton to "The Exorcist." Premiering on AMC's digital platforms this spring, the series is produced by "Rick and Morty" animators Starburns and written by "Better Call Saul" writers Ariel Levine and Kathleen Williams-Foshee. Voice talent includes Chi McBride, Laraine Newman and Sean Giambrone, among others.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/better-call-saul-season-6-premiere-1235174021/

Baby Jimmy and Baby Marco:

Baby grifters:

A preview clip is also out, looks like this is from the episode which parodies spaghetti westerns:

I had pictured Jimmy and Marco in this as 20-somethings, voiced by the same actors. I didn't realise it would feature Jimmy as an actual child, or there would be a different voice actor, but I suppose it wouldn't make sense for baby Jimmy to have a gravelly 40-a-day voice.

I'm not sure about this but I'm trying to keep an open mind, it does at least sound like it was made with love and the writers had a lot of fun with it. Looks like it may just be one of those online-only extra things, like the madrigal Electromotive and Los Pollos Hermanos Employee Training series. Just a cute little bonus thing, not really deserving of the little backlash it's already getting.

Blue Jam

Yes, that is f*cking funny. Who knew Mr Peanutbutter could be so dark?

Blue Jam

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 07, 2022, 10:16:49 PMThere's been speculation that we'll get another teaser or maybe even a full trailer during the Superbowl on Sunday.

Yep:

https://www.adweek.com/convergent-tv/amc-super-bowl-ad-better-call-saul-walking-dead-finales/amp/

That's about 1am GMT. Won't be on the BBC of course but should hit YouTube or Twitter shortly afterwards.