Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:49:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jay Johnston (Mr Show, Sarah Silverman Show) allegedly sighted at Capitol Riots

Started by Ornlu, March 05, 2021, 08:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colacentral

I genuinely thought this whole thing was a joke.

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on March 06, 2021, 08:36:36 PM
Maybe, maybe not. (Cross got a similar cold shoulder from Odenkirk when they first met, so could be something that happens when you spend enough time in LA.) Cross did stuff in Tom Goes to the Mayor and Awesome Show Great Job!, so if that's the case, it didn't last.

(Also, I've interacted with Cross, and he couldn't have been nicer, so pfffft.)

Cross used to be a cokehead, and I do know of someone who was an aspiring writer, who became friends with Odenkirk, who then tried to pair him up with Cross to try writing together, and he said Cross was arrogant and coked up and couldn't have been less welcoming, and consequently put this person off trying to write with any of them. Anecdotal story mind, so obviously take it with a pinch of salt.

Tim Heidecker and Tom Scharpling made a video a few years ago that was generally assumed to be a passive aggressive dig at Paul F. Thompkins, and from what I recall, Brian Posehn was meant to be difficult to work with too.

McChesney Duntz

I guess it's just wise to assume that anybody with any admirable talent is a miserable, unpleasant asshole and hope to be pleasantly surprised when it turns out not to be the case.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah if that thing about him not being welcomed with wide open arms (which sounds incredibly arrogant to me, they were nobodies, why should they be welcomed with open arms by everyone? "Oh Tim, you've finally arrived!" But then I'm not the world's biggest Tim & Eric fan) is true, it could be any one of the main Mr Show core from back then, really.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 07, 2021, 07:16:26 PM
Yeah if that thing about him not being welcomed with wide open arms (which sounds incredibly arrogant to me, they were nobodies, why should they be welcomed with open arms by everyone? "Oh Tim, you've finally arrived!" But then I'm not the world's biggest Tim & Eric fan) is true, it could be any one of the main Mr Show core from back then, really.

He didn't say he expected that, he said they were welcomed with open arms by Odenkirk as he brought them to LA, and he thought it was understandable that others might not have been so warm.

Didn't see much wrong with Tim describing his dealings with Jay, either. If it's true that he's struggling with drug and/or alcohol problems, Tim serves as a good character witness in describing how Jay's demeanour changed when he was drunk.

McChesney Duntz

Thanks for that. I was feeling slightly nuts for not seeing the supposed arrogant cuntitude others seemed to be seeing. Mind you, I may still be slightly nuts, but at least I'll have someone to drool alongside now.

colacentral

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on March 07, 2021, 10:12:22 PM
Thanks for that. I was feeling slightly nuts for not seeing the supposed arrogant cuntitude others seemed to be seeing. Mind you, I may still be slightly nuts, but at least I'll have someone to drool alongside now.

I think there's been some exaggerated reactions to it, but there is a sense from that post that Tim has been holding a grudge and this is a bit of schadenfreude.

phantom_power

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on March 07, 2021, 07:15:30 PM
I guess it's just wise to assume that anybody with any admirable talent is a miserable, unpleasant asshole and hope to be pleasantly surprised when it turns out not to be the case.

Or that everyone has bad days when they can be a bit of a twat and so a few anecdotes about someone not being that friendly might be one of those, or that the person telling the story is actually the twat in that situation but unaware of it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Thursday

Always got a bit of a weird vibe from Tim, but don't really see an issue with what he posted.

Retinend

It can safely be assumed to be him given the preponderance of evidence - the Gavin McInnes association and his appearance there not surprising anyone who knows him.

Retinend

Quote from: colacentral on March 07, 2021, 06:59:52 PM

Tim Heidecker and Tom Scharpling made a video a few years ago that was generally assumed to be a passive aggressive dig at Paul F. Thompkins, and from what I recall, Brian Posehn was meant to be difficult to work with too.

Could you dig this up?

Retinend

JASH really sucked. I hate low-budget (Adobe Flash) animations where the person's expression never changes. I also think the voices were lackluster, as if they had lost faith in the script between conceiving of it and actually recording it.

Presumably the brown-nosing dark-haired character (ostensibly representing Sharpling) is actually based on Thompkins's personality/tweets? And presumably the actual plot of it is Tim's imagined revenge on Thompkins, and not based on reality?

Perplexicon

Quote from: Retinend on March 11, 2021, 07:48:47 AM
JASH really sucked. I hate low-budget (Adobe Flash) animations where the person's expression never changes. I also think the voices were lackluster, as if they had lost faith in the script between conceiving of it and actually recording it.

Presumably the brown-nosing dark-haired character (ostensibly representing Sharpling) is actually based on Thompkins's personality/tweets? And presumably the actual plot of it is Tim's imagined revenge on Thompkins, and not based on reality?

It reads to me more like a skit that I presume they did on twitter together a while back which got turned in to an animation. Not sure which part of it is a dig at Thompkins, it was very funny though. Baring in mind I know nothing about any of them outside of their voice rolls.

Blue Jam

It's being reported that Johnston has been fired from Bob's Burgers and is now persona non grata at Fox over his alleged involvement in the Capitol riots:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/dec/18/bobs-burgers-jay-johnston-capitol-attack-report

Was his involvement ever confirmed beyond Tim Heidecker and a few other comedians' now-deleted tweets?

BeardFaceMan

It is odd how quiet everything went after those initial tweets. Surely the dude has an agent people can get in touch with to ask?

Blue Jam

Perhaps his agent has dropped him.

He had a cameo in season 5 of Better Call Saul. iirc he auditioned rather than being invited, but he still got the part and Bob and David aren't exactly Trump fans... I dunno, this is all very opaque.

BeardFaceMan

True, but when people get dropped like that there's usually a statement from the agency so they can let everyone publicly know they're doing the right thing. It's all very strange.

dissolute ocelot

I hope nobody firebombs Jake Johnson (New Girl, Spiderman). Or indeed other confusing Johnsons.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Heidecker more than alluded to alcohol and drugs issues. The guy appears to be in a very dark place, mentally speaking, and I can understand that many people from the comedy scene prefer not to throw him under a bus and comment on the situation publicly, while he's been losing his few remaining steady gigs.

The firing is official now, but it likely happened months ago, as it was obvious nobody would work anymore with some rioter. As I said when the first pictures were shared, the really revealing thing wasn't that Tim Heidecker or Cassandra Church would write it was probably him (then delete their tweets). It was that none of his past collaborators, especially the ones who are vocal on social media, posted that it was probably some case of mistaken identity. People knew that he had turned into the kind of person who could do this.

McChesney Duntz

The saddest thing about this whole affair (maybe not, but it's quicker to deal in absolutes) is that it retrospectively colors much of what he'd done before. I mean, I was happily enjoying this first-season Mr. Show best-of (just look at all the alt-comedy greats-to-be in that audience!), and then I hit the 24-minute mark, and, well...

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 19, 2021, 03:04:09 PMWas his involvement ever confirmed beyond Tim Heidecker and a few other comedians' now-deleted tweets?

It's not much, but there have been allusions to it on Comedy Bang Bang, though I couldn't cite exact episodes. One I remember was Scott Aukerman mentioning that he was in Washington when the Capitol was stormed and someone responded "You were at the Mr. Show reunion?".

Ornlu

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on December 19, 2021, 07:20:58 PMThe saddest thing about this whole affair (maybe not, but it's quicker to deal in absolutes) is that it retrospectively colors much of what he'd done before. I mean, I was happily enjoying this first-season Mr. Show best-of (just look at all the alt-comedy greats-to-be in that audience!), and then I hit the 24-minute mark, and, well...

What? Mr Show is still a very funny program that has nothing to do with MAGA or QAnon. I don't see how anyone could think that his mere presence on a given show over twenty years ago is a bad thing just by virtue of it being him.

Retinend

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 19, 2021, 11:00:06 PMIt's not much, but there have been allusions to it on Comedy Bang Bang, though I couldn't cite exact episodes. One I remember was Scott Aukerman mentioning that he was in Washington when the Capitol was stormed and someone responded "You were at the Mr. Show reunion?".

I can't believe that Comedy Bang Bang is still a thing. I thought it started going stale after the TV show version came out.

Mister Six

Quote from: Ornlu on December 20, 2021, 04:38:02 PMWhat? Mr Show is still a very funny program that has nothing to do with MAGA or QAnon. I don't see how anyone could think that his mere presence on a given show over twenty years ago is a bad thing just by virtue of it being him.

Yeah, it's not like he's had a long, sordid and secretive history of invading seats of government or something. A recent downward spiral into drug-addled right-wing lunacy has no bearing on what he did 25 years ago, and it doesn't stop The Story of Everest being one of the greatest sketches of all time.

wrec

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Ornlu on December 20, 2021, 04:38:02 PMWhat? Mr Show is still a very funny program that has nothing to do with MAGA or QAnon. I don't see how anyone could think that his mere presence on a given show over twenty years ago is a bad thing just by virtue of it being him.

I didn't say it colors it that much. It certainly doesn't disincline me to watch it - it's one of the great comedy shows of our time and he's hilarious on it and that hasn't changed. I was being a bit hyperbolic. It's just that seeing him in Klan robes saying "Now I can be the President of the United States!" (not technically from Mr. Show, I know, so fuck off, pedantaloons) or something like that plays a little different now is all.

Cold Meat Platter

You can pry my enjoying him shouting "LET'S GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE" from the Vaunnies Mustardayonnaise advert from my cold dead hands.

C_Larence

Some of you guys are fucking obsessed with insurrection! Haven't got any pussy, yet?

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on December 21, 2021, 03:14:34 AMYou can pry my enjoying him shouting "LET'S GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE" from the Vaunnies Mustardayonnaise advert from my cold dead hands.

The ASS SHIT...FUCKY FUCK FUCK on the Globochem ad too.