Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:34:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jay Johnston (Mr Show, Sarah Silverman Show) allegedly sighted at Capitol Riots

Started by Ornlu, March 05, 2021, 08:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on December 21, 2021, 08:11:39 AMThe ASS SHIT...FUCKY FUCK FUCK on the Globochem ad too.

Of all the swearing in that ad it's the "MOTHERRR" that gets me the best.

Quote from: wrec on December 21, 2021, 12:45:01 AMYou could really see Jimmy Pesto being at the Capitol

Filmed on a news report at a popup selling his basic pizzas to other rioters.

Jimmy: "Bob if you're watching, look I'm at the capitol! You're not! Hahaha"

Bob: "What is he talking about, I - I didn't even  want to... I don't support -"

Linda: "Ya burgers'd sell pretty well there Bobby, maybe ya should get down there!"

Bob: "Lin, this is pre-recorded, the riots are over. And even if they weren't -"

Jimmy: "Bob, ya seein' this?! Hahaha"

Bob: "Shut up Jimmy!"

Jimmy: "No YOU shut up Bob!"

Trev: "Good one Jimmy."

Bob: "How is he even -"

Linda: "C'mon Bobby, sell some riot burgers! [singing] Stormin' the capitol, you say you're merely curious. Burger in a MAGA hat, your alibi is spurious! Ba-bum ba-bum!"

BeardFaceMan

He'll always be Choo-Choo The Hurkey Jerky Dancer to me, I could watch him do that endlessly.

frajer

Another shout for 'The Story of Everest' being one of the greatest sketches of all time. Aching with laughter the first time I saw it.

Also his perfect delivery of "Our sign's not missing, our son is missing" from the Young People/Companions sketch still pops into my head and always makes me laugh. https://youtu.be/jp83JZg0hU4?t=188

Fuck it, let him be president.

Video Game Fan 2000

Povidone

Love that everybody starts sharing their favourite Jay Johnston clips like he's died. Nobody was doing that with Louis CK.

Cancel culture is real fake an unhelpful catch all term that doesn't adequately define the current shift in social mores a fuck.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Ornlu on December 20, 2021, 04:38:02 PMWhat? Mr Show is still a very funny program that has nothing to do with MAGA or QAnon. I don't see how anyone could think that his mere presence on a given show over twenty years ago is a bad thing just by virtue of it being him.

Yes, it's like the way I struggle a bit with The IT Crowd but will always love Father Ted and realise Graham Linehan was probably a very different person 25 years ago. Likewise I imagine Jay Johnston was also a different person when he made a show which featured David Cross making numerous attempts at desecrating the American flag.

In any case I will never find the sight and sound of Johnston sat alone in a log cabin yelling "ASSSSSSSSS!" into the void not funny. I hope he Hurkey Jerky danced all over the Senate Chamber.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Povidone on December 21, 2021, 11:57:30 AMLove that everybody starts sharing their favourite Jay Johnston clips like he's died. Nobody was doing that with Louis CK.

Cancel culture is real fake an unhelpful catch all term that doesn't adequately define the current shift in social mores a fuck.
I mean, it's not like CC is drowning in Jay Johnston threads, it's not that weird that people would use a thread about him being involved in the January 6th insurrection to discuss their favourite bits of his work.

Ant Farm Keyboard

If Johnston had been involved with something recent where his contribution could be qualified as funny and important, we would definitely react differently.

But, outside of his voice work on Bob's Burgers, he had been barely relevant since the end of the Sarah Silverman Program. In the meantime, he turned into some right-wing asshole, who was at the Capitol insurrection and probably broke a few laws, but it's as if it was a different guy, due to the time between these recollections. It's much easier to dissociate.

If Johnston was cast now in some kind of comedy where his involvement with January 6 was mentioned (or, even better, not), we'd been much harsher judges.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on December 21, 2021, 10:45:48 PMIf Johnston had been involved with something recent where his contribution could be qualified as funny and important, we would definitely react differently.

By comparison Ariel Pink was also spotted there and around the time this news surfaced it became more apparent than it had previously that he was something of a creepy sex pest type who treats women like crap. After all that came to light I took the 5 or 6 CDs of his that I owned - including his most recent work - and chucked them in the charity shop.

Povidone

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 21, 2021, 09:40:57 PMI mean, it's not like CC is drowning in Jay Johnston threads, it's not that weird that people would use a thread about him being involved in the January 6th insurrection to discuss their favourite bits of his work.

Well yeah that was standard flippancy on my part. It just reminded me of when Norm MacDonald died and I found myself spending an entire day watching clips of him on Youtube.

Neomod

Retinend

letsgobrian

Quote from: Retinend on December 23, 2021, 10:54:46 PMCould you please give us a summary?

They are talking about how they didn't know the insurrection was happening while they were recording that day, but unlike someone they know they at least have evidence they weren't there. PFT then goes into a bit about Mr Show performers having to state their whereabouts on that day.