Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:05:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nick Cave's Best Song

Started by Rev+, April 08, 2021, 02:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

Really didn't like The Mercy Seat. Not even doing a thing here. Found it grating.

Pink Gregory

I heard the B-side acoustic version of the Mercy Seat first and I much prefer it.

Ferris

Quote from: Pink Gregory on April 09, 2021, 04:24:07 PM
I heard the B-side acoustic version of the Mercy Seat first and I much prefer it.

There are solo piano versions of it out there, but I prefer the angsty heavily-produced album version.

Pink Gregory

Must admit I don't have a lot of time for Nick Cave solo.  The Bad Seeds are sometimes underappreciated I think.  Like the solo version of Avalanche, not interested at all.

rue the polywhirl

If I say 'There She Goes My Beautiful World' will I get a QI klaxon? My back-up nomination - Night Of The Lotus Eaters. Second back-up nomination - Wand'rin' Star.

I could confidently pick a top fifty that would all be excellent.

That said, the answer to the question is The Mercy Seat.

The song I play most often, however, is The Good Son.

Ferris

Oh fuck hang on what's the name of the one I really like? Shit it's that one. Erm.

Fake edit because I just remembered: Breathless. Really good song.

non capisco

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 09, 2021, 10:20:05 PM
Oh fuck hang on what's the name of the one I really like? Shit it's that one. Erm.

'Who Killed Johnny Macaque?'

Ferris

Quote from: non capisco on April 09, 2021, 10:45:08 PM
'Who Killed Johnny Macaque?'

Fucking hell, yeah that was very good. Didn't realize Cave did a cover but it's definitely got the lyrical depth (and dare I say, raw guitar-playing energy) to be in his wheelhouse.

Video Game Fan 2000

Rev+

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 09, 2021, 10:20:05 PM
Fake edit because I just remembered: Breathless. Really good song.

That is a great song but melodically a bit close to that David Gray one that was sodding everywhere around the same time.  It wasn't a rip-off, just a bit of a coincidence.

Had to look up David Gray there.

Kankurette

Distant Skies makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Fave Cave is probably Do You Love Me?

Blinder Data

Just because no one has said it yet, and it's one of my faves - Far From Me

the science eel

That one from The Good Son that starts 'I've seen your (something something something)'

chveik

Thomas

I'm not that well-versed in Cavey, so I'm listening to some of the songs named here for the first time, but I find Jesus Alone from Skeleton Tree particularly affecting.

willbo

willbo

The lyrics address the narrator's frustration at constant rejection as he attempts several different tactics to seduce a woman and sleep with her. When asked during an interview whether the song had a deeper meaning, Nick Cave replied "no, it's just about not getting any pussy when I grew my mustache."

SweetPomPom

The Carny is the one I keep going back to from the proper Bad Seeds but Push The Sky Away is pretty much perfect modern-era Nick.

kalowski

Quote from: kalowski on April 08, 2021, 09:35:09 AMI love..LOVE.. Papa Won't Leave You, Henry.
Personal faves are also Red Right Hand, O Children, Mercy Seat, Deanna, The Ship Song, I Had a Dream, Joe, Do You Love Me, Henry Lee, Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!,  and what the hell Stagger Lee.
And nearly all of The Boatman's Call.

I've not had enough time to delve into Skeleton Tree and Push the Sky Away.
I'm glad I put O Children on my list. Just re-bought Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus and I'm tempted to agree with the bloke in the record shop that it is "Cave's best album".
It's magnificent.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Dirty Boy on April 08, 2021, 01:23:52 PMMercy Seat for me too, or Curse Of Milhaven for one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

That might be mine, as well. Surprised to see it here!

Kankurette

Probably Do You Love Me? Although Distant Skies is gorgeous.

Glebe

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on April 08, 2021, 06:27:14 AMIt's The Ship Song but instead i'm going to say The Mercy Seat because I like change things up every now and again.

Yeah I'm not hugely au fait with NC but 'The Ship Song' is a beauty.

the science eel

Nobody's mentioned 'Into My Arms'! Bravo CaB.

Here's Roger Daltrey's version to MAKE YOUR DAY

JohnnyCouncil

Too many to choose from but I have an eternal soft spot hard on for Bring It On.

Walking down the street to work in tears listening to it, 29 I was.

True story.

cosmic-hearse

Cave-wise I only really listen to The Birthday Party & The Boys Next Door these days - that said 'When I First Came to Town' (& Henry's Dream generally) is a banger.

willbo

at the mo i like palaces of montezuma and tupelo

sevendaughters