Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:24:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time with Alan Partridge series 2

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, April 14, 2021, 03:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 06, 2021, 04:01:44 AM
During the part where Alan punches Simon, I thought back to him knocking out Tony Hayers with a turkey on his fist and remembering how much funnier it was.  Both series of This Time have been something of a damp squib.  It's dramatically interesting but it just hasn't been particularly funny.  The whole show's been a bit off-kilter and frustratingly inconsistent.  I wanted to like it more, I really did.

That's a shame, I personally found myself belly laughing quite a fair bit.

I dont think I've ever found Partridge not funny though.

Ian Benson

I would have liked the show to be structured better; seemed very freewheeling throughout followed by loads of plot suddenly happening in the finale that could've been set-up better so you'd have all the arcs dovetail, etc. Get rid of the anti-Alan correspondent - eats up too much time for basically the same joke (perhaps have a more subtle version of the same basic dynamic with the co-host and have that build over the series). Also, since they suddenly went with a third style for the punching bit (as in neither broadcast nor bts-style (sort of filmic really)), why not have that sprinkled throughout, kind of like an Alan's mind POV? A few "impossible" angles of him spacing out or sweating or whatever would have better laid the foundation for his eventual meltdown.

Partridge is a really ace character that's sort of impossible to fuck up at this point and I did enjoy this latest glimpse into his life. Just feel that it could have been far stronger. His cancellable act could have been set-up in the first episode (without us knowing exactly what it is) so we have an underlying ticking-clock situation, and then obvs have Alan blurt it out unnecessarily at the end, and perhaps ultimately actually have a sense of relief that he no longer has that weight on his shoulders (and it could also lead to him becoming a sort of GB News bad-boy type for his next career move which he'd love). Similarly Jenny's fella should have come in for the Princess Anne interview (as in Jenny and him make up just in time and they interview Anne when Alan implodes). But, yeah, the show was fine and I'm glad it happened and I'm glad that people seemed to really like it as it means we'll get more Partridge stuff.

sevendaughters

but we know he's been a ticking clock since episode one based on his simulfear of Sam being bussed in to replace him and being cancelled, and it has been manifesting itself in little inappropriate tics like, in quick succession, doing a Jimmy Savile impression and a Hitler salute. it has been really subtle throughout.

BeardFaceMan

Indeed, this series is quite dense and layered, I think a lot of criticisms people have about the series would disappear on a rewatch.

neveragain

Also, though I've only seen this episode once, I don't think the punch was filmed in a different style. Seemed like the backstage format.

Milo

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 05, 2021, 09:20:16 PM
Yeah, it's mentioned here: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/feb/17/steve-coogan-alan-partridge-back-bbc-love-hate-relationship but I'm pretty sure this is the first time it's been referred to in the series.

I always assumed it was related to his long-term ambassadorship with Corsodyl and he'd snuck it past the branding censors. Was surprised to read that.

Blue Jam

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 06, 2021, 09:34:19 AM
It was 2 hours extra, so an awful lot of chocolate mousse, the dirty get.

Or maybe just that a valance* is an awful lot of fabric to clean

*the skirt thing round the side of the bed

They crammed too much into the last 10 minutes. And I realise I'm saying this as someone who's never written anything.

Ian Benson

Quote from: neveragain on June 06, 2021, 03:10:26 PM
Also, though I've only seen this episode once, I don't think the punch was filmed in a different style. Seemed like the backstage format.

It's not the bts format. It's fly on the wall and the framing's weird but look at the camera angles that don't really make any sense either for the broadcast or bts approaches (one behind the sofa, one low angle from the opposite sofa, one coming from the touchscreen, etc.) and the way in which the performances/actions are suddenly dictating the cuts. I know that there have been some cheats in terms of this sort of thing throughout the show, but this is clearly a deliberate stylistic shift (and one that I wouldn't have minded more of).

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ian Benson on June 06, 2021, 05:09:14 PM
It's not the bts format. It's fly on the wall and the framing's weird but look at the camera angles that don't really make any sense either for the broadcast or bts approaches (one behind the sofa, one low angle from the opposite sofa, one coming from the touchscreen, etc.) and the way in which the performances/actions are suddenly dictating the cuts. I know that there have been some cheats in terms of this sort of thing throughout the show, but this is clearly a deliberate stylistic shift (and one that I wouldn't have minded more of).

Yeah I'm not seeing that either, it looked just like all the other bts bits, the camera angles and focuses no different from how they usually looked.

As to your other complaint, the seeds of his breakdown were sown in the first 5 minutes of the first episode with the stuff about the new producer and the new theme tune. The set-ups are there, sprinkled throughout the series.

Ian Benson

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 06, 2021, 05:13:43 PM
Yeah I'm not seeing that either, it looked just like all the other bts bits, the camera angles and focuses no different from how they usually looked.

You're wrong. Sorry. The shot behind the sofa just after he introduces the interview and sort of hangs his head is where it begins. It's perhaps more subtle than I thought it was but something else is going on there. Plus just the number of angles used for the sequence makes it super obvious. There are five or six angles at the touchscreen (including one from the point of view of the touchscreen). Any other bts conversation has typically been from two angles max and often with one person framed out.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 06, 2021, 05:13:43 PM
As to your other complaint, the seeds of his breakdown were sown in the first 5 minutes of the first episode with the stuff about the new producer and the new theme tune. The set-ups are there, sprinkled throughout the series.

I'm not talking about him being worried that he'll be replaced. Everything you're talking about is stuff that I've noticed and I'm not one who really needs to rewatch things, particularly when they're as straightforward as this show has been. I was simply making the point that I would have liked something with a bit more plot and momentum throughout.

Glebe

Very sad about Coogan's nephew.

Thought that was pretty funny throughout. Nice to see the Oasthouse, but aw no, poor Seldom. So that Geordie bloke is mates with Michael!

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ian Benson on June 06, 2021, 05:50:24 PM
Any other bts conversation has typically been from two angles max and often with one person framed out.

Apart from the bits where there are 4 cameras at once on screen you mean?

I'm not talking about him being worried that he'll be replaced. Everything you're talking about is stuff that I've noticed and I'm not one who really needs to rewatch things, particularly when they're as straightforward as this show has been. I was simply making the point that I would have liked something with a bit more plot and momentum throughout.

And him being worried he was being replaced is a bit of plot that was sprinkled throughout the show that started in the first episode. The make-up artist was a slow burn thing, she didn't just ask to go away with him out of nowhere. He mention to Joe Beezley that his mental state was a 4, and that was in the 2nd episode. There were lots of little plot moments that started early that became relevant later on.

Ian Benson

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 06, 2021, 06:00:58 PM
Apart from the bits where there are 4 cameras at once on screen you mean?

No, I'm including those. They frequently show angles with nothing going on in them. You might have two different angles on whomever's talking, but they're still angles that make sense in the context of the show, rather than say from a camera that's between the sofas that has Partridge, Lynn and Simon in frame that wasn't there for the reverse angle, and just wouldn't be there in the first place, let's face it.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 06, 2021, 06:00:58 PM
And him being worried he was being replaced is a bit of plot that was sprinkled throughout the show that started in the first episode. The make-up artist was a slow burn thing, she didn't just ask to go away with him out of nowhere. He mention to Joe Beezley that his mental state was a 4, and that was in the 2nd episode. There were lots of little plot moments that started early that became relevant later on.

You really don't need to keep telling me what happened in the show. I'm saying that I wanted more of what you're talking about. More plot, more momentum. I've said it several times now. I liked the last episode more than I liked the rest of the series because it had an engine in a way that the more lackadaisical episodes leading up to it did not.

BeardFaceMan

QuoteYou really don't need to keep telling me what happened in the show. I'm saying that I wanted more of what you're talking about. More plot, more momentum. I've said it several times now. I liked the last episode more than I liked the rest of the series because it had an engine in a way that the more lackadaisical episodes leading up to it did not.

Then I honestly have no idea what the point of your post was. The reason I was pointing these things out to you is because you're bemoaning the lack of plot and momentum and I'm pointing out there was lots of plot and momentum from the start. So your point is that there was lots of plot that started from the beginning of the series, was sprinkled through all the episodes and then was paid off, but it wasn't enough? In an already dense show you wanted it denser?

mippy

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 05, 2021, 12:25:36 PM
Yeah, but then he did Avenue 5 and David Copperfield...

David Copperfield was great, though?

Magnum Valentino

I think I agree, it didn't make me laugh as much as his other work but I was blown away by it, by how well he made it.

notjosh

Quote from: Ian Benson on June 06, 2021, 06:16:31 PM
No, I'm including those. They frequently show angles with nothing going on in them. You might have two different angles on whomever's talking

Surely that should be "whoever's talking"...

https://youtu.be/_ahVCC11r1g?t=1673

pigamus

Alan's been doing pretty well these two series, so the whole Princess Anne thing - I'm not saying it came out of nowhere but it seemed kind of contrived to give Alan a meltdown.

Joe Oakes

Quote from: Ian Benson on June 06, 2021, 05:50:24 PM
Everything you're talking about is stuff that I've noticed and I'm not one who really needs to rewatch things, particularly when they're as straightforward as this show has been.

Stop showing-off, Ian 'One Watch' Benson.

holyzombiejesus

I think the fact that Coogan has already stated that there will be a Coast-style documentary series for BBC means that it's not necessarily the end of This Time. Wonder if that will follow on from the meltdown and possible reinvention? It was initially going to be filmed a good year or so ago so I'm wondering if they did the second series to provide the reason for him to tour the country, like with MMM and Scissored Isle?

Mobius

I'm a bit late, but I loved that last episode and the series in general. The weirdly surreal feeling of the final episode reminded me of that creepy Down The Line episode a bit.

The little mention of Michael and Alan's reaction was genuinely unsettling! He's got to be alive hasn't he?

Sidekick Simon absolutely deserved a smack there. Alan has warned him before do never ever EVER EVER EVER do something like that again and he didn't listen.

Genuinely gutted to hear about Seldom.

I've basically been listening to Oasthouse/I,Partridge/Nomad on repeat for the last week or so, just utterly immersed in Partridge world. Bloody love it!

I think that might be the end of This Time though, much like MMM led to the Scissored Isle documentary to make amends for his mistakes, I'm sure something will follow this.

Ian Benson

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 06, 2021, 06:23:13 PM
Then I honestly have no idea what the point of your post was. The reason I was pointing these things out to you is because you're bemoaning the lack of plot and momentum and I'm pointing out there was lots of plot and momentum from the start. So your point is that there was lots of plot that started from the beginning of the series, was sprinkled through all the episodes and then was paid off, but it wasn't enough? In an already dense show you wanted it denser?

You considering something to have momentum and be densely-plotted doesn't mean that I do. Do you follow? It's not like I wasn't noticing things.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 06, 2021, 10:14:42 PM
I think the fact that Coogan has already stated that there will be a Coast-style documentary series for BBC means that it's not necessarily the end of This Time. Wonder if that will follow on from the meltdown and possible reinvention? It was initially going to be filmed a good year or so ago so I'm wondering if they did the second series to provide the reason for him to tour the country, like with MMM and Scissored Isle?

I did think Alan would consider "something in the middle" to be a Julia Bradbury style walking series so surely that's the next step.

peteprodge

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on June 07, 2021, 10:50:09 AM
I did think Alan would consider "something in the middle" to be a Julia Bradbury style walking series so surely that's the next step.

Very heavily hinted at in this brilliant in-character interview with comedy.co.uk:

It's fair to say we approach our roles as co-anchors slightly differently. One of us can be seen presenting umpteen other BBC shows from Walking The Lakes With Jennie Gresham to The Unexplored Brontes With Jennie Gresham to Inside John Lewis With Jennie Gresham to Jennie Gresham's NHS Heroes. The other one prefers to dedicate him- or herself exclusively to This Time because he/she happens to think the show and our viewers deserve that, but each to their own.

Keebleman

I work as a security guard for the BBC and can confirm that Alan would have been required to show his pass on re-entering the building even if he had left it only moments before.  However this particular guard was being a bit of a jobsworth - no doubt there had been previous Partridge encounters - because he could have had the cameraman sign Alan in as a visitor.  After both of them had had their temperatures checked to make sure they hadn't contracted Covid-19 of course.

notjosh

Funny you should say that. I work as a VT editor for a primetime BBC One magazine show, and can confirm that when doing the audio mixing we're specifically told to amplify heckles or shouts from members of the public, even when they are uncomplimentary towards the presenter, as it gives a feeling of authenticity.

I also worked as a cameraman on the studio floor for a while, and if fights or scuffles broke out off-camera we were always instructed to get a couple of strong angles on it with the spare cameras, for insurance purposes.

holyzombiejesus

Anyone know what the ratings were for this (or how to find out)?

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 07, 2021, 03:32:58 PM
Anyone know what the ratings were for this (or how to find out)?

According to the overnights, last episode got 1.1 million viewers, which was a 7.5% share of the audience.

BlodwynPig

Just rewatching 6. That anguished "what if they've missed something" in the bedroom of the oasthouse is a highlight.