Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:08:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Returnal

Started by Timothy, April 25, 2021, 09:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

Finished the game. Early GOTY contender and the best game I've played on the PS5 so far.

Chedney Honks

I've been back to it recently, Tim, and I couldn't agree more. I don't think it's been a great year for games full stop but this has been the comfortable highlight. I definitely appreciate it more now than I did at first. I totally fluked it and thought it was flashy but a bit chaotic. Now I have a better grasp of movement and weapons and artifacts, it's much more fun to just play until I die. I've not managed to even get to the B6 boss again but I absolutely adore that area and the way the gameplay changes there. I always miss it when I go back to the start. I also think the sound design is unbelievable, it would be iconic if more people were to play it.

Timothy

The sound design was indeed phenomenal. I loved how the extra ammo slot clicked and beeped and buzzed and that you didn't have to stare at the screen to see when you could use it again - You could just focus on enemies and would hear and feel when it reloaded. The Dualsense has so much potential. Can't wait to see what other games will do with it.

And yes, B6 was perfect. So incredibly difficult but every time I died I wasn't bothered, just happy I could start over in that area again.

I've played Ratchet and Clank after this and although R&C is absolutely beautiful it felt quite clunky after playing Returnal. Everyone's going on how that game is the first real nextgen experience but I couldn't disagree more. I hope more players try Returnal when it's a bit cheaper (or maybe in PS PLUS) and am quite happy Sony bought Housemarquee.

AngryGazelle

Bought this in the sale last week and it's great. The Dualsense integration on this game is bloody brilliant, that alongside the loading times and 60fps with those gorgeous graphics make this feel really next gen.

I've managed to get to the second boss and he's a bastard -- I did nearly kill him first try but that was mostly because the gun I had was melting his health -- I'd say one of my only criticisms is that although skill plays a huge part in your success, luck can definitely sway things to a degree that is less than minor.

Also, hello all. Been lurking for ages so thought I'd best pipe-up. Mostly here for the comedy chat but hoping the gaming forum can get some love too. 

AngryGazelle

Second boss dead. Got some new guns and a new gadget for the third biome.

I'm really enjoying this, it doesn't stay on my mind all day in the way a game like The Last Of Us does, and I've been playing it in two-ish hour bursts rather than 8 hour binges. I put the reluctance to binge all day down to the penalty for death and the fairly thin so far but still engaging narrative.

Mechanically it is solid, but I feel like a desire to not be beaten by the game and to see what the next biome holds is what keeps me coming back -- instead of say really really good combat (the combat is good just not quite superb)

Chedney Honks

There will likely come a moment, most probably when you've unlocked plenty of perks for one of your favourite weapons, when you will start to play aggressively and see every enemy and encounter as an opportunity to gather cash and materials. That's when it all clicked from good but patchy to quite brilliant. If you just got the item which changes your mobility options, that's also a big step up. Don't be afraid to use that at every opportunity during combat.

AngryGazelle

Thanks, and yes, I just procured that item and am starting to be able to play more aggressively now that the weapons are getting more powerful.

Which gun is your favourite?

Chedney Honks

Good stuff. My absolute favourite is the Electropylon Driver which is a bit 'fire and forget', slightly OP perhaps, create a mad web of lasers. I enjoy setting them up and creating traps, great fun.

The other is the assault rifle, can't remember the name, but you will unlock leech rounds as a perk at some point. Once you get the Leech Rounds to level 2 and a couple of other related perks, you will basically walk through the game if you stay on the offensive. You absorb a % of health for the damage you output. There's a also a Rising Pitch perk for it to whereby your rate of fire increases as you hold down the trigger. Really fun.

I an fond of the basic pistol with homing missiles, though. Packs a punch.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 31, 2021, 12:43:00 PM
Good stuff. My absolute favourite is the Electropylon Driver which is a bit 'fire and forget', slightly OP perhaps, create a mad web of lasers. I enjoy setting them up and creating traps, great fun.

Yep Electropylon Driver is great and like Cheds said the Tachyomatic Carbine also packs a punch.  Getting the perks on the weapons  is key it can be worth while just changing weapons and unlocking their perks as they will regularly appear and you'll get the level 2 versions.

I've still not completed; took a massive break from gaming as I generally do for several months but cam back to this after I saw the thread reborn.  It's such a cool game - I'm on the last boss who I reckon I can do just need a semi-decent run - nearly got him the first time but
Spoiler alert
didn't realise the system for making him vulnerable
[close]

Once you start playing more aggressively and pinging around the place with your
Spoiler alert
dash
[close]
you can start playing more acrobatically and it becomes a fast and glorious.  Keep playing it gets better.

AngryGazelle

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 31, 2021, 01:23:57 PM
I've still not completed; took a massive break from gaming as I generally do for several months but cam back to this after I saw the thread reborn.

I'm glad that bumping the thread got you back into it! I also go months without gaming -- usually because nothing that grabs my interest is out, but I recently bought a PS5 and I am hooked!

I'm definitely going to keep playing, it's a really solid game, the controls are super smooth and have never let me down, any mistakes are my own fault. The carbine is a beast -- I got an upgrade last night that decreases it's rate-of-fire but ups the stopping power, pretty massively.

TrenterPercenter

Shut the fuck up about squid game

TrenterPercenter

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/video-games-and-tablets/playstation-5/playstation-5-games/returnal-ps5/p/191448

Now £39.99 for those that have got a ps5 and are thinking about getting on the Returnal vibe.  You won't be disappointed.

brat-sampson

Had a weird coincidence where after reaching the first boss for the first time and getting my face peeled off, on the next run the entrance to his Lair was right in the first room. I actually thought this was an interesting mechanic as it meant I could choose to either work deeper into the level for upgrades or warp back and ''ave a go' at any time. I fought him again but after that it hasn't happened since, and I've got to actually get beefed up before the fight by going through all the rooms etc. Probably makes for a better game tbh but I liked my dream version while it lasted.

Game's brilliant, an excellent showcase for the PS5 and the Dualsense and lots of design decisions click really well. It can feel a bit slow tog et a run going, but that's just part of the genre I guess, and it does make the permanent upgrades feel like a real boost to your power level and overall chances every time you get one.

Crenners

If you go into the settings, you can turn on 'always run'.

brat-sampson

Ugh, I'm not great at shooters or Roguelikes, so yeah this is rough. I've had a good 5-6 goes against the first boss with what feels like a decent loadout but to no avail. I think I'll try and spend longer working through the rest of the world to grind weapon levels and better guns.

brat-sampson

Fuck the haters, eat it Phrike. First time today.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: brat-sampson on November 24, 2021, 11:28:01 AMFuck the haters, eat it Phrike. First time today.

Congratulations! Now prepare for some next level shit.  It's just going to get better and better.

One word of advice, you have to get good but be aggressive as you play and really think about taking the risk on malignant chests as there can be some great upgrades in their (problem being some malfunctions are much worse than others).  Keeping your full adrenaline and for as long as possible is always the goal and all life upgrades turn to resin if you are full health.

brat-sampson

Cheers for the tips. Made it to the 3rd biome now, I feel like I'll be doing fine then go into some optional room and fuck it all for no reason :p

It's intense stuff, and feels great. It would be nice to be able to get back into it a bit faster, but I understand the design choices and honestly for a 'roguelike' it really does a lot to get you up and running again back where you were *relatively* quickly. Getting more opportunities to access items even in earlier zones as you progress through the later ones is a really nice touch.

brat-sampson

I did it!

The Grotland Blobber is the GOAT. Caustic rot tore through the final boss first time. The whole game is one hell of an experience. Gruelling at times, and I'm not proud it took 106 deaths, but hey, I done it.

Returnal coming to steam? - https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1529784011215847425

https://steamdb.info/app/1649240/history/

It was part of the "geforce now leak", apparently, whatever that was, so they reckon it's a done deal.

Crenners

Immense game and great news if so, they deserve much more success than it achieved as an exclusive during peak console shortages.

Yeah, looks like you still have to jump through hoops to get one of those new consoles.
Looking forward to finally getting to try it and getting the blind clear!

AsparagusTrevor

I'm PS5-less and I've really wanted to play it so I'll be stoked if it comes to PC.

Crenners

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 30, 2022, 10:39:44 AMLooking forward to finally getting to try it and getting the blind clear!

Hahaha

druss

Playing Returnal has led me to conclude that Sekiro is actually a piece of piss because I had zero long term problems with Sekiro but finding this impossible. Any time I manage to get through more than a few rooms it's all pointless because the boss absolutely murks me. At least with Soulsborne bosses you didn't have to play for an hour to make sure you have some sort of chance against each boss. With this I'm playing for an hour assuming I don't die (which I seem to be doing way more than I was when I started) and then have no chance against the boss. I have gotten him to phase 3 and I think if I could just try him over and over I'd be fine but it's the having to play for an hour before taking him on that is fucking me.

So yes, I am shit at games and Sekiro/Souls games are all very very easy.

druss

Ok killed first boss, super easy game.

druss

Ok this is very good isn't it. Somehow the only boss I one shot was the third one but only by the skin of my teeth after having about 3 full health bars. On the 6th biome now, have suspended for the night as I have such good artefacts and love my hollowseeker. Resin shield is ridiculous.

Can't get organ boss music out of my head, 3rd and 4th boss both instantly threatening my top 5 boss list from any game.

Souls comparisons are very apt, completely different gameplay but the intensity and satisfaction of progression is similar and I haven't really been paying attention to the lore as the gameplay is so good but it feels like there is lots to get stuck into there. Remains to be seen whether I'll sink 100s of hours into this like Elden Ring but at the moment Elden Ring is the only PS5 game that is giving Returnal any competition as best PS5 game (BG3 Act 3 has bored the absolute fuck out of me after a stellar act 1 and 2).

Returnal has ruined me for all other shooters. Incredible game. Fifth biome was by far the hardest I think but the sixth is pretty damn challenging as well.

If you're still playing the main game you probably haven't started Tower of Sisyphus yet? That is a great time, pretty much as fun as story mode.

druss

Quote from: extraordinary walnuts on January 07, 2024, 01:01:52 AMReturnal has ruined me for all other shooters. Incredible game. Fifth biome was by far the hardest I think but the sixth is pretty damn challenging as well.

If you're still playing the main game you probably haven't started Tower of Sisyphus yet? That is a great time, pretty much as fun as story mode.
I poked my head in but decided to leave it until the story was done. I think I might try to platinum it anyway even though it's probably nails. I'm approaching 40 now and at some point (soon if Returnal is anything to go by) these games will be too hard for me so going to make the most of my final days of not being an old stupid man.