Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:45:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tools

Started by touchingcloth, June 13, 2021, 12:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

For those of you without access to Photoshop, this looks pretty fucking great:

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 10, 2021, 02:50:03 PM
Somebody's written a photoshop alternative as a web app.

https://www.photopea.com/

I don't know if it's any good, but there have been a few threads from people asking for alternatives, so I thought I'd flag it up.

Mr Farenheit

That looks pretty decent.

I use Affinity Photo, which for my purposes is as good as Photoshop. It's a one off payment though, unlike Photoshop. Seems to be on offer at the moment for £23.

Fambo Number Mive

As someone who can't afford Photoshop and couldn't run it anyway, how easy is it to teach yourself to photoshop using something like Photopea or Affinity Photo? Then I can do my own wringing of the fry up lad.

Are most people on here self taught?

touchingcloth

I'm self-taught, it's pretty easy to pick up from online tutorials but it takes a while to feel fully comfortable with it. Having played around with Photopea a bit it seems like Photoshop tutorials would be pretty easy to apply to it, so definitely worth having a google around and trying it out for yourself.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I use Pixlr, it does the job. I'm also self-taught.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 13, 2021, 03:41:27 PM
As someone who can't afford Photoshop and couldn't run it anyway, how easy is it to teach yourself to photoshop using something like Photopea or Affinity Photo? Then I can do my own wringing of the fry up lad.

I think most phones will let you put stickers on images, and those stickers can be other images.
It's a pain on a phone to crop background out to get yourself a Hans sticker though. If you want to do a really low effort thing a phone will do it. Can download pre-cropped by GIS  for 'x no/transparent background' or 'x no border' and drop a Brucie in something in 2 minutes.

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 13, 2021, 03:41:27 PM

Self-taught, you can learn through watching tutorials- the various apps'/programs' commands and layouts are so similar a photoshop tutorial could work for one of the free apps (although photopea seems to have quite a few by itself). I always think its best if you have a project in mind and google tutorials for stuff you want to do as you go along.

The basics are getting the gist of Selection, Layers, Masking (cutting something out), and Transforming (change the size, rotate, mirror something). If you have these you're ready for round 2 of wimblewrong when machotrouts' opponent drops out.

Example, download an image you want to use and open in photopea

Select the area you want to cut out with 'magnetic lassoo' or 'quick select' (google for some tutorials).
Mask this selection.

You've now cut out fry-up man. Use right-click and COPY and he's ready to be pasted into your favourite Stanley Kubrik film, or your favourite news channel.

Open the background image in photopea..... then right-click and PASTE. He's now a new layer in the GB News image. Tick the 'transform controls' so you can see a box around him, you can use this to scale and rotate

Use MOVE to put him in position then Transform by grabbing the corner of the box to scale him down to size (hold shift while doing this to keep the proportion). If you'd needed to mirror him, go to EDIT in the menu bar and transform but no need to this time..... Voila, your image is CAB-ready!

Keep practising until you get the hang of it!

touchingcloth

Sites like https://pixlr.com/remove-background/ and remove.bg make it even easier to cut a subject out of their background if you're feeling too lazy for even a magnetic lasso. The Pixlr one works better in my experience as it doesn't resize the snipped image to buggery.

=> =>

Fambo Number Mive

Thanks for the advice everyone! Hopefully one day I'll be good enough to enter Wimblewrong, but I suspect by the time that happens we'll all be creating our own holodeck programs to share with each other instead.

mothman

My pseudoPhotoShop skills - based on Paint Shop Pro, which I'd used for years - went out the window the instant I switched over to a MacBook. I tried Pixelmator but couldn't get on with it...

touchingcloth

Quote from: mothman on June 24, 2021, 10:10:07 PM
My pseudoPhotoShop skills - based on Paint Shop Pro, which I'd used for years - went out the window the instant I switched over to a MacBook. I tried Pixelmator but couldn't get on with it...

Photopea ma83tttt

mothman

OK, I'll check it out.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 14, 2021, 06:42:16 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! Hopefully one day I'll be good enough to enter Wimblewrong, but I suspect by the time that happens we'll all be creating our own holodeck programs to share with each other instead.

I wonder if a Wimblewrong pro-am could work. Team up a previous contestant (a very loose definition of a "pro" with someone who has never entered before and is self-admitted as not being familiar with chopping up photos), with the rules being something like the images have to be produced solely by the amateur but with longer than usual between shots.

I do all my images on my phone

I use

Background Eraser https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.handycloset.android.eraser

PhotoLayers
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.handycloset.android.photolayers

Lightleap https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lightricks.quickshot

Lightleap is kinda the opposite of background eraser and is pretty rough, but does the trick (I screenshot the final image so I don't have to pay/register)

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on June 13, 2021, 04:25:59 AM
I use Affinity Photo, which for my purposes is as good as Photoshop. It's a one off payment though, unlike Photoshop. Seems to be on offer at the moment for £23.

Made the switch from old version of photoshop to this a few weeks ago.  Absolutely amazing app for the money - cheers for recommendation Mr. F!  No way I was gonna pay for the creative cloud when all I do is fart out photowrongs now and again.

Also been testing that https://pixlr.com/remove-background/ thingy that touchingcloth mentioned - also very impressive.  Thanks! Won't be long before wimblewrong can play out without any of us being needed.

On a related note, had a quick go of colourising some old family photos on this: https://hotpot.ai/colorize-picture  Pretty good.  At least the AI is providing me with some entertainment before it goes rogue and destroys us all...

I'd try out the phone apps mentioned, but I don't think my Nokia 3310 is gonna be able to cut the mustard.

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: Better Midlands on July 02, 2021, 11:33:39 AM
I do all my images on my phone

You get some top results just from using a phone, BM!

Quote from: TheGingerAlien on July 02, 2021, 12:09:57 PM
Made the switch from old version of photoshop to this a few weeks ago.  Absolutely amazing app for the money - cheers for recommendation Mr. F!  No way I was gonna pay for the creative cloud when all I do is fart out photowrongs now and again.

Yep, that's pretty much all I used it for as well. I don't think Photoshop is any better, at least for these purposes. The selection brush is really fast for cutting out stuff. I think this is the big difference between the Affinity/Photoshop and the free web-based apps, although that pixlr background remover was pretty impressive.

Edit to add: Affinity also do their own versions of Adobe Illustrator and Indesign for the same price.

Endicott

I use Affinity for my actual photo processing and it does a good job, no was was I going to pay a subscription to Adobe just to be able to process Olympus RAW files. Needs a decent spec PC to run on though.