Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:49:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brain Cigar podcast (Peter Baynham)

Started by SteveDave, June 16, 2021, 01:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

A friend told me about this this morning and I've been chuckling at the first episode from the kick off.

I see it's mentioned there- https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,87633.0.html but...go.

spaghetamine

really enjoyed this as a bed-time listen, parts of it reminded me of a cosier version of blue jam

Cold Meat Platter

Only listened to a bit but it reminded me very much of the meandering weirdness of his and Morris' convos on the R1 music show. Which then just made me think: WHY ISN'T MORRIS ON/DOING THIS?

M-CORP

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on June 18, 2021, 03:10:49 PM
Only listened to a bit but it reminded me very much of the meandering weirdness of his and Morris' convos on the R1 music show. Which then just made me think: WHY ISN'T MORRIS ON/DOING THIS?

I'm asking that question as well, but I'd hazard a guess that Morris is unlikely to do a rambly podcast or radio show; I imagine him viewing it as pointless, non-innovative repetition of his earlier material. Of course, I'd love to be proved wrong and hear him doing a podcast/radio show again (but he should of course do whatever piques his interest).

Anyway, I liked this. Need to listen to it again and actually concentrate on it because some bits lost my feeble mind, but I enjoyed the bit with
Spoiler alert
Julia Davis
[close]
, as well as the return near the end of the ol'
Spoiler alert
Blue Jam Club News (different context, similar gags).
[close]

Thomas

As above, the format naturally invites reference to those brilliant surreal chats in the Music Shows - which means Jeremy Simmonds will inevitably be (even subconsciously) compared to Morris as these go on, especially if he's cast in the no less-nonsense authoritarian role.

Baynham is delightful in those original conversations, and remains so here - I've laughed a few times, especially at the logic of
Spoiler alert
trying to contact Bono solely because his usual babysitter wasn't available
[close]
. I've just read that there are only six episodes of these ready for release - hopefully it rolls on, could do with something to complement Athletico Mince's impressively ceaseless march.

Then the two podcasts will collide, resulting in Mortimer & Baynham's Brain Mince.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Baynham's so good at grounding a whimsical or outlandish concept with a really perfectly observed turn of phrase or believable detail that sells the entire conceit.

Cold Meat Platter

Fucking hell that R1 music show where Pete is in Edinburgh just popped into my head, the one where he goes bersek and starts shouting "YOU OLD BASTARD! YOU OLD BASTARD!"  at Morris and runs out of the studio. Even though I heard it years later, not live, it was sublime.

AzureSky

Get up at 4am to see the castle wandering around having a wank.

Cold Meat Platter

Epic Bisto

Thanks for the heads up.  Anything Baynham's involved in will always be worth checking out.

bobloblaw

think this has been shared already but just in case, it's a must-read, if only for the tidbit of Baynham being The Day Today's unofficial horse-namer

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jun/15/we-did-our-bit-biden-elected-peter-baynham-writing-borat-brass-eye-alan-partridge-bowie

amateur

Listened to the first episode.

Really wanted to like it, and there were some great moments, but I don't think I can take any more podcasts that heavily feature two men arguing. I find it exhausting.

Some lovely moments from Peter though. Maybe I'll give the second a go in the hope it'll be gentler.

BeardFaceMan

I'm really enjoying this, it's nice to hear Pete performing again, so I went back to listen to some of the Chris Morris R1 shows. That was a mistake, I forgot just how much of his radio work involved pranking people, can't be arsed to search through each episode to find the funny Pete & Chris bits.

zomgmouse

These have been great so far. Incredibly silly stuff. Especially enjoyed the Thomas the Tank Engine anatomy stuff, and as Thomas (no relation I assume) mentioned, the Bono babysitter stuff was threads of gold.

Pink Gregory

Wonderful line read -

"They don't do it like that any more."

THUD

"What the *fuck* is that."

bobloblaw

the Jack Nicholson story conjured up such vivid memories of unexpected Saturday morning telly bookings that I could almost picture it as real. A Proustian rush of a mainstay of my childhood that can never return. Quite moving in its own silly way

Hat FM

read this as brian cigar and was expecting an alan partridge type character presenting a show. was getting annoyed that my podcast app search didnt seem to work properly.

sevendaughters

I really quite like the Architecture of Bacon.

Thomas

I think I detected vocal traces of
Spoiler alert
Steve Pemberton
[close]
in that last ep.

Epic Bisto

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 30, 2021, 12:35:45 AM
the Thomas the Tank Engine anatomy stuff

I shouldn't have listened to this at work, because
Spoiler alert
the development stages of foetal trains
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
what mother trains do with the runts of the litter
[close]
made me giggle like a right twat.

Natnar

That "Hello Hello Hello" thing they start and end episodes with is incredibly creepy.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Natnar on July 16, 2021, 10:44:21 PM
That "Hello Hello Hello" thing they start and end episodes with is incredibly creepy funny.

ChillingDemon

I'm absolutely loving this, I have to say. The most recent episode, with the malfunctioning heat-seeking robot, featured a genuinely unsettling performance by Baynham (in addition to it being hilarious). I love the way it has a rich vein of darkness running through it; the Nicholson anecdote seemed quite believable, and the description of the Romanian amusement parks based on British sitcoms was solid gold, I thought.

Captain Z

Just in case anyone else was only paying attention to the website, it appears that they gave up on updating it after episode 3. There are actually 6 episodes available through the podcast sites, e.g. https://audioboom.com/channels/5053035

non capisco

Quote from: ChillingDemon on August 13, 2021, 04:49:46 AM
the description of the Romanian amusement parks based on British sitcoms was solid gold, I thought.

Loved the detail of someone wandering around dressed as Paul Hogan because they'd based the sitcom theme park on a VHS copy with the adverts left in.

A real mixed big for me, though. Some great ideas (anatomy of Thomas the Tank Engine comfortably the funniest section) but a fair amount of obtuse and meandering stuff that left me cold to the point of actually finding it quite annoying (that 'Throat' shite, pretty much all the little interstitial bits)

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: non capisco on August 27, 2021, 11:08:24 PM
that 'Throat' shite

Odd thing of them constantly hanging a lantern on how it's not good, but still including it in every episode.  I can't complain though because it's great to have Pete back writing and performing center-stage.

non capisco

Yeah, agreed. I loved his performance of rising panic at the malfunctioning robot in the last episode straight after deliberately fucking about with the buttons.