Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:19:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Adrian Chiles

Started by TrenterPercenter, July 21, 2021, 05:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frajer

Quote from: shiftwork2 on October 23, 2021, 09:25:48 AM
Drinks twenty pints a week, gets to make a TV show about it.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: shiftwork2 on October 23, 2021, 09:25:48 AM
Drinks twenty pints a week, gets to make a TV show about it.

Yep mentioned this before; being a rich alcoholic and poor alcoholic are two very different things in the UK especially in the Guardian.  Remember the story about the edgy-haired middle class woman with a garage full of wine that realised she might have had a drinking problem when she was drunk at a wedding once.   

Expensive wine can't be bad for you? It only gets you posh drunk after all, which is generally charming (until the point they feel safe with you and start telling you how they hate brown people and want to fuck you).

Tony Tony Tony

I'm starting to detect an air of jealousy about how Chiles had lucked out in getting a well paid career out of being, well Adrian Chiles.

Can't you lot just stop being jealous and Chilesish?

poo

The Dog

Heard they were going to do a darker grittier reboot of Working Lunch filmed on a council estate in Bethnal Green. Rumours that Adrian Chiles has been seen down the gym bulking up.

pigamus

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 23, 2021, 09:33:42 AM
Yep mentioned this before; being a rich alcoholic and poor alcoholic are two very different things in the UK especially in the Guardian.  Remember the story about the edgy-haired middle class woman with a garage full of wine that realised she might have had a drinking problem when she was drunk at a wedding once.   

Expensive wine can't be bad for you? It only gets you posh drunk after all, which is generally charming (until the point they feel safe with you and start telling you how they hate brown people and want to fuck you).

If hating brown people and wanting to fuck you is wrong then I don't wanna be right

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: pigamus on October 23, 2021, 10:19:50 AM
If hating brown people and wanting to fuck you is wrong then I don't wanna be right

Love that tune; I'm serious here though I actively avoid going to any of the boozy corps de'èlite events for this very reason.  Of course sober these people know all the terminology to give the opposite impression; like a learnt interview protocol.  Ive found it best to just avoid.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: poo on October 23, 2021, 10:07:34 AM
I'm OK with Chilesy

Same here, seems like a pleasant chap who doesn't take himself seriously.

He comes across as completely nerveless and naturally himself as a presenter, which is rare - many presenters end up with similar mannerisms because they get over-trained. I suppose his Eeyore-ish self-deprecation suited most of the shows he did, but not an ITV breakfast show where the viewers want regular fluffiness and not a presenter who seems hungover.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on October 21, 2021, 04:59:32 PM
He is bezzie mates with Frank Skinner so must like a laugh.

I realise the above is a pretty poor defence of the man but he is also an avid West Brom fan... hasn't he suffered enough?

Apart from them being Baggies, they both have degrees in Eng Lit and are practising Catholics who go to Mass regularly. Forgive us Father for our bostin salaries.

mjwilson

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on October 21, 2021, 11:35:25 PM
Fair 'nuff.

Back to the subject of Adrian himself. I realise I am beginning to sound a bit like an apologist for him, but is his stuff really that execrable? His Gruaniad writings are simply bits of fluff that he probably gets a regular cheque for. Who amongst wouldn't mind picking up a few quid on a regular basis for churning out a couple of hundred words of froth to fill a column or two in a failing newspaper?       

I like Chiles as a presenter, TV and radio, but he is absolutely not capable of writing a decent newspaper column, and, as others have noted, it's not a job he got on merit. I don't see a problem calling out the nepotism here.

buttgammon

Yeah, he seems like a perfectly decent guy (although I love the Stewart Lee bit about him), but he's entirely unqualified for the job and only has it because of who his spouse is.

Chollis

so that's it then now? we all love Adrian Chiles?

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Chollis on October 23, 2021, 12:55:36 PM

It goes deeper than that.

touchingcloth

Quote from: imitationleather on July 22, 2021, 01:03:38 AM
I am a much-loved Rave Elder and everyone sits in a semi-circle around me in the Chiles-out room as I regale them with tales of seeing Aphex Twin play in 2005.

FTFY

touchingcloth

The Dog

Quote from: mjwilson on October 23, 2021, 12:41:30 PM
I like Chiles as a presenter, TV and radio, but he is absolutely not capable of writing a decent newspaper column, and, as others have noted, it's not a job he got on merit. I don't see a problem calling out the nepotism here.

You assume it is nepotism but it could just be an act of sincere kindness towards a man trapped light years away from his home planet.

chveik

Quote from: Chollis on October 23, 2021, 12:55:36 PM

no, he's a talentless fat fuck

poo

Glebe

Haven't put Chiles in Windsor Davies' wardrobe* yet. This must be remedied.

*H.S. Art business for the bewildered.

king_tubby

TrenterPercenter

Cunts stole my thread!

GoblinAhFuckScary

couldn't stop thinking about adrian all night god i want him

Butchers Blind

Really fancy going for a drink or seven with Chiles right now.

TrenterPercenter

Some classic Chiles today in the Guardian.

Quote from: Adrian ChilesI am told that one solution is to dispense with the mundane stuff and really prioritise. But the mundane stuff is my only refuge. The last couple of days have been typical. I am helping my brother with some building work. He would say "helping" rather than helping. At the same time I have had several pieces to write; hungry mouths to feed; shows to prepare for; and other unforeseen stuff seeping in by text and email. I was tasked to demolish a low wall but, after a couple of hits, got distracted by something, put the lump hammer down, and couldn't find it again. I was switched to clearing-up duties but lost first one set of gloves then another. Going back into the house to look for some more, in my efforts to remove a wellington boot, I pulled a hamstring. I limped past the ironing board and saw that some needed doing. For the only time all day, dealing with one T-shirt, four handkerchiefs and several tea towels, the prospect of real happiness loomed. But my reverie was interrupted by my brother hammering on the window, enquiring, in industrial language, what on earth I was playing at, which was a fair question. And so, the ironing too remained unfinished. It's time something changed.

Glebe

QuoteI am told that one solution is to dispense with the mundane stuff and really prioritise. But the mundane stuff is my only refuge. The last couple of days have been typical. I am helping my brother with some building work. He would say "helping" rather than helping. At the same time I have had several pieces to write; hungry mouths to feed; shows to prepare for; and other unforeseen stuff seeping in by text and email. I was tasked to demolish a low wall but, after a couple of hits, got distracted by something, put the lump hammer down, and couldn't find it again. I was switched to clearing-up duties but lost first one set of gloves then another. Going back into the house to look for some more, in my efforts to remove a wellington boot, I pulled a hamstring. I limped past the ironing board and saw that some needed doing. For the only time all day, dealing with one T-shirt, four handkerchiefs and several tea towels, the prospect of real happiness loomed. But my reverie was interrupted by my brother hammering on the window, enquiring, in industrial language, what on earth I was playing at, which was a fair question. And so, the ironing too remained unfinished. It's time something changed.

dissolute ocelot

There should be a special tier of Guardian supportership where they give you the addresses of everybody who reads this shit, and the lump hammer Adrian lost.

dissolute ocelot

Today! I know nothing about local government! Literally just a column about how he doesn't understand local government. He makes no attempt to find out the facts or explain it to the reader. He just writes about his own pathetic ignorance. Utterly worthless.

chveik

it'll be quicker for him to list the things he does understand

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 13, 2022, 12:22:46 PMToday! I know nothing about local government! Literally just a column about how he doesn't understand local government. He makes no attempt to find out the facts or explain it to the reader. He just writes about his own pathetic ignorance. Utterly worthless.

No I'm into it now - I think I get it. We get to live in his head for a few minutes, it's not flash or exciting it's just the musings of human mind.  It's living art, honest and dull.

Icehaven

He's basically a less attractive Fun Bobby from Friends, only instead of going from fun to boring he went from already boring to absolutely mind-numbing.