Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,484
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:39:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone read the "Bosch" books from Michael Connelly?

Started by surreal, August 02, 2021, 01:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

No, not the manual you get with a boiler...  I decided to take a break from SF and into a genre I've not really looked at before.

I've just started "The Black Echo", which I'm finding quite readable but may have been coloured somewhat by having watched the TV show first.  Even though they are a mash up of multiple books they do affect how I see the characters - but then I did the same with The Expanse I guess.

Anyone else read these?  Am I best off sticking to publication order?  I'd guess there may be mention of previous cases or ongoing ones? 

Fambo Number Mive

Yes, I very much enjoyed them. It's probably best off sticking to publication order. The first six Bosch books are all excellent, after that they aren't quite as gripping but still worth a read.

I'd also strongly recommend Blood Work by Connelly, the first one of his Terry McCaleb series.

ArchieGemmel

I started reading them after watching the show as well. They're all very readable, even the 'bad' ones still have their merits and Bosch ages over the series and his relationship with the LAPD changes.

I'd also recognize reading the Mickey Haller books, he pops up in some of the Bosch ones and they are all solid legal thrillers (if you like that sort of thing).

surreal

Quote from: ArchieGemmel on August 03, 2021, 02:33:51 PM
I'd also recognize reading the Mickey Haller books, he pops up in some of the Bosch ones and they are all solid legal thrillers (if you like that sort of thing).

Thanks, I'll make a note of that.  I've just started a new job so not much time or energy for reading but I'd hope to have this one finished this week and on to the next

paruses

I really enjoy his writing. You can tell he's come from "that world" in that he used to be a crime reporter and understands how it all works. Someone like Lee Child obviously wrote / worked in TV and is writing quite stock 1 hour procedural sort of stuff and as his stuff goes on you get a feeling he's writing it some it will be a film and after that is just pressing the button on the machine that churns them out.

Thing I like about Connelly's stuff is that whichever ones you read (Haller, McCaleb, think there might be another one too) they are all connected somehow back to Bosch - even if it's only in a passing reference. You get this feeling that you're part of it - or maybe it's just me.

Deffo read them in order though. More satisfying. One oddity for me is I feel like starting a new one is a chore but it only lasts a chapter. Mind you, I feel the same about watching Peep Show.