Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:09:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

David Baddiel to tell us about online abuse

Started by Famous Mortimer, August 02, 2021, 05:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: robhug on February 02, 2022, 02:07:12 PMOn his last Bowie podcast he mentioned that there were professional David Baddiel lookalikes to which Tim Hinks rather incredulously said "are there??" to which Dave replied "there must be"

I'm just saying its potentially something to fall back on.

I could make a mint! Thanks for that.

chveik

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 02, 2022, 01:16:27 PMDavid is back to bestow wisdom from the one authority on racism, his book! Well done David. You educate Whoopi Goldberg about racism.

is he defending her because she's rich and famous?

king_tubby

The Guppy

She said the Holocaust wasn't about race because it was "two groups of white people". Viewing it through a very American lens like a total bonehead.

She dug her heels in a bit at first, but she's now apologised says she stands corrected.

king_tubby

robhug

You'd think with her surname she'd have been a bit more clued up, surely its come up in the past.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: robhug on February 02, 2022, 03:41:20 PMYou'd think with her surname she'd have been a bit more clued up, surely its come up in the past.
She has form in saying extremely stupid things. From defending Roman Polanski's rape as "not rape-rape"; to saying Michael Vick's dogfighting conviction was a result of "cultural upbringing"; to defending Mel Gibson as "not a racist"; to vigorously defending Bill Cosby, she can't keep her foot out of her fucking mouth.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: robhug on February 02, 2022, 03:41:20 PMYou'd think with her surname she'd have been a bit more clued up, surely its come up in the past.

Interestingly, it's not her real name; despite her telling the Jewish Chronicle in 2016 "Goldberg is my name, it's part of my family, part of my heritage," she has no Jewish heritage and none of her ancestors were called Goldberg, according to the 2009 book 'In Search of Our Roots: How 19 Extraordinary African Americans Reclaimed Their Past' by Henry Louis Gates, Jr. A 2006 documentary revealed she was of 92% sub-Saharan African heritage. A common explanation is that her mother thought she wouldn't make it in Hollywood because her real surname, Johnson, wasn't Jewish enough. Much better name for a comic though, Whoopi Johnson, effectively Farty Penis.

idunnosomename

He gives her the benefit of the doubt a lot more than the time Jeremy Corbyn pronounced Jeffery Epstein's name correctly

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on February 02, 2022, 05:02:42 PMA common explanation is that her mother thought she wouldn't make it in Hollywood because her real surname, Johnson, wasn't Jewish enough. Much better name for a comic though, Whoopi Johnson, effectively Farty Penis.

The old joke was that she should've married this bloke.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on February 02, 2022, 05:02:42 PMInterestingly, it's not her real name; despite her telling the Jewish Chronicle in 2016 "Goldberg is my name, it's part of my family, part of my heritage," she has no Jewish heritage and none of her ancestors were called Goldberg, according to the 2009 book 'In Search of Our Roots: How 19 Extraordinary African Americans Reclaimed Their Past' by Henry Louis Gates, Jr. A 2006 documentary revealed she was of 92% sub-Saharan African heritage. A common explanation is that her mother thought she wouldn't make it in Hollywood because her real surname, Johnson, wasn't Jewish enough. Much better name for a comic though, Whoopi Johnson, effectively Farty Penis.

Like to imagine this was all instantly typed up from memory

Menu

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on February 02, 2022, 05:02:42 PM. A common explanation is that her mother thought she wouldn't make it in Hollywood because her real surname, Johnson, wasn't Jewish enough.

Whoopi Goldberg's mum: Cancelled.

idunnosomename

Was thinking maybe this is a labour thread thing considering the biggest name on here. But paperback cover dropped and

Fuckin hell

jobotic

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on February 02, 2022, 08:34:57 PMLike to imagine this was all instantly typed up from memory

Autopsy is the UK's number one Whoopi Goldberg fan and expert.

I hope he'll give us some more Whoopi fun facts soon.

KennyMonster

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 03, 2022, 07:45:41 PMWas thinking maybe this is a labour thread thing considering the biggest name on here. But paperback cover dropped and

Fuckin hell

Ahh fuck, add Gaiman to the list of people whose respect has taken a hit, there's going to be a nagging scintilla of doubt when I watch or read his stuff from now on.
Disappointed.
I knew Fry was an idiot so that's not news.

Strangely enough it was only a couple of days ago that I wondered what DB thought of Starmer deliberatly purging Jews from Labour for being the wrong sort of Jew, 'had he said anything?' I thought, I mean technically he was a proud antisemite alreay before the purge.

Now it seems that he's getting quoted on the cover of the paperback.

It might have been a publisher's/Editor's decision and not his but surely if Baddiel was genuine he'd be up in arms about Starmer's actions too? 

jobotic

"His daughter and my son have tennis lessons together. I endorse his product"

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: robhug on February 02, 2022, 02:07:12 PMOn his last Bowie podcast he mentioned that there were professional David Baddiel lookalikes to which Tim Hinks rather incredulously said "are there??" to which Dave replied "there must be"

I'm just saying its potentially something to fall back on.
There is a gap in the market for a Baddiel lookalike. Which is another way of saying, as far as I can see, there are no professional Baddiel lookalikes. lookalikes.co.uk can do you a Gervais or a Russell Brand or Danny Dyer. Or you can hire the actual Baddiel "in demand as for hosting awards and after dinner speaking as well as stand up comedy".

EDIT: The Blair lookalike has aged MUCH BETTER than the real thing. Not sleeping well?

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: jobotic on February 03, 2022, 09:06:19 PMAutopsy is the UK's number one Whoopi Goldberg fan and expert.
I hope he'll give us some more Whoopi fun facts soon.

She's alright, especially her early stand up - fun fact: she has a tattoo of funny yellow Peanuts bird Woodstock - but all I could remember was she's not a Goldberg, not Jewish and her mum suggested the surname might help her succeed in Hollywood (because nobody called Johnson has ever distinguished themselves in the USA). I could just have said that, but it sounds crazy so I thought I'd best pin down some sources.

Jackson K Pollock

There is a David Baddiel lookalike, and it's glorious.

http://www.lookalikes.info/our-lookalikes/tv-stars/david-baddiel-(martin-moses)

In fact I think I've just found my new avatar.

Not sure that he's ever been booked for anything though.

Captain Z

Yes, I'd like to book your David Baddiel for our Inbetweeners party please...

robhug

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on February 04, 2022, 10:02:07 AMThere is a David Baddiel lookalike, and it's glorious.

http://www.lookalikes.info/our-lookalikes/tv-stars/david-baddiel-(martin-moses)

In fact I think I've just found my new avatar.

Not sure that he's ever been booked for anything though.

Theres a few shit ones but I must say the Stig is absolutely uncanny.

MrsWarboysLover

He could grow his hair out alternate months and do John Oliver too

gilbertharding

I like their Rene. Don't know what Bella Emberg is doing with him mind.

lebowskibukowski

Due to Luddite-ism, I can't post the picture up, but their Mark Lamarr is fucking glorious. The only similarity is a pair of glasses...

idunnosomename

It's the small suburban garden fence that gets me

QDRPHNC

lebowskibukowski

...and the Yoko Ono is literally just AN ASIAN WOMAN. I haven't seen these for a years but Christ, they are an absolute goldmine.
And in what circumstances would someone hire a Sarah Brightman lookalike?