Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:59:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

10 inch Tablets

Started by Neomod, August 04, 2021, 11:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomod

I'm in the market for a 10 inch android tablet for under £150 mainly to be used for music and art so needs to be stylus friendly.

Are these Lenovo's any good?
https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/tablets/android-tablets/lenovo-tab-series/Tab-M10-HD-2nd-Gen/p/ZA6W0137GB

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

You'll need a really big glass of water to wash it down.

surreal

Quote from: Neomod on August 04, 2021, 11:25:19 PM
I'm in the market for a 10 inch android tablet for under £150 mainly to be used for music and art so needs to be stylus friendly.

Are these Lenovo's any good?
https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/tablets/android-tablets/lenovo-tab-series/Tab-M10-HD-2nd-Gen/p/ZA6W0137GB

I bought a Lenovo 7" last year to use instead of just browsing on my phone.  Been perfectly usable since, getting a bit slow now as I suspect it needs a cache clear, but can't knock Lenovo in terms of quality for the price - I'm guessing these are the latest models so would be faster than mine.  I don't use a stylus or anything particularly stressing on mine so I can't comment from that side.

peanutbutter

Used galaxy tab s3 might do the job? From what I gather the styluses are decent and you get an OLED screen, def can get one for around that price point used, s2 might do the job and be even cheaper.

Would want to check what battery life is like though, and if you really want stylus features you might be better off getting the cheapest possible pencil compatible iPad. iPad Air 3 or iPad Gen 6-8. The ecosystem for Android tablets isn't really there so I imagine there's not much in the way of good stylus based apps.

It's what you do with it that counts.

Utter Shit

What exactly does a top of the range tablet do that a normal one can't? The difference in prices seem crazy to me, because to my blinkered mind there is only a limited number of things you can do on a tablet.

olliebean

The biggest difference in price seems to be whether the screen is full HD or higher, or just 800 x whatever.

Neomod

Plus at lot of the standard android tablets don't work with a drawing stylus.

Hence people buying an iPad for procreate, a $10 app.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Utter Shit on August 11, 2021, 04:17:20 PM
What exactly does a top of the range tablet do that a normal one can't? The difference in prices seem crazy to me, because to my blinkered mind there is only a limited number of things you can do on a tablet.

In addition to better quality screens as mentioned, there's processing power, sound quality (e.g. number of speakers), RAM, battery, storage, connectivity (e.g. can it take a sim) and camera(s) to consider. Also, a lot of cheaper Android tablets don't have native stylus support and some tablets (usually the more upmarket ones) will come with keyboards.

Additional storage - Apple is a great example for this - can really drive up the price quickly; there's a huge markup.

In terms of what you can do with a tablet, these days to all intents and purposes, it's largely you can do with a laptop or a lot of computers - and for a long time that's been the case. For instance, people have long been writing articles about what it's like to use a tablet for work instead of a laptop - and I think it's last month, was reading one making the case of producing 14" tablets for exactly that reason.

It used to be said (with good reason) that if you wanted a tablet that will give you a brilliant tablet experience and replace a laptop to an extent, get an iPad and if you wanted one that could replace a laptop and give a reasonable tablet experience, get a Surface Pro. That's no really longer the case.

In terms of transferring desktop applications to tablets, often it's not that tablets can't run them being issue, but having to completely rethink/redesign the user interface.

Recently, Phase One announced its Capture One software will be available for iPads - that's aimed largely aimed a professional photographers and higher-end enthusiasts. To give an idea of cost, a perpetual license costs £300 and if you can get a discount, upgrading to the next version is (IIRC) £150 - so not exactly budget software. I would expect Phase One will also be incorporating mobile services in its offerings so there is a few factors at play.  For a decent amount of time, there's been noticeable activity in its user forums asking when people will be able to use the software to some extent on iPads - how representative that is I can't say but feel it does indicate that there's a demand for doing that, particularly a couple of rival companies offer such things.

evilcommiedictator

I had to exhale really hard to get it up there, "had to be taken rectally" it said on the box

Utter Shit

Quote from: Ignatius_S on August 11, 2021, 06:40:35 PM
In addition to better quality screens as mentioned, there's processing power, sound quality (e.g. number of speakers), RAM, battery, storage, connectivity (e.g. can it take a sim) and camera(s) to consider. Also, a lot of cheaper Android tablets don't have native stylus support and some tablets (usually the more upmarket ones) will come with keyboards.

Additional storage - Apple is a great example for this - can really drive up the price quickly; there's a huge markup.

In terms of what you can do with a tablet, these days to all intents and purposes, it's largely you can do with a laptop or a lot of computers - and for a long time that's been the case. For instance, people have long been writing articles about what it's like to use a tablet for work instead of a laptop - and I think it's last month, was reading one making the case of producing 14" tablets for exactly that reason.

It used to be said (with good reason) that if you wanted a tablet that will give you a brilliant tablet experience and replace a laptop to an extent, get an iPad and if you wanted one that could replace a laptop and give a reasonable tablet experience, get a Surface Pro. That's no really longer the case.

In terms of transferring desktop applications to tablets, often it's not that tablets can't run them being issue, but having to completely rethink/redesign the user interface.

Recently, Phase One announced its Capture One software will be available for iPads - that's aimed largely aimed a professional photographers and higher-end enthusiasts. To give an idea of cost, a perpetual license costs £300 and if you can get a discount, upgrading to the next version is (IIRC) £150 - so not exactly budget software. I would expect Phase One will also be incorporating mobile services in its offerings so there is a few factors at play.  For a decent amount of time, there's been noticeable activity in its user forums asking when people will be able to use the software to some extent on iPads - how representative that is I can't say but feel it does indicate that there's a demand for doing that, particularly a couple of rival companies offer such things.

Nice one, cheers. I ask because I have some shabby old one that my wife bought and never used (Galaxy Tab A? Something like that) and it does everything I need it to. Which to be honest doesn't extend much beyond a few streaming apps and some games for my son. I think the issue from my POV is that the lack of keyboard/mouse is a massive issue for me, so a lot of the things that higher-spec models allow you to do are things I'd rather do on a desktop anyway.

olliebean

One thing to note regarding streaming video is that Netflix is rather selective about which devices it supports for HD. If you're using an unsupported tablet, it doesn't matter what the screen resolution is, Netflix will only give you SD. There may not be a hugely noticeable difference between a 720p and 1080p screen, depending how large the screen and how close you're viewing it from, but the difference between SD and HD is much more noticeable.

The list of supported tablets is here, and it does seem to have expanded somewhat since I last looked, but this is something you may want to check, especially if you're thinking of getting an older tablet.

Utter Shit

Only slightly related but it was a real game-changer for me - if you like to watch stuff on your tablet (or phone) in bed, this labour-saving device is great. Hook it onto the side of your bed, twist it to whatever angle suits your eyeline and you're laughing.

Glebe

The Lenovo M10 FHD Plus looks tasty and is reasonably cheap.

Tried to rescue my old Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 with a new battery, unfortunately it no longer receives updates and the screen freezes and shit so that was a waste of time.