Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:03:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

WYSIWYG website editors (like Microsoft Frontpage)

Started by Mobbd, August 18, 2021, 10:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

Posting in the tech thread! Will anyone see this? Let's find out.

I miss the Old Web and I fancy making some old-fashioned websites just for fun. My html coding was always basic and when making sites in the past I'd often cheat by mocking the site up in MS Frontpage and pasting the trickier code into my main sheet for ease and corner-cutting.

Even in those days I was aware that Frontpage was a bit shit. It often added a lot of unnecessary (proprietary?) code, so what I was exporting from it was a bit dirty and needlessly heavy.

Before I fall back on my old ways by downloading Frontpage 2010 or similar, could anyone recommend a simpler, lighter-weight, preferably Open Source WYSIWYG editor?

Thants.

x

canadagoose

Back in the day I used to use NVu, is that still a thing?

touchingcloth

Wordpress and - I assume - Squarespace are basically this. No need to learn to code, just grab a theme which suits your needs. Wordpress seems to have gone even more down the WYSIWIG route the last time I looked, and it lets you drop little template blocks all over the place.

I often work with non-tech-savvy marketing people who have a need to create customised HTML emails, and I typically suggest they use https://beefree.io/ to drag and drop a layout to grab the code for, as compared to some tools it generates HTML which is more understandable by humans.

Mobbd

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 19, 2021, 12:29:25 AM
Wordpress and - I assume - Squarespace are basically this. No need to learn to code, just grab a theme which suits your needs. Wordpress seems to have gone even more down the WYSIWIG route the last time I looked, and it lets you drop little template blocks all over the place.

I often work with non-tech-savvy marketing people who have a need to create customised HTML emails, and I typically suggest they use https://beefree.io/ to drag and drop a layout to grab the code for, as compared to some tools it generates HTML which is more understandable by humans.

Wordpress and Squarespace are exactly what I'm not looking for. I have a couple of Wordpress sites (made for me by a developer) but I want to create a site from scratch myself (not from templates) and for a live preview screen to be ever-present so I can adjust things on that interface when I don't know the code for what I'm trying to do. I want my new sites to be very simple, with an emphasis on text and hyperlinks.

I just remembered a thing I used to do in the old days. I would scan an image from a book or something, load it into Frontpage, and use the "hotspot" function to turn parts of that image into links, so the effect was a clickable visual interface. So cool. It felt like good, creative fun with a little bit of knowledge involved but not of a high-geeky/professional level. That's what I miss.

I'm checking out Bee (thank you!) but I don't quite think it's right. Seems to be for email, as you said, but it does mention landing pages so I'll dig a little deeper out of interest.

Mobbd

Quote from: canadagoose on August 18, 2021, 12:18:55 PM
Back in the day I used to use NVu, is that still a thing?

Ah! Seems to be! It also has a list of other web editors on its homepage! Nice! http://www.nvu.com/

Quote from: NVu homepageOther Popular HTML Editors

CoffeeCup HTML Editor
Amaya
Atom
Bluefish
Coda
BlueGriffon
Brackets
CodeLobster
Aptana Studio
Arachnophilia
CudaText