Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:09:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Smashed iPad screen replacement tactics

Started by Beagle 2, August 28, 2021, 09:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

4-year-old smashed my £400 iPad Air (2019).

No worries, I'll replace it, I thought. Apple charge £360. Haha.

Cheapest I can't find elsewhere is £220. I... I can't afford that. Apparently I can't insure it via Apple Care plus because you can only do that in the first 60 days. Haha.

Anybody got any ideas?! Can I take out insurance with a private provider and claim after a couple of months? Anyone got a mate called Dodgy Kev who will do it for a crate of ale and some snout?

It's not like absolutely cunted, it has a few cracks right across it. Not an issue when watching stuff but I use it for drawing and the screen ripples when I press on it.

Shit of fuck.

Dex Sawash

Try a glass screen protector, might make it more usable and stop further cracks/preserve present level of function

You can maybe shop around and get a third party to fix it for cheaper, but the problem is if you've nicked the casing as it dropped it will never be a plumb fit again, and may fail over time.

peanutbutter

Looks like you can get a replacement screen for as little as 75. If you've got all the various tools and feel like a challenging repair job you could take a punt on it yourself, decent chance it'll be a bit fucked afterwards

You could just replace the front panel and see if that is enough to protect the screen but my bet would be that it's gonna get worse over time regardless. The screen protector option Dex Sawash said is probably almost as good with way less effort and risk.

Selling for parts (could probably get around 70-80) and picking up a cheap used one might be the cheapest option

Outta curiosity do you get much use out of it beyond drawing? I was thinking of getting one to replace notepads but I'm not sure I'd use it much.