Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:37:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What We Do In The Shadows Season 3

Started by Small Man Big Horse, September 03, 2021, 09:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ant Farm Keyboard

For basic cable, it's up to the standards and practices department of the channel which sets up the rules. Four or five years ago, FX relaxed their rules about the f-word, and all of a sudden, characters in various shows started to say "fuck", while it was basically impossible until then. It was jarring for old shows, where the audience was used to curse words being bleeped out or changed into something more consensual. Similar evolutions also happened at AMC (for a while, shows were allowed only one or two "fuck" each season), Adult Swim (well, you can now say "shit" there, etc.).
I guess the main reason is the influence of streaming services. Networks have to answer to the FCC. Cable channels only have to answer to their advertisers and their audience. If they got complaints from pressure groups like influential churches, it could be bad for business, so things didn't change for a while. But it makes less sense now as most people now have subscriptions to Netflix or Hulu.
For nudity, the evolution is actually slower. There are more risqué scenes, but the old criteria mostly apply, and nothing explicit is allowed. FX will only show butt. Nipples are forbidden. It's ridiculous on shows such as The Americans or Fargo where nipples looked digitally erased or have strands of hair magically glued to them.
A recent cable network like Paramount+ is unburdened by any legacy, so they decided from day one that breasts were all right. Kelly Reilly has apparently a lot of topless scenes in Yellowstone, for the record.

Glyn

There was a satisfying amount of Terry Tibbs in Kayvan Novak's Lazlo impression.

The episode felt rather Red Dwarf in a 'hey, we have an actor who can do impressions' type way but it was good fun.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Reading the reviews and comments on The AV Club (I don't know why I still bother) there is a baffling amount of confusion over whether it was Novak doing the voices.

Fuc-king guys.

frajer

Glyn

Lazlo was the give away. You'd think Berry's style would be easier to imitate but that voice is very distinctive I guess.
Nadja must have been dubbed though to be fair.

Cuellar

I thought they'd dubbed Mark Proksch's voice, then got very confused as they clearly hadn't dubbed Matt Berry's voice and had instead got Keir Starmer to do it, and then dubbed Guillermo's voice.

Was it Kayvan Novak doing all of them?

BeardFaceMan

The only one it looked like there might have been dubbing was Nadja, all the rest sounded like Novak to me.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Nadja and The Guide, which is a shame as I'd have thought it would be particularly funny to see Novak impersonate them. One clue is that there were no closeup shots when he was being dubbed by them (iirc). It was a great showcase for Novak nonetheless and an excellent series for him overall. Perhaps I should rewatch the earlier series, but I feel like he's been the most underused of the cast.

Is it extra funny, or problematic that Colin Robinson and Laszlo's assumption that the gym woman is gay turned out to be correct?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Cuellar on November 12, 2021, 10:57:15 AM
I thought they'd dubbed Mark Proksch's voice, then got very confused as they clearly hadn't dubbed Matt Berry's voice and had instead got Keir Starmer to do it, and then dubbed Guillermo's voice.

Glad it wasn't just me.

neveragain

In which episode can I find these impressions?

BeardFaceMan

neveragain

Thanks. For some reason I just can't be bothered to watch the whole series.

Virgo76

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 04, 2021, 03:18:13 PMThought the second season was much stronger than the first, think I might do a rewatch before diving in to this.

I felt the opposite, although I still enjoyed season 2. "Baron's Night Out" from season 1 still being my favourite episode of all of them.

steveh

Looks like this will be the last series on BBC 2 as the BBC's co-production deal with FX has now run out and new FX shows in the UK will be exclusively on Disney+ in the future.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: steveh on December 08, 2021, 02:29:27 PMLooks like this will be the last series on BBC 2 as the BBC's co-production deal with FX has now run out and new FX shows in the UK will be exclusively on Disney+ in the future.

That sounds like it should be bad news, however I recently binged the series, watching season 1 & 2 on Disney+ (which was all they currently have on there) and season 3 on iPlayer. Going from the crisp and vibrant 4K Dolby Vision on D+ to the Windows 98 video compression technology the BBC seem to have settled on was a massive step down.

Hat FM

Quote from: steveh on December 08, 2021, 02:29:27 PMLooks like this will be the last series on BBC 2 as the BBC's co-production deal with FX has now run out and new FX shows in the UK will be exclusively on Disney+ in the future.

does this mean atlanta won't be on the BBC?