Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:35:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Yet another Manics thread

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, September 10, 2021, 12:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Starting a new Manics thread as the new singles ended up being discussed in a This Is My Truth thread.

So the new album, The Ultra Vivid Lament, is out today.

We all know that Orwellian is bad, but Don't Let the Night Divide Us surpasses it. They've got some dreadful songs in their back catalogue but that one might be the absolute worst. The verses are painful, and then a few tracks later Into the Wings of Love copies the melody. Bizarre.

Like the last album, there's half a good record here but it's worrying how quickly they've become a pleasant Radio 2 band so soon after Futurology.

The definition of a 6/10 album. Maybe stick James Dean Bradfield's Even In Exile on instead because it's fucking great.

JohnnyCouncil

Gave it a couple of listens today. Only Afterending stands out for me, I really really like it. Some of the demos sound better but that's only when JDBs on a piano or acoustic, no point to the demos that are just pre-production versions. Didn't buy the last one and won't buy this one.

Know Your Enemy 20 soon though, think on.

Custard

Only heard it the once so far, but I really liked it. Which is nice, as I didn't get on with a fair bit of the last one, Resistance Is Futile.

I really need to give JDB's Even In Exile more listens, as I loved his debut solo record, The Great Western

Chicory

I thought 'Orwellian' was pretty good, it got stuck in my head for ages.

'Know Your Enemy' was 20 this year but I'm not sure I want to pay north of fifty quid to watch Wire gargle his way through 'Wattsville Blues'.

itsfredtitmus

they found him by tracking his footprints in the snow

itsfredtitmus

the lyrics to don't let the night divide us are like a really bad crass bridge but i dont think they were ever that bad

purlieu

KYE 21st anniversary version next year, Nicky's threatening to revert it to the two separate albums thing they originally planned. Don't mind this too much, as it'll not be replacing the original version, and is a very interesting way to approach revisiting such an inherently fragmented album.

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 10, 2021, 09:08:14 PM
Only heard it the once so far, but I really liked it. Which is nice, as I didn't get on with a fair bit of the last one, Resistance Is Futile.

I think the second half of Resistance is Futile is great. Sequels to Forgotten Wars, In Eternity and A Song For The Sadness are all quite unusual rock songs that would've sat well on Futurology. The first side is so weak though, aside from International Blue.

Custard

Yep, I agree with that. I remember thinking Vivian was the worst thing they'd ever done. Laughably so, and I love this band. It's amazing they considered it good enough to go on the record. Take that off, and it's instantly improved

I remember first listening to Vivian and thinking YES HERE COMES A GREAT MANICS CHORUS and then... that happened.

I still love them despite their flaws and will end up caning this album until I convince myself it's actually good.

purlieu

Resistance is Futile really grew on me, I absolutely love it now. The second half is particularly good, a really great mix of Lifeblood/Futurology synth-drenched stuff and their more usual major key rock sound that I don't think anyone was really expecting after the singles, but I do like it all.

Except Vivian.

Custard

Heh, I just revisited Vivian on Spotify, as I thought surely it can't be as bad as I remembered. But wow, it's even worse. It's almost like a Manics parody, or a song they've written on the spot for a bet

5 stars

Pauline Walnuts

I have like so got to listen to this now...

Pauline Walnuts

Just sounds like the Manic Street Preachers after they went off a bit.

Kankurette

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on September 11, 2021, 09:26:43 AM
I still love them despite their flaws and will end up caning this album until I convince myself it's actually good.

It's happening.

Brundle-Fly

I've also had to hear Vivian now. Funnily enough, it reminded me of Veronica by Elvis Costello, if was rewritten and performed by Jellyfish. Bit power pop-py, so I quite liked it, but is this the same band who released 'Motown Junk'? Hard to believe.

The verses on Vivian are fine. But I laughed out loud when I first heard the chorus.

Glyn

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 11, 2021, 10:12:21 PM
I've also had to hear Vivian now. Funnily enough, it reminded me of Veronica by Elvis Costello, if was rewritten and performed by Jellyfish. Bit power pop-py, so I quite liked it, but is this the same band who released 'Motown Junk'? Hard to believe.

It also has a heavy dose of Turning Japanese (badahbadahbahbahbah)

Am still digesting the new album but am also slowly convincing myself that it's a grower. Feels like there is more depth to it than Resistance is Futile but it's taking me a while to find much that I really enjoy. Happy Bored Alone has a nice Everything Must Go Bside feeling to it and Blank Diary Entry surprised me by having some decent wordplay (by Nicky Wire's standards).

My main takeaway though has been the two Nicky Wire home demos on the deluxe version. Don't Let the Night Divide Us would have been much better staying like that and Complicated Illusions would have sat very nicely on I Killed The Zeitgeist (possibly because it's a rewrite of half of the songs on it!). Hope he gets around to releasing his next solo album after the Know Your Enemy Reissue.

purlieu

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on September 11, 2021, 10:16:32 PM
The verses on Vivian are fine. But I laughed out loud when I first heard the chorus.
This, basically. It's hard to put into words, but it actually sounds like a comedy chorus.

Spiteface

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 11, 2021, 10:12:21 PM

They got old. 30-ish years between particular songs will do that to people. Not hard to believe.

Shaky

I've listened to this once and it was pleasant enough musically, but by Christ the lyrics are terrible. Fucking hell. I'm amazed Bradfield said they're Wire's best in ten years. I know they're bandmates and best friends, but still. Jeeeeeeesus.

Kankurette

Vivian isn't the worst thing they've crapped out. That would be SYMM.

Shaky

Quote from: Kankurette on September 13, 2021, 01:05:25 AM

I actually think it's OK, tune-wise, and the grim subject matter vs narcoleptic music vibe almost works (minus the Jimmy McGovern verse, of course).

My money's on that football song from a few years ago. Shitawful.

amateur

Quote from: Kankurette on September 13, 2021, 01:05:25 AM

Wither "Baby Elian"?

Spiteface

Quote from: Shaky on September 13, 2021, 05:08:28 AM
I actually think it's OK, tune-wise, and the grim subject matter vs narcoleptic music vibe almost works (minus the Jimmy McGovern verse, of course).

My money's on that football song from a few years ago. Shitawful.

Correct, because all football songs are shit.

Custard

No no no, I got a team of scientists involved and after a full 4 years of experiments and extensive research they have decided the worst Manics tune (on an album) is indeed Vivian

VIVIAN OHHH VIVIAN

Believe me, I'm a Manics fan boy, who considers 98% of their entire output to be gold. But Vivian is the drizzlers

idunnosomename

Quote from: purlieu on September 11, 2021, 10:47:03 PM
This, basically. It's hard to put into words, but it actually sounds like a comedy chorus.
it's the the shift from the gentle minor key with slightly eerie suspensions to the most straightforward major key chorus imaginiable (in lyrics, melody and chords) that's so jarring. Especially the lead, which ends with a real shave-and-haircut cheesy ending.

It is almost like a joke about how to ruin a song

itsfredtitmus

i love vivian manics always nearly went into jellyfish didn't they esp on everything must go