News:

Registrations are currently delayed due to a spam wave, please bear with me.


Signage, newspaper headlines and text gags in The Simpsons

Started by The Mollusk, September 11, 2021, 06:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbahnhof









There are so, so many of these, it's fantastic. Thanks for making the thread!

Quote from: Pink Gregory on September 12, 2021, 08:28:33 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/FKv1FHQz/034.jpg

don't remember this one

Aye, it's from the 2000s (2000), not as good.

Tony Tony Tony

September 15, 2021, 02:50:46 PM #61 Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 03:05:12 PM by Tony Tony Tony


And from Prof. Frinks yard sale....



Or...



Finally...



And ...



Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth


idunnosomename

I really like the emphasis of the signage Homer has imagined. and the placement of the apostrophe.



Brundle-Fly


idunnosomename

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on September 15, 2021, 07:02:38 PM
A rare clunker. The compulsion to add a joke should have been resisted there.
what bloody episode is it from. Idiot redditors think its hilarious but never say what it's from

Consignia

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 15, 2021, 07:33:06 PM
what bloody episode is it from. Idiot redditors think its hilarious but never say what it's from

Gone Maggie Gone https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Gone_Maggie_Gone . I was going to say it's clearly a latter day episode. But it's over 12 years old.

idunnosomename

Thank you. Thought i didnt remember it

All post 90s Simpsons episodes should be permanently erased forever.

Consignia

I had to do some mad googling to find it, but I think I have seen the episode as well. Which is definitely a rarity in anything post 2003.

I think the particular example just doesn't fit with many others in the thread. Like there's some in world plausability to many of them, but "I'm a sign" doesn't really feel like something that someone would make even in such a surreal world.

Old Thrashbarg

There's been a few in this thread I've not recognised, which means they're all from post season 11, and they've all been pretty poor. Might be my bias speaking, knowing that they're from a poor episode, but they're just not as good. Whether it's trying to force a joke that isn't there to be made, like the "Keep Out" sign, or just lazy shit with no attempt at an actual joke, like Bart attending a gay pride march.

Consignia

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on September 15, 2021, 09:13:38 PM
There's been a few in this thread I've not recognised, which means they're all from post season 11, and they've all been pretty poor. Might be my bias speaking, knowing that they're from a poor episode, but they're just not as good. Whether it's trying to force a joke that isn't there to be made, like the "Keep Out" sign, or just lazy shit with no attempt at an actual joke, like Bart attending a gay pride march.

Oof you're going to kick yourself on that one https://youtu.be/00xfi9RBloo?t=104
Spoiler alert
Lisa Vs. Malibu Stacy, quite an early one.
[close]
[nb]Although I do agree, it's a shit dated joke about pride marches, but Bart's face almost makes it.[/nb]

madhair60

"Local gays show their pride" with Bart's gormless face front and centre is very funny, unfortunately. It's problematic but it's never registered to me as an "ew, gays" joke, just as an incongruous thing to have a ten year-old kid as the "face" of the Pride parade.

Indomitable Spirit

i posted the gay pride one. the joke to me has always been the mild look of fear on Bart's face as he pre-emptively prepares himself from a beatdown from Nelson, Jimbo and Kearney.


Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Consignia on September 15, 2021, 09:23:51 PM
Oof you're going to kick yourself on that one https://youtu.be/00xfi9RBloo?t=104
Spoiler alert
Lisa Vs. Malibu Stacy, quite an early one.
[close]
[nb]Although I do agree, it's a shit dated joke about pride marches, but Bart's face almost makes it.[/nb]

Ha, well, that's something I've completely forgotten from that epsiode! But yeah, I still don't like it, it feels very 'othering'.

The Mollusk

I won't pretend that The Simpsons universe is some "complete" thing and the attitude of Bart in that newspaper photo is the same as his relative indifference to John (Waters') sexuality in "Homer's Phobia" several seasons down the line, but I do think there's an intended innocence to that photo. At a time when "gay" was used as a slur for things that are bad, I think the "ugh, shut up mom!" adolescent irritability that comes in the formative years of a 10 year old heterosexual boy in the 90s makes the bulk of the humour of this, and beyond that it's just a case of wrong place wrong time and the embarrassment Bart feels at being caught somewhere which doesn't represent him at all, much the same as if he'd been photographed at a science convention.



sbahnhof

Sadly we've no thread for headlines in Drôle de drame, but anyway, I'm pleased to learn that 1930s French films set in England would add realism by including the papers LONDON NEWS, THE MEGAPHONE, and of course BRITISH MORNING

...so, er, that's good.











Pauline Walnuts