Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:05:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Leonard and Hungry Paul by Ronan Hession

Started by holyzombiejesus, September 20, 2021, 08:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Just started reading this and am already smitten. Story of 2 socially awkward men, one who writes little passages for children's history encyclopaedias and the other who sometimes delivers letters. So much warmth to it and I think many on here would love it. This is published by a tiny publishing house called Bluemoose Books, probably best known for publishing Ben Myers' book up to and including The Gallows Pole.

The main thing about this though is that it reminds me so overwhelmingly of Daniel Kitson. Maybe not as many laughs as DK has but the voice is eerily similar to the extent that I had a bit of a dig around online. It's not DK but bits like this..

QuoteHungry Paul emerged from the bathroom wearing a white fluffy bathrobe tied with a white belt, tracksuit bottoms and flip flops with some tissue paper stuck to them. He was shaking his wrists and wore the look of intense concentration that is characteristic of a man with wet hands looking for a towel. The fact that he was in the unlikely position of wearing clothes made from the very material he needed might have tempted a lesser man, but, having already run the risk of doing a sit-down toilet while wearing white, he was not minded to capitulate under a lesser challenge.

... to my ears at least, sounds so Kitson-esque. Guardian review says " He is often inventively funny, as when he refers to blokes going to the pub "for an evening of darts, dominoes, cards or other prison games". In the same sentence he can be heart-rending, adding that Leonard chose not to go because "nothing made him feel lonelier these days than the thought of spending time in the company of extroverts". Anyway, the book is ace.

poloniusmonk

Agreed entirely. Apparently there is to be an Irish TV adaptation, which... could go either way.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: poloniusmonk on September 20, 2021, 09:12:37 PM
Agreed entirely. Apparently there is to be an Irish TV adaptation, which... could go either way.

Yeah, I saw that. Have you read his latest?

poloniusmonk

Not yet, no, though have heard very good things.