Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 07:18:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Starmer's Labour: Ghouls and Tools on the Ship of Fools

Started by pancreas, September 30, 2021, 08:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

A lot of it wasn't just bigotry it was really remarkably odd bigotry.

Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno

MI5 warning over 'Chinese agent' in Parliament

What a stroke of luck for the government that this has come up at this difficult time for them. Poor Kieth will just have to purge another lefty, I guess. I feel the pain of his twisted arm already.

Edit: Oh, I see we already have a thread about this, although it doesn't mention the names of any MPs: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=92183

Paul Calf

Well, look at this delight who I found sucking serious boot in Wes Streeting's replies

king_tubby

One of the lesser TBEU adjacent centrist parody accounts.

EOLAN

Sir Keith must be full on the PR charm offensive. Turning up unexpextedly on one of my favorite podcasts, Football Cliches.

On a segment where list and discuss three loves of football. Usually with number of past guests gets very precise to avoid overlap with previous guests. Like 'introductions in matchday programmes' or the 'goalkeeper kickout chants'.

His three specific choices are

-- Going to games
-- Goals
-- Playing football

Talking about a subject that actually enthuses him, clichés.

pigamus

king_tubby

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-labour-asl-staff-pay-cut-cash-crunch/

QuoteUK Labour asks staff to take pay cut amid cash crunch
Opposition party bosses accused of treating staff 'with contempt.'

idunnosomename

His enthusiasm for football basically matches Adam and Joe's football song then

Paul Calf

EOLAN

Two of his three annoyances are basically summarised as the commoners that are in my vicinity during matches. I mean he was ok with actual listed choices but it basically came down to that when he explained further.

Final annoyance was decent. Injury time never being right and the stadium clock stopping dead at 90 minutes. So 1 out of 6 ain't bad.

olliebean

Quote from: EOLAN on January 14, 2022, 09:33:20 AMSir Keith must be full on the PR charm offensive. Turning up unexpextedly on one of my favorite podcasts, Football Cliches.

Hmm. Alongside the seemingly irrelevant photo in this tweet: https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1481613615446859779, I'm guessing a focus group has told him that people like football.

Blinder Data

To be fair to Starmer, his enthusiasm for playing football and Arsenal appears to be genuine (they're possibly his only non-political or legal interests). But like much else about him, it comes across as contrived/weak.

The irony is he's much more of a "lad" than Johnson and comes from humbler stock, but his funny voice and lawyerly manner makes you think the opposite.

imitationleather

Bernice

Quote from: EOLAN on January 14, 2022, 09:33:20 AMSir Keith must be full on the PR charm offensive. Turning up unexpextedly on one of my favorite podcasts, Football Cliches.

On a segment where list and discuss three loves of football. Usually with number of past guests gets very precise to avoid overlap with previous guests. Like 'introductions in matchday programmes' or the 'goalkeeper kickout chants'.

His three specific choices are

-- Going to games
-- Goals
-- Playing football

Came here to post this. Not going to listen to it, obviously, but went straight to check out Twitter to see what his choices were. Unbelievable stuff. Presumably, his three footballing dislikes were 'diving', 'when my team loses' and 'people not singing God save the Queen at internationals'.

EOLAN

Quote from: Bernice on January 14, 2022, 11:21:53 AMCame here to post this. Not going to listen to it, obviously, but went straight to check out Twitter to see what his choices were. Unbelievable stuff. Presumably, his three footballing dislikes were 'diving', 'when my team loses' and 'people not singing God save the Queen at internationals'.

For the record his three dislikes were more like:

-- fans leaving early
-- fans voicing 'uneducated' opinions during games
-- extra/injury time allocation and stopping of stadium clocks at 90 minutes.

Which was a bit more specific at least.

idunnosomename

Is throwing a banana an "uneducated opinion"

If he means racist and other bigoted cunts shouting insults he should just say so

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 14, 2022, 10:56:49 AMTo be fair to Starmer, his enthusiasm for playing football and Arsenal appears to be genuine (they're possibly his only non-political or legal interests). But like much else about him, it comes across as contrived/weak.

I think the fact that even the stuff he's genuinely passionate about feels like contrived bullshit they invented to make him seem like a person is hilarious tbh.

Fambo Number Mive

I'm not a football fan, so know nothing about going to see football, but what is wrong with fans leaving early?

Buelligan

Yeah, I mean they might have jobs or other commitments that mean they can't stay for the whole thing.  Family emergencies.  Or health issues or transport problems.  Who knows.  Still, it's a nuisance if their lives disrupt your enjoyment.

Fambo Number Mive

The Telegraph has published the story about Starmer having drinks with staff during lockdown.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 14, 2022, 12:04:08 PMI'm not a football fan, so know nothing about going to see football, but what is wrong with fans leaving early?

because it's seen as a lack of commitment (not by me, i couldn't give a fuck)

plus you'd miss the end of the game.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 14, 2022, 12:04:08 PMI'm not a football fan, so know nothing about going to see football, but what is wrong with fans leaving early?

Leaving early because your team is losing maybe, but do people really do that?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on January 14, 2022, 12:17:48 PMYeah, I mean they might have jobs or other commitments that mean they can't stay for the whole thing.  Family emergencies.  Or health issues or transport problems.  Who knows.  Still, it's a nuisance if their lives disrupt your enjoyment.

I'm not a fan either but people tend to leave in droves if their team is losing. It can be seen as a lack of support... 'fair weather fans' etc.

I used to drink in a pub on the way to Pittodrie, and the place would be packed before kick off, as in you couldn't move, and if they were doing badly it could fill up again within half an hour 'I'm not staying too watch that shite!'. If they were doing well it would fill up after full time.

In fairness Aberdeen is quite cold and miserable.

It's all a contrived and veiled message that he's dedicated and dependable through the good times and the bad, he won't throw in the towel like the other jokers!

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 14, 2022, 01:21:55 PMLeaving early because your team is losing maybe, but do people really do that?

YES, or for "beating the traffic". You can't just support the team when they win, you should be there when they lose too.

shoulders

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 14, 2022, 10:56:49 AMTo be fair to Starmer, his enthusiasm for playing football and Arsenal appears to be genuine (they're possibly his only non-political or legal interests). But like much else about him, it comes across as contrived/weak.

The irony is he's much more of a "lad" than Johnson and comes from humbler stock, but his funny voice and lawyerly manner makes you think the opposite.

Yes. Tragic isn't it.

Sebastian Cobb

idunnosomename

"cyber incident"

"someone downloaded an .exe instead of a .torrent file"