Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:08:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grand Theft Auto is back!!!

Started by Chollis, October 09, 2021, 04:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chollis

Nah, not GTA6. Remaster mate.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-10-08-rockstars-grand-theft-auto-trilogy-finally-official-and-launching-later-this-year

QuoteGrand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition, to give the release its full name, will arrive for PlayStation 5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Switch, and PC at some point "later this year", with an iOS and Android launch due in the first half of 2022.

Rockstar promises "across-the-board upgrades" for GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas as part of the new release, and while it's currently remaining coy on specifics, all three titles will feature "graphical improvements and modern gameplay enhancements... while still maintaining the classic look and feel of the originals." More will be revealed in the coming weeks.

Probably gonna get this I reckon. All great games in their own right. Though I'm a little worried I just played these games too much, so much in fact that they might still feel too familiar even after all these years. I really played a lot of these three. Interested too see how good the graphical upgrades will be, I'm assuming they won't be GTA5 quality? I'm not against remasters generally. I'm playing through the Mass Effect one just now, and since I couldn't really remember anything about my only playthrough 10 odd years ago I can almost convince myself I'm playing it for the first time. But I can see why there's a lot of disdain for these next gens/remasters as cynical, low-effort money spinners. Especially since GTA5 came out in...2013, and there's still no word (?) on a GTA6. Still, this beats them spending further time and resources on more GTA5 Online shit, cos I'm never gonna play that.

H-O-W-L

I get the feeling they're going to bollocks up this remaster somehow. They're also delisting the old games the cunts. I want these to be good b/c I love GTA3/VC/SA but I have no reason to expect any good from TakePoo.

beanheadmcginty

I bought a PS2 just so I could play San Andreas, then an Xbox 360 just so I could play GTA 5, then an Xbox One just so I could play RDR2. Not because I only play those games, but nothing else would force me to upgrade like that. So it's sort of nice that Rockstar aren't forcing me to buy new consoles anymore. I'll hold off on buying a PS5 until further notice.

Jerzy Bondov

I'll be stunned if there's any actual hard work gone into these

Waking Life

This is part of remastering about ten games in their back catalogue; Rockstar of course being the last company I'd expect to make money for old rope...

I don't expect it'll be as lazy as other remasters out there, in that they probably value their 'brand' more than most (and it hasn't been outsourced), but I suppose they don't need to try either. It'll sell by the shitload.

I'm not sure I could be bothered reliving these for the sake of nostalgia - I'd be tempted if they included the add ons (the Stories for the first two) and modernised some of the mission designs, which I don't expect they will if it's not an actual remake. I presume they also won't recast the voices, but wonder how the royalties would work. They should cut David Cross out anyway, to ease the frustration of that Worst Mission Ever.

Waking Life

Just as a secondary point, they'd probably have been better diving in the deep end and doing a full blown remake of the trilogy. Given they don't seem bothered about developing new games, there's a lot of easy wins in the improvements and could properly tie a cohesive storyline across the three games. It'd sell extremely well. Not that I'd necessarily prioritise this over a new GTA, but the core game is broadly the same in each title - redesigning it with the established characters makes sense given their popularity.

Chedney Honks

When's the next gen GTAV update coming? No interest in that old PS2 shite, just want my PS3 shite.

BeardFaceMan

I won't be happy until they've re-released the first 2 games.

Malcy

I'll no doubt get this but like the update to GTAV they're not really revealing much about what the changes are. I've seen speculation that there is new missions based on details taken from the achievement list.

There's also going to be some GTA3 content in Online this month to celebrate the 20th anniversary.

Waking Life

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 09, 2021, 08:07:48 AM
I won't be happy until they've re-released the first 2 games.

With the London expansions. Wall to wall geezers.

holdover

I never played GTA 3 but hope they get all the proper music for Vice City and San Andreas

surreal

Quote from: holdover on October 09, 2021, 10:11:01 AM
I never played GTA 3 but hope they get all the proper music for Vice City and San Andreas

This is my concern, especially Vice City, the music really brought that alive.  Luckily I have it on disc anyway so can always go back to that but it would be good to have the remaster be as accurate as possible

PlanktonSideburns

Be funny if it looked like a modern game but due to last minute copyright wrangles all the music was MIDI arrangements

peanutbutter

This is more about reframing the price point at a higher levels than they let the original versions go down to than anything else.

Presumably the full trilogy will be like 50 and each game will be 20-25, in sales they might eventually hit 10 eventually but they'll never hit anywhere near their current base prices.

Ham Bap

Vice City is one of my all time favourite games. Just even the time of my life when it came out, 2nd year away at university, all the time in the world to enjoy.
The game itself, the soundtrack, I knew the map inside out.

Id love it to have the same soundtrack and a good graphical update. Fingers crossed.

bgmnts

I dont want the smallest sliver of childhood memories that were pleasant to be shot behind a shed so I'm steering very fucking clear of these.

Quote from: Waking Life on October 09, 2021, 08:50:14 AM
With the London expansions. Wall to wall geezers.

That is unironically my favourite gta game.
Then vice city.
I think after vice city the maps got too big and baggy for their own good. Too much going on. It's just too much.
I've no interest in ever playing another gta game, I don't think. San andreas was the last one I played properly.
They're great fun and very immersive, I'd just more than had my fill by that point.
Tried to get into red dead but it was just more of the same. Got old quite quickly.

peanutbutter

RE: GTA London, found out a few months ago John Berger is in the cast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sVtlZJFbF0&t=4610s

Always found London massively confusing tbh, why was it an expansion pack? Surely it'd make more sense to just release it as a self contained budget game? Was gonna be using up one CD regardless. GTA 2 came out only a few months later too so why was it even being made in the first place?
Expansion packs on the playstation were especially bizarre. Iirc the only reason Metal Gear Solid VR Missions was one was because it was too much hassle to code a language select screen into the game and they wanted to mass produce the one disc for all of Europe.

It was a standalone cd on pc, my friend gave it to me because he'd finished with it. I remember it was my first pc that I'd wombled together from other people's leftovers and the main chunk of it coming my dad's work as they were throwing all their old computers.
I think that'd probably have been my first proper pc game aside from emulators.
I remember listening to The Fall's "Are You Are Missing Winner" that I'd just been to town to buy, so that would have been November 2001.

Chollis

god, remembering GTA1 where there was only like 1 song per radio station. the DJ at the end saying "that song was so good, I think I'll play it again!". forever. makes me chuckle

H-O-W-L

Quote from: peanutbutter on October 09, 2021, 01:51:16 PM
Expansion packs on the playstation were especially bizarre. Iirc the only reason Metal Gear Solid VR Missions was one was because it was too much hassle to code a language select screen into the game and they wanted to mass produce the one disc for all of Europe.

Actually, VR Missions was the budget release of the VR disc of Integral, which featured both the main game and the VR Missions content-- for people who didn't want to repurchase the entire game. Though you still missed out on bonus maingame content.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: peanutbutter on October 09, 2021, 12:17:49 PM
This is more about reframing the price point at a higher levels than they let the original versions go down to than anything else.

Presumably the full trilogy will be like 50 and each game will be 20-25, in sales they might eventually hit 10 eventually but they'll never hit anywhere near their current base prices.
I expect you're right. I'd be tempted to get GTA3 at 5-10 quid, just for the nostalgia (20 years - TWENTY!) but sod paying any more than that.

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on October 09, 2021, 01:04:21 PM
I think after vice city the maps got too big and baggy for their own good. Too much going on. It's just too much..
Conversely, the scale and variety of San Andreas' map are why I think it's the best one. From the air, you could see that it wasn't actually all that sprawling, but the landscape was cleverly designed to make it seem vast as you drive around.

peanutbutter

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 09, 2021, 03:42:44 PM
Actually, VR Missions was the budget release of the VR disc of Integral, which featured both the main game and the VR Missions content-- for people who didn't want to repurchase the entire game. Though you still missed out on bonus maingame content.
Integral was Japanese only release, VR Missions was the bonus disc repurposed as a budget independent release in the US but due to issues with multi language support was released as an expansion pack ("data disc") in PAL territories which required the original game.

My memory of Special Missons's box in shops at the time was that it was coated in warnings, "DO NOT BUY THIS UNLESS YOU ALREADY HAVE MGS!". Unsure if GTA London done the same cos I've no recollection of ever seeing it outside of 2 game bundles with GTA years later.

beanheadmcginty

If they re-released GTA1 do you think they'd have to remove the GOURANGA feature?

Steven88

I hope they stick Vice City and Liberty City stories in there as well.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

This will be paedo tier shit. I made the mistake of buying San Andreas "HD" on the 360, which was just a rushed port of the Android version, complete with bugs, missing music and audio problems (the dialogue frequently wouldn't play during cutscenes). Don't get your hopes up.

Thursday

Every single Grand Theft Auto game is a 7/10. No wonder it's the most popular franchise of all time.

Mister Six

If these were proper remakes on the new engine I'd give them a crack, but as mentioned above, it'll probably be 50 quid for three 20-ish year old games games with ropey controls and slightly tweaked textures and all the naff design choices they originally had. Fun for a nostalgic poke around, but ultimately not that interesting.

Would quite like to play Bully again, mind you.

mobias

Quote from: holdover on October 09, 2021, 10:11:01 AM

Vice City and San Andreas have some but not all of the original music. Some of the original licensing has long since lapsed.

Quote from: bgmnts on October 09, 2021, 12:44:55 PM
I dont want the smallest sliver of childhood memories that were pleasant to be shot behind a shed so I'm steering very fucking clear of these.

I don't know much about these remasters but it sounds like they're just very well polished 4K 60FPS ports. I don't think there will be much else added. They should be good fun, even just for dicking about with the cheat codes and being silly.