Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,400
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:08:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grand Theft Auto is back!!!

Started by Chollis, October 09, 2021, 04:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

Chollis

they'll all be on Unreal Engine 4, whereas I believe all previous ones have been on Rockstar's own RAGE engine. so it should feel quite different?

bgmnts

Quote from: mobias on October 10, 2021, 03:54:09 PM
Vice City and San Andreas have some but not all of the original music. Some of the original licensing has long since lapsed.

I don't know much about these remasters but it sounds like they're just very well polished 4K 60FPS ports. I don't think there will be much else added. They should be good fun, even just for dicking about with the cheat codes and being silly.

If it is literally the same exact game in the current engine or even just yeah upres graphics, i'd be happy. I'm just imagining all the radio stations being dlc and a tacked on online mode.

kngen

Vice City is probably the most fun I've ever had playing a video game. So yeah, I'll be one of the suckers ponying up for this. Will I be able to recreate the incalculable joy of riding a motorbike along South Beach, spraying sunbathers with an Uzi while listening to Slayer? Probably not, but it's worth a shot.

TheGingerAlien

I've absolutely hammered all of the GTA games from release - and Vice City still stands out as a high point. Do I really want to see it remastered though?   Fuck no.  Move forward Rockstar, FFS.

BeardFaceMan

Which was the one where you had to worry about your diet and go to the gym and shit (well, not actually to shit, that might have been interesting)? Yeah, that's what I want to play GTA for, to keep fit and look after myself.

Ham Bap

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 10, 2021, 08:04:49 PM
Which was the one where you had to worry about your diet and go to the gym and shit (well, not actually to shit, that might have been interesting)? Yeah, that's what I want to play GTA for, to keep fit and look after myself.

San Andreas.

I barely played that one compared to Vice City.

beanheadmcginty

Vice City was set in 1986 and released in 2002. If the same timeframe was applied now, it would be set in 2005.
Imagine anybody being hit by the waves of nostalgia we experienced with Vice City if they were playing a game set in 2005.
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe 20 year olds these days think of 2005 as a completely different era in the same way that we thought 1986 was in 2002. But I really can't imagine why they would. Hoxton Fins? Lack of iPhones?

bgmnts

Rockstar are cheeky little cunts mind aye.

Rev+

I'd be interested in a decent PC version of Vice City, because they didn't get that remotely right until San Andreas.   Then again, how much do I actually want to play it again, rather than giving it an hour just out of interest?  Absolutely hammered that one when it came out, and it's by far the shortest and thinnest of all of them.

Vice City will probably be less affected by music rights than San Andreas, I'd imagine, just because the latter featured some more niche stuff than you'd find on a Hits of the 80s CD down your local garage.  There's no way either of them will feature quite the same music, though.  GTA3 should be alright because it was mostly still that one dude pretending to be several artists, and half the Scarface soundtrack.

peanutbutter

Do the current versions of Vice City still have the loading screen in the middle?

Beagle 2

In my mind I've played through these quite recently, but it seems it was nearly ten years ago. I completed III again and really enjoyed it, it's nice and tight, but San Andreas was far too tedious and sprawling given how dated the gameplay felt. Vice City was my favourite of the lot and I didn't get very far because it looked dog egg compared to how I remembered it.

If these look nice and shiny and new and play well, I would probably spunk away money that should be used for basic amenities just for VC.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Sixty five quid!? Chuff right off!

Rev+

It's Psychonauts 2 all over again

Neomod

Will the graphics overhaul bring these in line with GTA 4/5?

If not then I'm not interested.

Obel

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 10, 2021, 09:04:55 PM
Vice City was set in 1986 and released in 2002. If the same timeframe was applied now, it would be set in 2005.
Imagine anybody being hit by the waves of nostalgia we experienced with Vice City if they were playing a game set in 2005.
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe 20 year olds these days think of 2005 as a completely different era in the same way that we thought 1986 was in 2002. But I really can't imagine why they would. Hoxton Fins? Lack of iPhones?

Jesus that post made me suicidal

JamesTC

This'll be shit I reckon.

Bet they won't even add swimming to Vice City.

Ham Bap

Quote from: Neomod on October 12, 2021, 09:16:25 AM
Will the graphics overhaul bring these in line with GTA 4/5?

If not then I'm not interested.

There hasnt been a single image released yet but I would imagine they will look the same, perhaps slightly better than some of the GTA mods from the past couple of years.
Better graphics, framerate than they were originally released in but nowhere near the quality of GTA 4/5.

I could be wrong and hope that I am but these are out in a couple of weeks and they havent shown a bean.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: peanutbutter on October 11, 2021, 11:06:37 AM
Do the current versions of Vice City still have the loading screen in the middle?

I believe so, they're still present on PC but last less than a second so you basically get flashbanged by a greeting card whenever you drive over a bridge.

Here's a modded version of GTA3 that looks pretty darned impressive. I assume that it's fairly simple to swap in appropriate car and NPC models from GTAs 4 and 5, but remodelling all the unique assets, like the buildings would be a much larger task (although Liberty City and Los Santos could also be lifted from 4 and 5, I suppose). It depends how much time (and money) they're willing to spend on it. If they leave the models as they are and just add better lighting, reflections and suchlike, it could still look decent, but for £65 I'd hope they were putting a bit more effort into it.

I hope they don't modernise it too much. It would be a shame if it lost the cartoonish, slightly janky charm of the originals, in favour of ragdoll physics and whatnot.

QDRPHNC

That does look pretty impressive. The fact that Rockstar have been aggressively shutting down these kinds of mods leading up to the release of the remastered trilogy gives me hope that the change will be this dramatic. It would a disappointment if the official remasters are less impressive than the the mods. Not that it would stop Rockstar making a lot of money regardless.

I can't help but feel that if Rockstar are going back to the well again, it would be nice to see something a bit more ambitious. Like, combining 3, VC and SA all onto one map, unlocking them in order, finally leaving you with the huge brilliant area to explore (I realize it would muck up the timeline for VC... but you could still get that neon Miami look without it being explicitly in the 80s).

Malcy

Quote from: JamesTC on October 12, 2021, 10:57:55 AM
This'll be shit I reckon.

Bet they won't even add swimming to Vice City.

Hopefully they do. I think VCS had it.

They still need to (yes, need to) do my idea of setting one in the late '60s/early '70s. There's Vietnam, Watergate, Woodstock, The Black Panthers, Hippies, Classic Rock, New Hollywood... It's just too perfect an era not to do.

JamesTC

Quote from: Malcy on October 12, 2021, 02:30:40 PM
Hopefully they do. I think VCS had it.

I replayed the first mission a few months back when testing a Raspberry Pi 4 and it is specifically set up to get you in water to show you that you can swim in this one.

bgmnts

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 12, 2021, 02:45:19 PM
They still need to (yes, need to) do my idea of setting one in the late '60s/early '70s. There's Vietnam, Watergate, Woodstock, The Black Panthers, Hippies, Classic Rock, New Hollywood... It's just too perfect an era not to do.

Mafia III basically?

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 12, 2021, 02:45:19 PM

I could see them doing it now that Once Upon a Time in Hollywood has provided a bit of a roadmap, no pun intended.

Quote from: bgmnts on October 12, 2021, 02:58:00 PM
Mafia III basically?
I've not seen that. They must have stolen the idea from me. Bloody mafiosos.

AsparagusTrevor

It's nice to dream but I would put money on these being the exact originals simply running at 4k 60fps and no other graphical enhancements. At the very most, the lighting might be a bit better, possibly the models might have their poly counts increased a bit, but we're not gonna see anything anywhere close to the nice PC mods.

Famous Mortimer

It's a fuck of a lot of money to re-buy essentially the same things, then. I don't think I could go back to Vice City after spending so much time running around the lovely graphics of Los Santos.