Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:14:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Documental (Japanese Comedy Show)

Started by fit bird, October 11, 2021, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swoz_MK

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 10, 2021, 11:56:22 PM
And you miss killer lines like,
Spoiler alert
Remember throwable dumplings?
[close]

My wife's favourite thing in all 7 seasons.

Lost Oliver

You beautiful, wonderful person. Thank you so much! x

MojoJojo

Quote from: Ja'moke on October 30, 2021, 11:31:53 PM
From what I can gather from the show, they think Matsumoto is too soft on him. So maybe he's perceived as a production pet, kind of like how on how Big Brother it would be obvious who the production favourites were and the fans often ended up rebelling against them. It seems like a lot of Japanese viewers take the competition aspect of it really seriously.

Couple of episodes into season 2, and I think if you were into it as a competition it would be incredibly frustrating. Matsumoto has to judge in a way that makes a programme, so it's icnredibly lax and the start. Half of them would be out by the start.

I also think Anthony in season 1 was very harshly judged, but this tied up with my prejudices about Japanese people all being incredibly racist so...

amateur

Quote from: MojoJojo on November 11, 2021, 10:06:36 AM
Couple of episodes into season 2, and I think if you were into it as a competition it would be incredibly frustrating. Matsumoto has to judge in a way that makes a programme, so it's icnredibly lax and the start. Half of them would be out by the start.

I agree, but as I saw it, it the rule was "don't laugh". Then that gets expanded to "smirking, etc". So from the original premise it's stretched to make it a TV progrmame. I actually think a bit of wiggle room improves the show no end.

Question for the thread - I want to show a pal an episode to get them into it. Have explained the premise and they're into it. I'm thinking season two or three, but I don't want to go straight into
Spoiler alert
curry in foreskin
[close]
and it's all melded together in my mind. Any recommendations?

Swoz_MK

Maybe the penultimate episode of S2?
Spoiler alert
Some good eliminations but maybe too late into the series as they'll know who the final two are by the time that comes around?
[close]

Edit - Maybe -

amateur

Very hard to argue against any episode with Daisuke and Jimmy.

Swoz_MK

Its my own fault for following
Spoiler alert
Kubota
[close]
on twitter but they retweeted the S10 lineup this morning. Really wish I hadn't seen that as we've not watched
Spoiler alert
8 & 9 yet, the spoiler tag for that will become apparent
[close]
. But I'm also over the fucking moon.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: amateur on November 11, 2021, 10:23:46 AMQuestion for the thread - I want to show a pal an episode to get them into it. Have explained the premise and they're into it. I'm thinking season two or three, but I don't want to go straight into
Spoiler alert
curry in foreskin
[close]
and it's all melded together in my mind. Any recommendations?

I would be very reticent to lead someone to first watching some of the more extreme moments from later seasons. Part of the charm of the first season is a certain level of innocence that starts breaking down gradually thanks to Daisuke and Fukimon. Also, learning about Jimmy is incredibly joyful. Jumping ahead to
Spoiler alert
season 6
[close]
Jimmy trying to
Spoiler alert
escape from those well-organised women
[close]
wouldn't provide the build-up. I would also say that embedding yourself in the disorientating pleasure of Japanese comedy culture is also quite important to this show, as are some of the more directionless ambling/unfunny/awkward moments. In other words, maybe lead them to the end of the first episode and then the second. The first episode really does have a lot of preamble partially because of Matsumoto's reputation - and his musings on the show just aren't that interesting without context.

For those who have watched the first episode of season 8b: Matsumoto does spend a little bit of time talking about Season 8a and the fact that Amazon were not happy with the level of depravity. I have seen some clips (from the documentary) with some extra context given to me from a Japanese friend and I can confirm as was alluded to above that the level of penis play, touching, interaction etc is incredibly over the top.

From Amazon: " ... due to the actions by the comedian contestants and Toro Salmon Kubota in particular, the result ended up in a form that was not appropriate for family viewing." I don't know if this was incorrectly translated but I'm not sure which content in the previous seven seasons was considered 'family viewing.'

Hopefully Thanos will move onto that after he is done with season 8 & 9. Although by that point season 10 will have kicked off!

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Swoz_MK on November 12, 2021, 09:53:26 AMIts my own fault for following
Spoiler alert
Kubota
[close]
on twitter but they retweeted the S10 lineup this morning. Really wish I hadn't seen that as we've not watched
Spoiler alert
8 & 9 yet, the spoiler tag for that will become apparent
[close]
. But I'm also over the fucking moon.

No surprises for me as I am an impatient fucker but it is so nice to see this taking shape. The most excited I am apart from
Spoiler alert
Kubota
[close]
is to see the winner of season 6
Spoiler alert
(Yuriyan, one of my favourite players)
[close]
. Hopefully we will get some more
Spoiler alert
child sumo
[close]

The only issue with this format is that by definition it will exclude people like
Spoiler alert
Fujimon, Jimmy and Goto
[close]
who are serial laughers, but also fan favourites. But that line-up looks to be fantastic.

Ja'moke

There looks to be only six contestants in the champions edition?

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 12, 2021, 11:06:16 AMThere looks to be only six contestants in the champions edition?

Yes, for reasons that are a bit spoilery. The japanese chatter on the youtube videos has been roughly translated by a friend and many are noting that it is a wasted opportunity and that those four places could have been filled by regulars / fan favourites. Others have responded noting that Matsumoto has some big plans for season 10 and there is no way that
Spoiler alert
Jimmy, Fujimon and probably Goto and Daisuke, won't feature somehow.
[close]

Ja'moke

I was hoping to see the winner of Joshimental 1 on there.

C_Larence

Thanks for recommending this, would never have heard about it otherwise. Currently halfway through Season 2.
Spoiler alert
Daisuke
[close]
's red card is so funny. I think those are the moments I like the most, where it's only funny to the person laughing. Not a huge fan of the more puerile stuff i.e
Spoiler alert
someone licking the hoover after it had just sucked up jimmy's balls
[close]
although I loved
Spoiler alert
analympics
[close]
. Also the jabs towards Anthony in Series 1 just made me feel bad for him.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 12, 2021, 03:01:57 PM
I was hoping to see the winner of Joshimental 1 on there.

Hehe - well me too. She does show up as a
Spoiler alert
commentator for Ikemental
[close]
so there is a chance that she has entered Matsumoto's inner-circle. If so, she is a cert to appear in season 10.

C_Larence

Incredible move from
Spoiler alert
Kotōge
[close]
in S2E4.
Spoiler alert
After three people returned from the changing room in quick succession with silly costumes to no avail, he leaves and comes back a minute later with no gimmick, forcing Himura to laugh. Should have been a second yellow
[close]

amateur

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on November 09, 2021, 02:21:06 PMSeason 5, like season 3, seems like a downshift in gear compared to season 4 which is rightly considered one of the best. But like season 3, it creeps up on you. It also features what I consider to be easily the most revolting and almost unwatchable scenes in the series, including the Batsu games.
Spoiler alert
Foot licking.
[close]

Just finished season 5 episode three and glad I got back into it. So many highlights, but once again it's the innocuous moments that I find the funniest.

Spoiler alert
Absolutely howling at the "gentle penis" line. He was smiling so happily!
[close]

What a brilliant, ridiculous show.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on November 21, 2021, 02:14:01 PMS08E02 subbed. Enjoy!

Bit of a slower more methodical start to Season 8. There is no instant Jimmy-style insanity.

Jerzy Bondov

Still on season 3. The zombies coming in is fucking all time good shit. What a brilliant way to mix it up.

ProvanFan

I meant to thank you all weeks go for this thread. Thank you!

I'm on series 7 and Kato's efforts are  doing it for me. Also good to see
Spoiler alert
Hollywood crack at the Kim Jong-nam bit
[close]

Minami Minegishi

One for for the Xmas list:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GakiNoTsukai/comments/qxwwf9/when_i_realized_kukki_figures_existed_i_knew_i/

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 22, 2021, 07:53:44 PMBit of a slower more methodical start to Season 8. There is no instant Jimmy-style insanity.

Yeah, it's definitely quite low-key without Jimmy, but
Spoiler alert
Kukky
[close]
makes up for it and Matsumoto has explicitly stated that he won't have both together in the same season.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on November 22, 2021, 10:05:48 PMOne for for the Xmas list:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GakiNoTsukai/comments/qxwwf9/when_i_realized_kukki_figures_existed_i_knew_i/

Yeah, it's definitely quite low-key without Jimmy, but
Spoiler alert
Kukky
[close]
makes up for it and Matsumoto has explicitly stated that he won't have both together in the same season.

They were both in season one together though, right?

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 22, 2021, 10:52:20 PMThey were both in season one together though, right?

Yes, and I think it is maybe the start of season 6 where Matsumoto notes that it would be a bad idea to have them together in the same season. I'm not sure why - too much insanity maybe.

Jerzy Bondov

If i was in there I would laugh very easily at the voice that goes ZOMMMBIE TIMMMMEEE

amateur

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 23, 2021, 08:15:09 PMIf i was in there I would laugh very easily at the voice that goes ZOMMMBIE TIMMMMEEE

It's a heck of a jingle. Good for an entrance at work imo

ProvanFan

Where do Joshimental and Ikemental come in the chronology?

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: ProvanFan on November 23, 2021, 08:59:47 PMWhere do Joshimental and Ikemental come in the chronology?

Good question. The issue here is that both were not made for Amazon and were embedded into a series called MaChannel by Matsumoto where he experimented with different game ideas. That also explains the lack of prize money and shorter runtime. However, it looks to me that they filmed both shows after season 9 in 2020. It is going to be a while before that gets subbed so I would simply just enjoy the subbed Joshimental episode.

Ja'moke

I wonder if the success of Joshimental means that Amazon would commission a full Joshimental season.

amateur

Finished season five and really loved it by the end. The props mentioned above were all time classics and I thought the ending was superb

Season six! Yes!

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 24, 2021, 01:09:29 PMI wonder if the success of Joshimental means that Amazon would commission a full Joshimental season.

There is already a second, and a planned third in the new year. To me that's a shame, as it clearly deserves its own season. However, the producers want to keep the main show focused on comedians, with all of their references to other comedians. Sometimes that is baffling and I have spent many hours on google and talking to Japanese friends trying to work out what is going on, often to be met with the reply 'nothing, it doesn't make sense. It's just stupid.' Which is why I love the show so much. But the non-comedian male version Ikemental is made in the same way, which means they need to get more female comedians in. For me, the strongest season is 6 and that has almost half female comedians.

In the past I hit up friends to get a sense of who each comedian is in terms of their cultural presence, by asking for British or American comparisons. I can't think of many British comedians who would do many of the things in this show, which means it is almost impossible to compare. So far, Jimmy is most like Johnny Vegas, Fujimon a kind of Jack Dee/Frank Skinner type, Koyabu's persona and comedy is apparently very close to Simon Amstell. I'll dig out my emails for more - it's been a while.