Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:31:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Documental (Japanese Comedy Show)

Started by fit bird, October 11, 2021, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: bgmnts on July 16, 2023, 12:54:52 PMYeah I have noticed that the comedy scene/industry seems to be geared towards double acts, which feels like a throwback and is quite funny.

One thing I've found very interesting is that in 4 and a half seasons, not one person has farted. Honestly can't think think of anything more powerful in this game than a well timed fart.

Ok well that'll change soon, spoiler alert etc.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Replies From View on July 16, 2023, 12:55:34 PMWho is Thanos?  The https://chikichiki.tube/documental/ link doesn't have season 11 yet.

A new kid on the subbing block who has been doing some recent subs work. Scroll down for S11E01:

https://www.reddit.com/user/Thanos-no-Tsukai/

bgmnts

Series 4 was a treat! Flew by compared to the other series.

5 started out brilliant with Jimmy being a treasure and getting caught out by an egg that he thought was in a weighing scales, but this Hollywood cunt is making it unwatchable almost.

Edit - although credit where its due, his harmonica timing was perfect.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: bgmnts on July 17, 2023, 01:27:17 PMSeries 4 was a treat! Flew by compared to the other series.

Definitely one of my favourites. Aso the one I have most rewatched.

Quote5 started out brilliant with Jimmy being a treasure and getting caught out by an egg that he thought was in a weighing scales, but this Hollywood cunt is making it unwatchable almost.

So, one of the most troublesome aspects of this show, and perhaps Japanese comedy in general, is a tendency towards lazy screaming/shouting as a way to get a laugh. I call it the Phil Jupitus Paradox. I think I can speak for most Documental fans, and posters on this thread, when I say that the immediate response to Hollywood is irritation. This can last a long time, but there are a LOT of people who eventually get won around to his brand of surreal humour, and his seeming ability to withstand all sorts of attacks without crumbling. He is kind of a machine at withstanding some of the strongest moments in the entire show.

It might help to know that he doesn't come from a comedy background, but more from Japanese experimental peformance art. So a lot of what he does is from that tradition. When he starts showing some of his pre-made videos this will become clearer.

I hated him at first, and Mrs Minegishi almost had to stop watching. But by the end of season 5 I started to like him a lot.

bgmnts

I can see him growing, as long as he keeps his screaming to a minimum it's fine.

"What a well behaved penis." is an amazing sentence mind.

Swoz_MK

Quote from: bgmnts on July 17, 2023, 01:27:17 PMJimmy being a treasure and getting caught out by an egg that he thought was in a weighing scales

"I thought it was a light egg"

bgmnts

Quote from: Swoz_MK on July 17, 2023, 04:22:03 PM"I thought it was a light egg"

It was an amazing bit. Jimmy seems like he's from another planet.

Also fairplay to Hollywood, it was a Herculean effort to resist zombie gauntlet at the end - a worthy winner.

I did think towards the end perhaps it relied too much on nudity but it's great they go to those lengths. Imagine British comedians getting in a room and wanking each other off and plopping their balls out on a table.

Replies From View

An English version would be unbearable, I think.  Largely the Avalon bunch, with people like Noel Fielding thrown into the mix. 

I hope this isn't racist of me:  one thing I like about Documental is I can't tell whether its contestants are being smug.

amateur

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on July 17, 2023, 01:57:59 PMI think I can speak for most Documental fans, and posters on this thread, when I say that the immediate response to Hollywood is irritation. This can last a long time, but there are a LOT of people who eventually get won around to his brand of surreal humour, and his seeming ability to withstand all sorts of attacks without crumbling. He is kind of a machine at withstanding some of the strongest moments in the entire show.

It might help to know that he doesn't come from a comedy background, but more from Japanese experimental peformance art. So a lot of what he does is from that tradition. When he starts showing some of his pre-made videos this will become clearer.

I hated him at first, and Mrs Minegishi almost had to stop watching. But by the end of season 5 I started to like him a lot.

I don't really remember the shouting aspect of Hollywood any more - it's the bizarre performance art that sticks with me. I think he's one of the best contestants they've ever had.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: amateur on July 17, 2023, 09:55:38 PMI don't really remember the shouting aspect of Hollywood any more - it's the bizarre performance art that sticks with me. I think he's one of the best contestants they've ever had.

He takes the formal 'exaggeration impression' thing that is very mainstream and parodies it with a hyper-exaggerated version that can just seem like screaming. Especially as often the impression is not something we are familiar with. But on rewatch I just found him compelling and incredibly entertaining.

hermitical

Glory be...

Only started watching this last week and we started season 4 last night. My wife usually isn't into comedy, certainly nowhere near as much as I enjoy it, but she is joining me in huge belly laughs, tears of joy. Just incredible stuff.

Anyone know of a reliable source for a Kukky style "sorry about the fuss" hoodie?

Ja'moke

I see that all of Season 11 has been subbed and uploaded now. How is it? Worth a watch? It's all non-comedians, right?

amateur

Some really great moments in episode 2, so I'm excited for the rest. Go for it!

madhair60

sorry for the bump but I've come back to this. can anyone recommend a site which has the episodes to stream? I've lost the old one and the one I found seems to be down.

Ja'moke

Quote from: madhair60 on November 03, 2023, 11:15:01 PMsorry for the bump but I've come back to this. can anyone recommend a site which has the episodes to stream? I've lost the old one and the one I found seems to be down.

I'll pm you.

I've recently been rewatching past series, and I've seen the first two of Season 12. I'm glad they added a couple of comedians this time, because Season 11 didn't work for me.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 03, 2023, 11:41:16 PMI'll pm you.

I've recently been rewatching past series, and I've seen the first two of Season 12. I'm glad they added a couple of comedians this time, because Season 11 didn't work for me.

Yeah, season 11 was a misfire so I'm surprised they have somewhat continued with non-comedians this series.

It might be the last time we see beautiful Fujimon. He was involved in a hit-and-run and is in a spot of bother.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on November 06, 2023, 12:41:49 PMYeah, season 11 was a misfire so I'm surprised they have somewhat continued with non-comedians this series.

It might be the last time we see beautiful Fujimon. He was involved in a hit-and-run and is in a spot of bother.

Oh no.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 06, 2023, 01:10:58 PMOh no.

Matsu-chan has been joking about it, but from what I can tell, he's a bit of a drinker, so avoided the breath test.

Japanese comedy is strangely forgiving of indiscretions, so he might teflon this one out.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on November 06, 2023, 02:55:41 PMMatsu-chan has been joking about it, but from what I can tell, he's a bit of a drinker, so avoided the breath test.

Japanese comedy is strangely forgiving of indiscretions, so he might teflon this one out.

I've just been reading about it. It seems it was a car collision hit-and-run (and no one was hurt). Still awful, obviously, but when you first said hit-and-run, I thought he'd run someone over and killed them!

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 06, 2023, 04:31:00 PMI've just been reading about it. It seems it was a car collision hit-and-run (and no one was hurt). Still awful, obviously, but when you first said hit-and-run, I thought he'd run someone over and killed them!

Ha! I probs should have been clearer.

I suspect that bad driving jokes will be a strong feature of s13 if he's involved.

Mrgeebus

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 03, 2023, 11:41:16 PMI'll pm you.

If you're willing to share, I'd also take a PM as I notice the site I used no longer has Documental available.

ProvanFan

lazyhour

Quote from: Replies From View on July 17, 2023, 09:33:36 PMAn English version would be unbearable, I think.  Largely the Avalon bunch, with people like Noel Fielding thrown into the mix. 

All your Christmases have come at once! A licensed British version is coming to Amazon Prime, hosted by Graham Nortom. It's called Last One Laughing (or LOL for short) and I'm sure it'll be exactly as funny as you imagine. Or it might be better.

Edit: intriguingly, it's actually an Irish show - 'LOL: Last One Laughing Ireland'. From the tiny clip I saw, it looks like many of the comedians are British. I may be mistaken. There's also been a Mexican version.

letsgobrian

Quote from: lazyhour on January 14, 2024, 10:47:21 PMAll your Christmases have come at once! A licensed British version is coming to Amazon Prime, hosted by Graham Nortom. It's called Last One Laughing (or LOL for short) and I'm sure it'll be exactly as funny as you imagine. Or it might be better.

Isn't that the Irish version?

lazyhour

sadman2705

Don't usually post here, but this is a small thanks to those on this thread for recommending this series. I was looking for a new programme to watch and, as well as being brilliant itself, Documental opened up the world of Downtown and Gaki no Tsukai to me.

There's a channel on Twitch called father_jimmy_ which shows 24-hour rolling footage of the last 30 years of Gaki no Tsukai / Downtown shows, including the Batsu games. I stick it on in the background  most days when I'm working. Can't recommend it enough.

Anyway, we may have seen the last of Documental as Matsumoto himself has recently withdrawn from all shows to fight sexual assault claims: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2024/01/09/entertainment-news/comedian-hitoshi-matsumoto-sexual-assault/

Swoz_MK

Quote from: sadman2705 on January 16, 2024, 08:50:43 AMThere's a channel on Twitch called father_jimmy_ which shows 24-hour rolling footage of the last 30 years of Gaki no Tsukai / Downtown shows, including the Batsu games. I stick it on in the background  most days when I'm working. Can't recommend it enough.

Oh this has just improved this night shift, thank you!

Swoz_MK

LOL: Ireland was ok, about the same rate and level of laughs as Canada but not quite as good as Australia. And obviously doesn't even come close to Documental.

Some big, unforgivable spoilers in episode thumbnails and "next time" trails though.