Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:48:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Underrated albums

Started by Bigfella, October 15, 2021, 01:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordMorgan

I absolutely adore "holes in the wall", the debut album from Electric Soft Parade.

Really accomplished album stuffed with great tunes. I always file it next to supergrass'in it for the money, it also has a bit of a boos vibe.

I could not wait for the follow up to come out, except it was a meandering ponderous pile of pish.

Haven't really checked out any of their other records after that crushing disappointment

The Mollusk

Would it be fair to say "Mutations" by Beck is underrated? I never see it mentioned anywhere but it's a really cracking collection of stuff that sits between the quirky blues of the stuff that preceded it and "Sea Change" which was still to come. I used to think all the songs didn't really fit together but I've since come around to enjoying it a lot.

Glebe

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 04, 2022, 04:24:48 PMWould it be fair to say "Mutations" by Beck is underrated? I never see it mentioned anywhere but it's a really cracking collection of stuff that sits between the quirky blues of the stuff that preceded it and "Sea Change" which was still to come. I used to think all the songs didn't really fit together but I've since come around to enjoying it a lot.

Yeah that is indeed a cracking collection of songs.

Dirty Boy

Yeah, Mutations has always been my favourite in a hazy and depressed kind of way (although Diamond Bollocks breaks the mood somewhat, sounding like it's escaped from Odelay). It's certainly miles better than Sea Change which got great reviews, but is actually really boring and ordinary.

Quote from: shlug on January 03, 2022, 09:41:43 PMFugazi's End Hits is incredibly underrated in that it's considered (or at least on RYM) their worst album although that's probably a testament to the quality of their output.

I'm more partial to their more experimental stuff from Red Medicine on rather than Repeater so perhaps I'm biased.
End Hits has a few of my favourite Fugazi songs, but i've always found it dissolves into some quite ropey and/or aimless stuff towards the back half. The experimental side is certainly better served on Red Medicine  which strangely puts all the punky guitar stuff at the end.

I'd posit The Argument is the real underrated one, or at least the one no one seems to mention, apart from me, twice on here, in the last couple of weeks.

Most overrated: Steady Diet Of Nothing.

Video Game Fan 2000

I feel like End Hits has some of Fugazi's best and most daring arrangements and interplay, they really push themselves out to sea, but they dropped the ball with the songs. They're obviously at the end of the tether with 'punk' songs, Guy in particular sounds totally done with it: his one direct protest song goes YAWN YAWN YAWN in the chorus. It's a more extreme version of Killtaker in that way, which had daring instrumental stuff but some clunkers which really stuck out. Agree that Red Medicine is the perfect balance and The Argument is great. At least partly because Guy's back on form throughout.