Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,481
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:03:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Curb Season 11

Started by Mobbd, October 22, 2021, 01:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Better Midlands on December 11, 2021, 01:18:49 PMIt's shocking, I was almost an adult when Seinfeld started in the UK.

This guy gets it.

You don't get to be a child and then suddenly an adult.  Choose which one and stick with it.

Mobius

I thought the most recent episode was fantastic. Easily my favourite of the season

Mr Faineant

Quote from: Replies From View on December 11, 2021, 12:39:22 PMWatching the scene, I felt Lewis' own reaction seemed to be along the same lines.

That was the first time I'd seen him lost for words on curb..."don't hex my, my...". Not sure if he is just getting slow with age, which is to be expected, or if he didn't like the comment very much. The glee with which Larry said it, though, is delightful. I love when you can see them genuinely enjoying themselves.

the science eel

You can tell when LD is genuinely laughing because his bottom jaw loosens and his mouth opens wide. You see it with Leon especially.

Replies From View

He has an annoying laugh as well though, which I think is a fake one where he mechanically opens and closes his mouth - almost a chattering action - while making a laughing sound.

A few people do it and it perplexes me because it is quite awful.  Noel Fielding is another one who does it.

EggsLikeABird

He's a laughing skeleton

wrec

The latest episode didn't do much for me though I liked the
Spoiler alert
house husband bit. Even with that though, the setup with Leon talking to the plumber followed on immediately from him saying Larry was "out of his lane" so it initially seemed like it's be a continuation of that, but the  earlier bit went nowhere.
[close]
Really not into the Tracy Ullman plot.

mr. logic

It did go somewhere though. Later in the episode Larry was able to get a favour from another Jewish person.

the science eel

That was a poor fuckin show, wasn't it?

Ja'moke

I really liked it, especially it dawning on Larry that Leon doesn't know what the fuck he's doing.

wrec

Quote from: mr. logic on December 13, 2021, 08:02:23 PMIt did go somewhere though. Later in the episode Larry was able to get a favour from another Jewish person.

Oh yeah, forgot about that

Mobbd

Quote from: wrec on December 13, 2021, 07:29:07 PMReally not into the Tracy Ullman plot.

Nah, she's a fucking class act.

dr beat

I really enjoyed that, particularly Larry being observed on the in-house CCTV and
Spoiler alert
everything in everyone's houses going wrong
[close]

Mobius

Yeah I think Tracey Ullman's character has been great, love her and Larry together.

I dunno that episode just worked brilliantly for me, found every storyline funny and it all came together nicely. Not sure why I didn't get on with the previous weeks so much but I'm sure a rewatch will fix that.

Mobbd

Quote from: Mobius on December 14, 2021, 12:13:07 AMYeah I think Tracey Ullman's character has been great, love her and Larry together.

I dunno that episode just worked brilliantly for me, found every storyline funny and it all came together nicely. Not sure why I didn't get on with the previous weeks so much but I'm sure a rewatch will fix that.

You're right, ep 7 was a low point even though Ullman was so stand-out enjoyably weird but we're back on the horse now thankfully. So many great moments in this one. I wonder if
Spoiler alert
Susie is going to take Jeff to the cleaners now
[close]
?

Mobius

I feel like she's caught him before? The knickers in the car, the real estate woman. Or perhaps he managed to just about talk his way out in the past. She's said before if they ever divorce, she'll fucking destroy him.

Feel like that Larry lookalike from last week must return now that Larry specifically mentioned they're recasting Young Larry now.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

the science eel

She is, she's a wonderful actress. I like the name too - Irma Kostrowski. Sounds like something from an old MAD

I just thought that last one was a bit crap - preferred episode 7. That and 3 are my faves so far

up_the_hampipe

Tracey Ullman is a great performer but that character is so tough to watch. I feel the same way about Maria Sofia. They're just repellent, but very good at it.

Angst in my Pants

That little sequence where
Spoiler alert
everything went wrong was hilarious. I love how they staggered the 3 shelves dropping so that pretty much everything on them was ruined and smashed loudly.
[close]

I mostly enjoyed the first half of this season (aside from the Klansman episode), but the quality's really dropped now. The last couple of episodes have been among the very worst. The latest one was a real drag.

Even Leon's House Husband thing didn't make sense to me. At first I thought he was being used to bully or trick the tradespeople in to lowering their prices - which would've been funny - but instructing them how to do their job just seemed stupid, and the payoff was predictable.

And put me down as someone who can't stand Ullman's character. The scenes with her seem to have replaced the fun ones we were getting with Larry, Jeff, Suzie and Not Vince Vaughn earlier in the season.

As an aside, it's mad that there have now been more seasons of Curb with Leon as there were without. In my head he's a recent addition.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on December 16, 2021, 02:09:26 PMJeff cancelled: https://metro.co.uk/2021/12/16/jeff-garlin-exits-the-goldbergs-following-hr-investigation-15779861/amp/

I'm astonished to discover that Jeff is an actual actor who stars in other TV shows. Genuinely assumed he was just a mate of Larry in real life.

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on December 17, 2021, 10:41:53 AMI'm astonished to discover that Jeff is an actual actor who stars in other TV shows. Genuinely assumed he was just a mate of Larry in real life.

Ha! I've only ever seen him in Curb and Arrested Development. I can't imagine him playing anyone but Jeff or a Jeff-like character (as he does in Arrested Development).

There's a separate thread now: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=91592.0

Waking Life

The quality isn't as good this season, although has been below par for the last few from memory. However, I still really enjoy the broad, slapstick Curb, so more episodes just feel like a bonus at this stage of the game. It's interesting reflecting back, as I got into the show around Season 3 and I really struggled with the first couple of seasons initially, particularly coming off the back of Seinfeld's broad final seasons. The more 'serious' vibe meant that the secondary characters were more irritating / unreasonable, than comedic. Binge watching didn't work either as it was too much of Larry being angry - they've definitely mellowed him out as it's become (even) more slapstick. Leon helped that transition a lot with hindsight and perhaps less focus on his dynamic with Cheryl.

That said, I probably need to do a rewatch at some point. The plotting in the earlier seasons was definitely a lot stronger and the ideas sustained an episode, which hasn't been the case for some time.

What's everyone's favourite Curb musical cue? I miss the Susie spaghetti western motif, but perhaps they'd done that to death. I always enjoy the 15—note, slightly jaunty, low-key brass number (might be a Tuba?) that links some scenes. To the point, I now hum along with it (fortunately I usually watch it alone, as I'm sure would be irritating to others).

Noodle Lizard

Is this another 10 episode season? Can't imagine how they're planning on satisfyingly wrapping it up in the last two episodes, but I've come this far.

olliebean

Of course she has a
Spoiler alert
CPAP machine.
[close]

Replies From View

BeardFaceMan

Tracey Ullman is very good. That's all, really.

olliebean