Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:16:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Curb Season 11

Started by Mobbd, October 22, 2021, 01:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thugler

Quote from: olliebean on December 20, 2021, 06:17:00 PMAh, yes. Enjoyed the Rochelle Rochelle reference too.

Yes, loved this.

Ep 8 was another good one. Ullman has been a treat, you can tell how much she's enjoying being awful.

up_the_hampipe

Mr Faineant

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 21, 2021, 12:50:20 AMBill Hader is ace.

He's great isn't he? I really like that guy. I was very pleased to see him show up in this.

aunt mildred

Yeah, Hader is brill. I really hope he ends up as a regular member of the cast going forward. They could have him turning up as a different brother in a different place every week.

Ja'moke

Ah I really didn't like the Bill Hader stuff, and I usually enjoy Hader. But this kind of felt like something from a different show entirely.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on December 20, 2021, 05:16:32 PMTracey Ullman is very good. That's all, really.

Yeah, she's been great!
Took me a while to realise it was her, and when I did, I blurted "Oh, shit. It's Uma Thurman!"

jobotic

Quote from: Ja'moke on December 21, 2021, 03:35:38 AMAh I really didn't like the Bill Hader stuff, and I usually enjoy Hader. But this kind of felt like something from a different show entirely.

yeah I like him and although I quite liked his bits it did feel like a sketch bunged in the middle of the show

Mobius

Definitely felt a bit SNL, bit caricature, but Hader is a likeable guy and the last few episodes have been good, so I just entry along with it.

Replies From View

I thought it was brilliantly ridiculous and even suspected he might be revealed as the same character disguising himself from place to place for reasons undisclosed.

jobotic

Actually I would have liked to have seen the pet shop.

Replies From View

Me too.  Even just a glimpse through the window at his silly face would have been fun.

tribalfusion

The show has continued its descent from earlier seasons as far as I am concerned.

The humor is more predictable and broad than ever. It's interesting that David, who used to feature prominently in ads for the US left publication The Nation, has never really attempted a more thorough going critique in all these years. If anything, he seems to have gone in the opposite direction.

I also have to add that the choice of Vince Vaughn as Freddy Funkhouser is truly mystifying (and not just because he was a prominent Ron Paul supporter). Vaughn couldn't be more ill-suited for the part in virtually every way.

dr beat

It feels like this could be moving toward a fairly obvious final episode, something like Larry pressuring Irma to persuade her fellow council members to vote to repeal the pool law. I'd like to see it go somewhere a bit more unexpected.

Malcy

There's a Bob Einstein documentary coming out on the 28th. Features Curb cast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGLnjx5b3vQ

Replies From View

Quote from: dr beat on December 21, 2021, 06:32:23 PMIt feels like this could be moving toward a fairly obvious final episode, something like Larry pressuring Irma to persuade her fellow council members to vote to repeal the pool law. I'd like to see it go somewhere a bit more unexpected.

Why would they just repeat the events of episode 9?

bobloblaw

Anyone else finding the Ullmann storyline a little ... misogynistic? Even by (character) Larry's dinosaur attitudes it's close to the bone how revolting he finds it to have sex with her

Hmmm, I think it's OK. It's supposed to be a cartoony, exaggeratedly grotesque character. You have to suspend your disbelief and go along with it.

Replies From View

Quote from: bobloblaw on December 22, 2021, 11:09:27 AMCallback to Seinfeld's Dolores? I did wonder

I just assumed it's how Americans speak.

Replies From View

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on December 22, 2021, 11:19:13 AMHmmm, I think it's OK. It's supposed to be a cartoony, exaggeratedly grotesque character. You have to suspend your disbelief and go along with it.

Yeah, she's cartoonish and I don't consider it misogynistic so much as an indication of Larry's particular version of selfishness that he'll have sex with someone he is so repulsed by - playing with their emotions because they actually like him - in order to sort out a problem elsewhere in his life.

It all points at Larry's morality being skewed, really. What's harder to understand is Suzie being so uncritical of it.  (Maybe that's why there might be an uncomfortable vibe to it - it's the overarching voice of the show to perceive it as okay.)

Blue Jam

Who else winced at

Spoiler alert
"like a melted cave"
[close]

?

Replies From View

Mobbd

Quote from: bobloblaw on December 22, 2021, 11:11:48 AMAnyone else finding the Ullmann storyline a little ... misogynistic? Even by (character) Larry's dinosaur attitudes it's close to the bone how revolting he finds it to have sex with her

Not really. She's inherently repulsive. It's not that she's "unwomanly". If she were a man she'd still be revolting. Slobbiness and officiousness and the likes are universally gross traits.

the science eel

Yeah, she's just a pain in the arse specimen.

BritishHobo

Really struggling with this season. Which is odd, as I'd really loved the last few seasons, especially the Lin Manuel Miranda/fatwa season, and I know they weren't hugely liked on here. This season has just been totally laugh-free for me, it's doing nothing. The whole set-up of Larry trying to get a TV show made and clashing with the actors feels very done - how can you top the Seinfeld season? - and all seems a bit half-baked. Larry, Jeff and Vince Vaughan at the golf club is a pale imitation of earlier seasons with the 'gang', including Richard and Marty, and even the stuff between Larry and Leon feels like it's lost a spark somewhere along the way. Like going through the motions.

Add in the aforementioned weird stuff, like the 'you were sexually assaulted by a hot older lady? Legend!' shit, and this bizarre thing with Tracey Ullman, and it's all just leaving me cold.

Replies From View

I'm not comparing it with the Seinfeld season at all.  There's no overlap.

BritishHobo

I don't want to, but I'm finding it hard not to. It just feels like the same thing as that, or George and Jerry pitching the 'Jerry' sitcom in Seinfeld, but without the same focus.

Yeah, it's running on fumes a bit, but it's still a good enough time.

Replies From View

Arguably the show has been running on fumes since Larry and Cheryl parted.  Season 7 had the Seinfeld arc keeping it afloat, and the sense that Larry and Cheryl might get back together, but season 8 onwards have felt a little bit like The Office without Michael Scott, somehow.

But there are enough solid episodes and moments here and there that will keep me watching until it officially ends.  Even the terrible episode with the KKK robe hasn't fully pushed me away, and I'm somehow overlooking the show's tendency to feel out of touch in its many ways.

Replies From View

I wonder what elements are keeping me watching.  It might boil down to specific familiar interactions and dynamics rather than potential new scenarios, such as Larry, Jeff + Suzie, Larry + Leon, Larry + Richard and Larry + Ted.  I think that as long as most of these are still in place, regardless of the situations the characters get themselves in the show will continue to be entertaining.