Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:26:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Only Fools and Blu-Rays

Started by JamesTC, November 04, 2021, 06:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTC

The 5 specials from the 80s out on Blu-Ray at the end of November.

The previous editions were cut to ribbons, so I'm not averse to this. Seems to include the broadcast version of A Royal Flush and The Jolly Boys' Outing which have been hard to get hold of.

Reportedly, it restores the scene where Trigger bursts a puppy with his cock and Rodney finds the body of a dead child in a burnt out car for the first time since it originally aired.

Malcy

Tempting but would it just be the parts shot on film that have been remastered and studio set scenes will be upscaled?

JamesTC

Quote from: Malcy on November 04, 2021, 06:33:47 PM
Tempting but would it just be the parts shot on film that have been remastered and studio set scenes will be upscaled?

To Hull and Back was all film IIRC. The others will be a mix.

Magnum Valentino

It's not as jarring as you'd think, either. They did it with the Flying Circus Blu-rays and the film stuff looks incredible. Because high definition video/tape footage doesn't exist, when it comes on in SD it doesn't feel like you've been cheated.

damien

Two versions of A Royal Flush too.

Glebe

Full series Blu-rays now please (although they'd largely be upscales of course).

toetoe

If it's one OFAH episode i never ever ever wanted 15 more minutes of, it has to be Royal Flush.

What could possibly have been taken out to make Del Boy look less of a c*nt than he does in the shorter version? Dirty Del pissing on the dead child in the burn out car from the OP?

Glebe

Newly-discovered footage shows Del breaking Rodney's entire arm.

madhair60

That sequence of Del dropping his pants and shitting out a dead foetus, then leering at Rodney and rasping "it'll 'appen to you"

JamesTC

Quote from: madhair60 on November 04, 2021, 09:02:25 PM
That sequence of Del dropping his pants and shitting out a dead foetus, then leering at Rodney and rasping "it'll 'appen to you"

Famously they could only record one take of this as they only had one foetus. You can actually see Nicholas Lyndhurst hold back laughter in the wide shot.

JamesTC

Quote from: Malcy on November 04, 2021, 06:33:47 PM

Quote from: JamesTC on November 04, 2021, 06:35:32 PM
To Hull and Back was all film IIRC. The others will be a mix.

To pick up on this, I have seen it discussed elsewhere. To Hull and Back is all film. A Royal Flush is all film aside from two scenes. The other specials are around half-and-half.

idunnosomename

You can see the glistening detail of every little haemorrhage on the miscarriage. wonderful stuff

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: JamesTC on November 04, 2021, 06:00:36 PM
Reportedly, it restores the scene where Trigger bursts a puppy with his cock and Rodney finds the body of a dead child in a burnt out car for the first time since it originally aired.

Is Boycie's 37 minute "up the ra!" speech intact as it was on the original Christmas day broadcast?

JamesTC

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 04, 2021, 10:42:56 PM
Is Boycie's 37 minute "up the ra!" speech intact as it was on the original Christmas day broadcast?

It still airs uncut on UK Gold. Fair play to them, they never cut to an advert during it.

Sadly we will probably never see the Uncle Albert flashback to him impregnating all the women in France as it originally aired in 2002.

Cold Meat Platter

Has the scene where Uncle Grandad's anus falls off onto the tarpaulin been put back in?

Video Game Fan 2000

"'ere, Rodney...this jaffacake don't 'alf taste like shit"

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 04, 2021, 10:13:35 PM
You can see the glistening detail of every little haemorrhage on the miscarriage. wonderful stuff

Any chance we can leave this one behind fucking forever?

JamesTC

It has been confirmed that it will include the full uncut Boycie dance.

Mr_Simnock

del and rodders frotting in 4K

edit: that be just HD frot, the rescanned UHD version will come for the first 4K trotter box set

Glebe

That videotaped scene in 'As One Door Closes' when they're chasing the butterfly freaks me out a bit. Always something unsettling about outdoors scenes shot on video.

JamesTC

While looking on the OFAH fansite to see if they have said anything about the upcoming release, I noticed this article about OFAH limericks. Here is an example of one:

QuoteYuppy Love

Rodney and Cassandra first meet
Under circumstances funny and sweet
He falls for her truly
She falls for him too-ly
And Del falls through the bar – what a treat

This is the best I can do:

Strangers on the Shore

Memorialising their uncle's time in the military
Del and Rodney embark on a ferry
All of the men have a beard
Albert fucked the women and disappeared
Then there's a French bloke who they've named GARY

Glebe

Hopefully they won't be degrained to bits. Is the Fawlty Blu-ray passable?

JamesTC

Quote from: Glebe on November 07, 2021, 01:28:07 AM
Hopefully they won't be degrained to bits. Is the Fawlty Blu-ray passable?

The Fawlty Towers one was the previous remaster DNR'd and upscaled. Sounds like the colour was better but they may have been too aggressive with the DNR.

An tSaoi

Have the BBC shelled out for the proper music this time? That was why the original DVDs had so many scenes missing. Did they not have the ability to swap the copyright music for some cheapo library stuff?

Glebe

Quote from: JamesTC on November 07, 2021, 10:36:26 AMThe Fawlty Towers one was the previous remaster DNR'd and upscaled. Sounds like the colour was better but they may have been too aggressive with the DNR.

Boo!

Quote from: An tSaoi on November 07, 2021, 11:01:16 AMHave the BBC shelled out for the proper music this time? That was why the original DVDs had so many scenes missing. Did they not have the ability to swap the copyright music for some cheapo library stuff?

That's a good point. Have a funny feeling they'll just have the replacement music.

An tSaoi

Quote from: Glebe on November 07, 2021, 06:46:05 PM
That's a good point. Have a funny feeling they'll just have the replacement music.

They didn't even use replacement music. As I recall, they didn't bother (or weren't able) to separate the music from the rest of the soundtrack (dialogue etc), so entire scenes had to be scrapped for the DVDs, or they would have had to mute them entirely. On a modern show, you would just go back to the editing programme and swap the music track, but I suppose they couldn't do that with OFAH because they only had the finished episodes with everything mixed together. Could that really be the case? Couldn't they get the original tapes and change the music? Can anyone with knowledge of TV editing technology of that era fill us in?

Edit: Here's a handy post from years ago:

Quote from: difbrook on September 14, 2005, 11:53:47 PM
Courtesy of "Thomas" over at the Mausoleum Club, posted on January 1st 2004! Any further edits since then that have come to light, I don't know about (apart from the Royal Flush dvd edit).
Prepare to be amazed.

Only Fools and Horses Edits

I've just posted this on Roobarb and looking through old posts here, i have posted here as well.
Here's the full list for Only Fools and Horses edits seen on the videos and subsequent dvds which I compiled for the fan club magazine. The page references with each episode refer to the Only Fools and Horses Bible of Peckham Script Books 1,2 + 3. Excellent books and if you have these, you can see where these edits slot into the episodes.

CASH AND CURRY:
Music Cut 'Money' by Pink Floyd – it has been replaced by a third rate tune like one of Delboys Showoddywoddy records.

THICKER THAN WATER
following lines have been cut possibly due to sentimental reasons. (Bible of Peckham 1: page 196)

Del: In all that time he didn't know if Grandad was dead or alive.
Rodney: Well we're never that sure!

WATCHING THE GIRLS GO BY
The following lines have been cut in a similar way to the episode above where Del talks about his ex girlfriends. (BOP1: p.245)

Albert: Some of them married now, are they?
Del: A couple of 'em are dead.

The following dialogue has been cut because of music (BOP1: 248)

Del: Oi Orlando!
Von: (starts singing) 'I would not leave you in times of trouble'.
Del: Yeah that's beautiful Vonny, that is really lovely you know. Yeah you'll go a long way.
Von: (still singing) 'We never could have come this far. I took the good times.'
Del: That's really nice Vonny, that is yeah beautiful I love it.
Von: (still singing) 'I'll take the bad times'
Del: Yeah super...Oi Orlando.
Von: (still singing) 'I love you just the way you are'
Del: Gordon Bennett, that's my bloody ear'ole Vonny...
Von: Sorry Presh!
Del: Stone me, leave it out.

THE MIRACLE OF PECKHAM
Following scenes cut possibly because of political correctness, although episode was overrunning in time. (BOP1: Pages 289, 290, 291, 293)

Albert: Charming innit. Fight and die for your country, and this is the thanks the younger generation gives you.

Del discussing religion
Del: But me mum was catholic.
Father: I know that, I married her here in this church. Your father wasn't catholic.
Del: No he was a black magic man I think.

Albert: He's got that consignment of orthopaedic sandals coming soon.
Rodney: Yeah, so what?
Albert: Well, maybe he's got the franchise on the monastery.
Rodney: Maybe.

TEA FOR THREE
Music cut: 'I who know nothing' by Joan Baxter and following dialogue. (BOP1: P306)

Albert is on the stage at the piano
Lisa: Isn't that your uncle?
Del: What's that soppy old duffer up to?
Albert: I'd like to sing a very special song for a very special song for a very special lady who unfortunately ain't with me tonight. I like to think this song was named after my dear sick wife. It is that beautiful ballad, Ada.
Del: Ada?
Lisa: Is there a song called Ada?
Rodney: Well there must be, he's about to sing it.
Albert: 'Ada, you with the stars in yours eyes, love never made a fool of you'.

After Albert uses the sunbed (BOP1: page 307)
Del: (referring to Albert's legs) Well just make sure that you put a pair of trousers on first. There's a lot of stray dogs on this estate.

YUPPY LOVE:
Several cuts because of music 'Love goes up and down' by Errol Brown (Bible of Peckham 2: pages 20, 21,22)

At nightclub
Mickey: Jevon! Jevon!
Jevon: What?
Mickey: See the blonde bird? I've had her! And her mate. See the black sort at the back there! Phones me all the time.
Jevon: You're a hell of a man, Mickey.
Rodney: Mickey, are you doing this for charity?
Mickey: What d'you mean?
Rodney: Well, I just wondered whether it was sponsored bullshit.
Mickey: I'm telling you the truth, Rodney!

Two attractive girls pass by. They stop and smile at Jevon.
Girl in Disco: Hi, Jevon
Jevon: Watcher, darling
Girl in Disco: Not dancing tonight?
Jevon: Not at this precise moment in time. But being a creature of impulse, I am coiled like a spring, ready to move with sirivous grace when the music takes me. If either of you should be in the vicinity when this occurs, then who knows, it could be your lucky night.
The girls both sneer at his flashness, but it's an enjoyable sneer. (they like him and his style. Jevon laughs out loud at his own audacity as the girls move on.
Jevon: OK – I've given you two losers an audience, and now its time to do what I was put on this earth to do – to bring pleasure and excitement into the lives of attractive women.

Mickey: Quick, Rodney, phone the AA, tell them the sex machine's broken down!
Jevon: Do you reckon you could do any better?

Rodney meets Cassandra at the nightclub

Cassandra: Erm, was there something?
Rodney: What?, oh yes. Would you like to dance with me?
Cassandra: Thank you.
We see Mickey's and Jevon's faces drop.
Mickey: He's paid her, that's what he's done! He's paid her 'arf the winnings!
Jevon: Mickey – shuddup!

THE JOLLY BOYS OUTING
The beginning of the scene at the Mardi Gras Nightclub has been cut because of music 'Just the Way You Are' performed by Lee Gibson . This has resulted in a 4-5 minute gap in the video release (Bible of Peckham 3: pages 98-99)

As we join scene Del and Rodney are seated at a table eating scampi in a basket. Their table is situated very close to the stage where a singer is performing.
Del: Blinding bit of scampi, innit, eh? It's fresh an' all, you know. Straight out of the sea into your basket.
Rodney: You don't get scampi off the coast.
Del: Of course you do! It's the sea, innit?
Rodney: Yeah, but it's Margate!
Del: Yeah, I know that, but the scampi don't know that, do they?
Rodney: No, I s'ppose not.
Del: 'Ere, what was that starter...um...Cassandra made us last week?
Rodney: Moules Mariniere
Del: Mmm! That's it. They were lovely moules, an' all, weren't they, eh? 'Cos she's got style, see. I mean that Cassandra is a classy lady
Rodney: I suppose so.
Del: No, no suppose so about it. I mean, a lot of people- you know, cheapos – would have used mussels – not Cassandra.
Rodney: We get on well.
Del: Mmm? Yeah, of course we do! Blimey!
Rodney: No, I meant me and Cassandra .
Del: Oh I see. Well that's good, Because I mean your missus should be more than just your wife, you know. She should be your best mate an' all.
Rodney: Yeah. It's just... sometimes you get the feeling...I don't know how to explain it...Have you ever read a book...(realises that Del has never read a book)...Well have you ever seen the film where someone marries beneath themselves?
Del: Oh, don't start that, Rodney! You have not married beneath yourself! Cassandra comes from a very lovely family! Your problem is you're letting her rule you. I mean, that cobblers tonight – you know, she wouldn't let you out! I mean, what are you, a man or a mouse? You've gotta learn to assert yourself. I mean, I may sound old-fashioned, but you take my word for it, in the end a man likes a woman to be a woman! And a bird likes a bloke to be a bloke!
Rodney: D'you know you're right!
Del: Mmm, that is Bonnet de Douche, as they say in the Basque
Rodney: (Emphatic agreement) Absolutely!
Del: Yeah, that's it. Oh 'ere, come on. Drink up, we'll have another one...look who's here, the three musketeers. (Calls) Oi Boycie! Boycie over here!

We see Boycie, Mike and Trigger have arrived.
Boycie: Hello Del (They move to the Trotters's table)
Del: (Loudly) it's good here, innit eh?
Boycie: Stunning
Del: Yeah, they got a magician, a singer and a comedian. The singer'll be on a minute!
The singer sings a few more words then reacts to Del's line.
Boycie: So where are you staying.
Del: Oh, we got a lovely little bed and breakfast, ain't we Rodney?
Rodney: Yeah, it's really good!
Boycie: Yes, well me, Mike and Alan booked into a hotel down on the front.
Trigger I got a room in a motel. They don't know I ain't got a car. (winks in a fooled 'em way)
Mike: I'd keep quiet about that if I was you, Trig.
Trigger: Not half.
The Singer ends her act. Applause. Eddie enters stage etc.
Eddie: (Over the boy's dialogue) And now the Mardi Gras is proud to introduce to you one of Europe's greatest magicians. Ladies and Gentleman, will you give a big Mardi Gras welcome to the Great Ramondo and Raquel.
Ramondo and Raquel on stage – magic begins etc.
Rodney: (Over the above introduction and entrance) Oi where's Alan?
Boycie: Oh of course, you wouldn't have heard about that, would you? Well, you know how much Alan loves shellfish? Well he ate half the ocean bed today. Until at some time or another, he copped an unfortunate whelk!

THE CLASS OF 62
Music 'Mighty Quinn' by Manfred Mann cut from the complete Series 7 video from 2000 but can be heard on the earlier 1994 'Danger UXD' video, so it is obvious that the BBC had the rights earlier but has not continued to renew them.

VARIOUS EPISODES
Scenes involving the music from 'The Omen' where Rodney looks at Damien have been cut from many episodes on BBC video and replaced by a similar track.

MIAMI TWICE: PART 1
Closing shot where Del and Rodney enter plane has been cut from video release. Surely they could have included this bit before connecting the episodes together. (BOP3: page 143)

Shot of Del and Rodney walking down walkway towards plane.
Del: Hey, hey! Come on Rodders! (Singing) Everything's free in America, kippers for tea in America. (To stewardess) Have a nice day.
Rodney: Oi! Pack it in, get on that aeroplane!
Del: Alright, alright.

MIAMI TWICE: PART 2
Music cut 'Rockin' All over the World' by Status Quo at the start of the episode where Del and Rodney are on the plane but luckily no dialogue lost.

Music cut 'Hyperreal' by the Shamen when Del and Rodney meet the Mafia at the nightclub and the following lines cut. (BP3: pages 153-154)

Rico looks at Sal.
Sal: Vacation.
Rico: Oh vacation! Yeah, yeah, I thought as much. Well, welcome to America.
Del: Yeah, well thanks very much, son.
Tony: We don't get many Australians round here.
Del: Look, we are not Australian, right?
Rod: We are British.
Rico: British! We love the British! Are you, erm, living locally?
Del: Well no. No, we've got one of them camper things out there in the street, you know. We just whack our bags and what have you in the back and off we go. (Tony talks quietly to Lurch. Lurch leaves the club)
Pauly: It's the best way to see the country.
Del: Yeah, well, I mean – you can't whack it, can you?
Rico: (Confused) No, like you say, you can't whack it. So can I get you guys a drink.
Del: Er, well, er no...
Sal: (Quietly) I don't think this is wise, Rico.
Rod: You see the thing is, we've gotta drive over to the camping-site...sorry the camper-park, before it closes see.
Pauly: Oh come on, you must have time for one!
Del: Well, we can have one, Rodney, what do you reckon, eh?
Rod: Yeah, go on then.
Del: Yeah we'll have a drink with you – let's introduce ourselves. This is my brother Rodney and my name's Del – that's er, short for Derek.
Rico: Hi, Rodney...Derek. I'm Rico. This is my cousin Salvatore and our friend Pauly. (Greetings and handshakes all round)
Sal: Are you enjoying your stay so far?
Del: Oh yes, er, great. No, we're having a blinding time.
Rico: Why don't you join us?

MOTHER NATURES SON
Music cut 'Money' by The Beatles – has been replaced by an instrumental tune.

Glebe

Remember watching 'Cash and Curry' with the generic music and thinking that 'Money' had been some kind of Mandela Effect thing or it was used in another episode or summit.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Glebe on November 07, 2021, 06:46:05 PM...That's a good point. Have a funny feeling they'll just have the replacement music.

There was something on one of the OFAH fancies, which has a lot of information about the cuts, saying that the BBC had come to some sort of new arrangement regarding music that meant that it was able to re-release episodes uncut if it wanted to - but the sticking point was money. The company that did the DVD releases said it couldn't financially justify releasing new versions, IIRC - and I believe that this release is by BBC Studios.

A major reason the Beeb had trouble getting music clearance for home media is that rightholders refused point blank.

Going from memory, at least one piece of music was substituted for another due to rights clearance - although there could be technical difficulties doing this, I suspect there also a difficulty justifying the time and energy spent of it compared to a cut. On the other hand, IIRC, on the DVDs one episode was cut due to a lack of music clearance, but did have an extra scene that wasn't broadcast.

H-O-W-L

Will it restore the Scotland-only montage sequence of Soviet-Afghan War atrocities set to "Strange Days" while the Trotters all stand in a row wearing sunglasses?

JamesTC

I did actually have a thought that it would be hilarious if they couldn't get Livin' La Vida Loca so had to replace it with stock music. Or even better, just complete silence.

I imagine that they would have isolated audio in order to remove the music and replace where appropriate. After all the show has been dubbed into other languages.