Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:53:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I fucking hate mayonnaise

Started by spaghetamine, November 08, 2021, 02:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MojoJojo

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 10, 2021, 11:37:14 AM
How do they even make it white? Bleach?

Boring answer - the include the eggs whites, because separated yolks are expensive and their emulsifying machines are powerful enough to emulsify the whites as well.

Mayo is crazy popular in Russia.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

In Russia, mayonnaise emulsify YOU

MojoJojo

To expand a bit, I was thought all the russian dishes described as "salad" were a bit misnamed and would be better described as coleslaw, as they were all heavy on the mayonnaise. But then I realised all the food was soaked in mayonnaise, and the Russian salads were as close to a non-coleslaw salad as you could get.

MojoJojo

Actually, talking to a Russian friend about this and I hadn't realised that the literal translation of mayonnaise in Russian is "edible" or "food".

Dex Sawash

Dr Rock

My brother's ex-wife used to put salad cream on her sunday roast. Can you imagine?

She doesn't do it anymore, she's dead.

Galeee

No wonder.

Since I found out how easy it is to make in the blender thing, I live on the stuff.

neardark

Never understood why it provokes such a strong reaction in people. Not as though it's stilton or something is it? It barely tastes of anything.

touchingcloth

One time I had to run to the fridge and smear a tub of mayonnaise all over myself so that I didn't get found by the Predator.

Jittlebags

Just had a sausage roll, with a dollop of mayo + sriracha on the side. Nice combo.

flotemysost

^ Sriracha mayonnaise is also very nice, and doesn't contain eggs, for all you naysayers (maysayers?) and vegans out there. My go-to condiment for a cooked breakfast these days (at home, anyway).

There used to be an amazing fish and chip shop near my old office where they'd put lemon mayo on the vegeburger (which was my usual order), not gallons of it, just enough to add a piquant tang, lovely. I've worked in enough restaurants/pubs to know that even the swankier places will likely be serving mayo that's been dolloped out of a cavernous plastic tub from a generic catering wholesaler, but I still sometimes think about that lemon mayo burger years later.

Salad cream to me comes from the same stable as sandwich spread and seafood sticks - a weirdly perfunctory-sounding amalgam of foodstuffs which is probably perfectly decent, but just seems a bit joyless.

Glebe

Not a fan of mayonnaise but I have eaten it on burgers, or at least whatever it is they tend to put on burgers that's like mayo - Miracle Whip kind of stuff? Speaking of which I still can't find that '80s 'Heavy on the Miracle Whip, Harry!' ad with Jim Carter online!

Actually that fake mayo 'fritessaus' stuff they have in the Netherlands is really nice.

spaghetamine

Quote from: neardark on January 03, 2022, 09:32:08 AMNever understood why it provokes such a strong reaction in people. Not as though it's stilton or something is it? It barely tastes of anything.

Wrong!!!

Cuellar

Everything the Dutch do with sauces is A1 top tier to be honest. Pindasaus, satésaus. All the Indonesische shit.

And the Belgians too to be fair to them. Chip restaurants with bearnaise sauce on tap yes please maneer.

the science eel

Quote from: Suttonpubcrawl on November 09, 2021, 06:12:33 PMMayonnaise? Fantastic. Chovi allioli? Even better.

Yep.

One of the finest cheap foods you can eat is fries with garlic mayo.

I had a cone of them the last time I was in Barcelona. Just a paper cone full of crispy fries with a huge dollop of allioli on top. Fucking A.