Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:35:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

YouTuber Shaun debunks Jimmy Dore's anti-vaccination videos

Started by Petey Pate, November 08, 2021, 05:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: bgmnts on January 18, 2022, 10:03:39 PMI presume they're the target audience, that's why.

As for it being a grift, most of these guys are patreon supported arent they? And just debunk right wing shite, or just address something that's topical in the online sphere (although HasanAbi constantly constantly talks about real world issues, at least he did and he's a twitch commentator not a youtuber). I dont get the feeling it's a grift.

How much original research do you think gets done? It's not all that much different from skeptic debunker youtube, mad at woke media youtube or retro videogame youtube in that its a group of people all drawing on same narrow pool of content, trying to be the fish that the algorithm hooks. Sure there are some pure souls out there but since the advent of patreon mega earners like Contrapoints and Bomberguy, who put out videos once in a blue moon, loads of people want in on that moon money. The top end of it is big business and gets some tasty liberal media endorsements, despite the supposedly radical left wing content.

Did you know that Super Mario 2 is in fact a totally different game called Doki Doki Panic?

madhair60

i don't understand the repeated use of the word "grift"

Video Game Fan 2000

Sign up to my Patreon (patreon.com/big_titty_guattari) and you can access an exclusive discount for my Substack where I explain what grift is across a serious of ten monthly posts detailing my move to a bigger house. If you need more then there is the Das Fuckital podcast where me and my friends count ceiling tiles and remember the 90s as we quip about who's having a normal one today.

madhair60

Video Game Fan 2000

Shit content and people getting mad when you criticise it.

bgmnts

I feel like I know a bit more about left wing and liberal things from watching some of these people and if they didn't exist all we'd have is really horrible people spreading nasty ideas to people like me.

They can't be making one video every two years writing massive dissertations after years of research every time can they? It's not academic. Although I think a lot of these people are university educated and have degrees in these fields.

MrsWarboysLover

Quote from: madhair60 on January 18, 2022, 11:01:45 PMi don't understand the repeated use of the word "grift"

People like to imply that those they disagree with are "grifting", ignoring the fact that basically everyone who makes videos or podcasts or writes is making money off it, including those who hold the opposing views. I think the implication is that the "grifters" just hold their opinions for financial gain.

madhair60

I find it difficult to reconcile that with Hbomb's work to be honest. He quite visibly puts more effort into it than most Youtubers I've seen from any perspective. Shaun I'm less keen on; basically PowerPoints. Still don't think I'd call him a grifter.

Anyway, vTubers mate.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

nah VGF2K has convinced me

anyone who makes a youtube video about anything is just doing it for the money and doesn't believe a word of what they're saying

it's just one big grift like all those people on Twitter who beg for money in their pinned tweets have been saying all along

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 19, 2022, 12:26:20 PMnah VGF2K has convinced me

anyone who makes a youtube video about anything is just doing it for the money and doesn't believe a word of what they're saying

it's just one big grift like all those people on Twitter who beg for money in their pinned tweets have been saying all along

You're incapable of stopping yourself from doing this, aren't you?

With this attitude and response to opinions you don't like, you should count yourself lucky you found yourself in a decent media bubble and not one of the worse ones. Seriously.

These people are not your friends or comrades. They're not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts or putting out videos for "for free". You know what they say about Rogan and Crowder to right-wingers: why get your opinions from a comedian? Because there's both good and bad stuff there, Breadtube (and video essays in general) should be giving left-leaning people a "how the sausage is made" view of how bad or overly simplistic information spreads - Breadtube has already given us the likes of Peter Coffin, Vaush and PhilosophyTube in terms of absolute shit-tier brain poison. Who knows who the goodies and baddies will be in a few years time?

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on January 19, 2022, 12:40:20 PMYou're incapable of stopping yourself from doing this, aren't you?

With this attitude and response to opinions you don't like, you should count yourself lucky you found yourself in a decent media bubble and not one of the worse ones. Seriously.
So because I disagree with your objection to the very existence of YouTubers, seemingly, I'm a sheeple. I mean, I first began to hold the views I do nine years before "BreadTube" but clearly a gamer knows best

QuoteThese people are not your friends or comrades.

I never said they were. I think it's interesting that you assume I'm defending them from your incisive criticism because hdu talk about my friend, instead of me just mocking you.

QuoteThey're not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts or putting out videos for "for free".

Of course they're not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. They have opinions on things that they decide to share. I disagree with your apparent stance that they pick topics they have no real investment in to game the algorithm. And I ain't paying them any money.

QuoteBreadtube already given us the likes of Peter Coffin, Vaush and PhilosophyTube in terms of absolute shit-tier brain poison.

But wait, I thought I

Quoteshould count yourself lucky you found yourself in a decent media bubble and not one of the worse ones.

Is it shit-tier brain poison or a decent media bubble?

bgmnts

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on January 19, 2022, 12:40:20 PMThese people are not your friends or comrades. They're not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts or putting out videos for "for free". 

Very very very few people do anything for free.

They are providing a service though arent they? Trying to convey certain information in an entertaining or engaging way. Academics get paid also.

Quote from: bgmnts on January 19, 2022, 01:05:07 PMVery very very few people do anything for free.

They are providing a service though arent they? Trying to convey certain information in an entertaining or engaging way. Academics get paid also.
I wouldn't go as far as to liken YouTubers to academics or even journalists. Always check to see if they cite sources. They're entertaining, and that is also a service.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 19, 2022, 12:59:23 PMSo because I disagree with your objection to the very existence of YouTubers, seemingly, I'm a sheeple. I mean, I first began to hold the views I do nine years before "BreadTube" but clearly a gamer knows best

No, because you're incapable of replying to anyone without imagining that they said something different or worse, and replying to that. Do you even notice that you're doing this?

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 19, 2022, 12:59:23 PMIs it shit-tier brain poison or a decent media bubble?

Did you see the part where I said there's good and bad to it?

I also never said they didn't have investment in the topics. That's different from the fact that US culture wars issues are guiding what content gets made and goes on to become popular, and often leading the online discussions in general.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: bgmnts on January 19, 2022, 01:05:07 PMAcademics get paid also.

Do you think a teacher at the university or a postgrad researcher with a grant makes as much someone with ten thousand patreon supporters? It's not a very good comparison.

chveik

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on January 19, 2022, 01:06:49 PMNo, because you're incapable of replying to anyone without imagining that they said something different or worse, and replying to that. Do you even notice that you're doing this?
You're assuming a helluva lot about me, bucko. Do you ever notice you're doing that?

QuoteDid you see the part where I said there's good and bad to it?

Yes. I was making fun of the apparent contradiction in your words.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 19, 2022, 01:10:57 PMYou're assuming a helluva lot about me, bucko. Do you ever notice you're doing that?

I'm just going by your posts and your tendency to do the same thing to everyone you disagree with. I don't care about anything else.

QuoteYes. I was making fun of the apparent contradiction in your words.

Apparent to you. It's not a contradiction to say something is good and bad on the whole, then say what I think is bad? Fuck me.

bgmnts

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on January 19, 2022, 01:09:13 PMDo you think a teacher at the university or a postgrad researcher with a grant makes as much someone with ten thousand patreon supporters? It's not a very good comparison.

No but so what?

Video Game Fan 2000

It makes a nonsense of your flattening things into "providing a service"

madhair60

chveik

peanutbutter

Did Patreon get rid of the "per video" style support options? I could swear a few of these used to be doing it on a video basis but they all look to be monthly now.

Thursday

Are we still debating whether it's worthwhile for popular youtubers to make videos debunking dangerous misinformation spread by other very popular youtube channels?

tribalfusion

Anything that might cause people to hesitate to watch Jimmy Dore is fine with me.

chveik

what's a bit horse paste compared to the harm made by us imperialism. get your priorities straight

seriously though it's time for people to ask themselves why vaccines are being turned into a culture war issue, and people like Dore aren't the only one responsible

Quote from: chveik on January 20, 2022, 05:57:38 AMseriously though it's time for people to ask themselves why vaccines are being turned into a culture war issue, and people like Dore aren't the only one responsible
I find the answer to such questions usually boils down to "poor people need to die faster"