Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:01:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musicians appearing on comedy shows.

Started by Glebe, November 21, 2021, 01:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studpuppet

You can't mention The Comic Strip without UB40's cameo in The Yob (about 17:30 in).

Mobius

I liked Paul Weller on Ideal, and I'm sure Mark E Smith was in an episode too.

The Culture Bunker

The Tragically Hip made a cameo in an episode of Corner Gas, playing a band Brent had to kick out of his garage.

jobotic

Does Paul Simon have a speaking part in Curb or do they just go to see him play? Can't remember

Mobius

I don't think you see or hear him

Alanis Morrissette is in an ep though

jobotic

Quote from: Mobius on November 21, 2021, 10:15:35 PMI don't think you see or hear him

In that case I will admit that it doesn't count as an "appearance".

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: jobotic on November 21, 2021, 10:13:07 PMDoes Paul Simon have a speaking part in Curb or do they just go to see him play? Can't remember

I think the latter? Don't remember him being on screen anyway.

Paul Simon has hosted or appeared on Saturday Night Live numerous times (I seem to remember one with Garfunkel too where he greets him with "Hey Arty, how's the movie career going?" or words to that effect).

Mind you, just like what was said earlier about The Simpsons, we could fill a whole thread with SNL.

Mark X

Quote from: Jittlebags on November 21, 2021, 06:03:26 PMLemmy played Spider in Eat the Rich as well.

Lemmy also popped up an Argentinian soldier in the second part of Comic Strip's South Atlantic Raiders.

John Lennon in Not Only But Also:

Ben Folds appears a (I think) a botanist in an episode of Community.

Art Garfunkel in Flight of the Conchords.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Mark X on November 21, 2021, 11:32:29 PMLemmy also popped up an Argentinian soldier in the second part of Comic Strip's South Atlantic Raiders.

And he was in a Troma film too (Tromeo and Juliet, I think?), got around a bit did Lemmy.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Mobius on November 21, 2021, 09:53:55 PMI liked Paul Weller on Ideal, and I'm sure Mark E Smith was in an episode too.

Yes, he was. He played Jesus in an episode in which he urged that religious, badly stung handyman type to smite Moz. Amusingly, was just dressed as Mark E. Smith ( crisp, white shirt, corny black leather jacket) with no concession to Jesusry whatsoever. Lines delivered in his own Salford accent, too.

LORD BAD VIBE

If we're counting cartoons there are quite a few on South Park not least Isaac Hayes playing Chef.

Joe Strummer, Ozzy Osbourne, Rancid, Ween, Primus, Elton John, Meat Loaf, Rick James, DMX and Devo were all in the Chef Aid episode.

Radiohead, Korn and Robert Smith have been in too. There might be others.

LORD BAD VIBE

Oh, just thought of another one - Midge Ure in Filthy, Rich and Catflap.

Janie Jones

Tim Buckley performing the achingly sad Song to the Siren on The Monkees TV show always struck me as a bit incongruous
https://youtu.be/vMTEtDBHGY4

Petey Pate

Quote from: Pranet on November 21, 2021, 05:33:20 PMMark E Smith was on the People V Jerry Sadowitz.

He was also in an episode of Sadowitz's earlier series The Pall-Bearer's Revue.

Dizzy Gillespie, Stevie Wonder, Tito Puente, Art Blakey, Percy Heath, and Max Roach all appeared on The Cosby Show.

Tom Jones was in an episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and sang 'It's Not Unusual' with Carlton if I recall correctly.

Tom Jones was also in The Simpsons, which has had many guest musicians, including Tony Bennett, Barry White, Tito Puente, James Brown, Lady Gaga, James Taylor, Ringo Starr, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Michael Jackson, Mick Jagger, The Who, U2, Elton John, Aerosmith, Sting, Red Hot Chili Peppers, David Crosby, The Ramones, Paul Anka, Cypress Hill, Peter Frampton, Smashing Pumpkins, Dolly Parton...

Frank Zappa voiced the Pope in the Powdered Toast Man segment of Ren and Stimpy. His time hosting Saturday Night Life was less well-received.

Chris Martin from Coldplay and David Bowie showed up in Ricky Gervais' Extras.

EOLAN

Quote from: Mobius on November 21, 2021, 10:15:35 PMI don't think you see or hear him

Alanis Morrissette is in an ep though

On Curb Your Enthusiasm, Chris Martin (unfortunately) also turns up as does South Korean violinist virtuoso Kim Chee-Yun.

dissolute ocelot

Who can forget the episode of iCarly where Harry Styles malingered in Carly's bedroom and the show's half-naked chubby idiot Gibby temporarily replaced him in the band? There must be a long list of flavour-of-the-moment TV bands popping up in teen sitcoms.

Chris Isaak was mildly amusing in Friends as (IIRC) a library employee who briefly dated Phoebs, and Chrissy Hynde sang Smelly Cat and Angel of the Morning. Isaak has done a few small roles on shows such as American Dad, according to IMDb. There was also a storyline where half of the Friends went to see Hootie and the Blowfish but I don't think the band ever featured in that episode. And of course Bruce Willis is a pop star.

There was also that trend in the 80s/90s for elderly jazz and blues musicians to turn up in sitcoms, most notably the C*sby Show, but BB King was on Blossom.

We've already discussed Ted Nugent on Judd Apatow's college sitcom Undeclared in another thread, a truly inexplicable appearance from the gun-crazy paedophile which I think was removed from the broadcast version and only included in the DVD.

phantom_power

Colin thingy from Men at Work was in an episode of Scrubs

LORD BAD VIBE

I have a vague memory of David Crosby turning up in an episode of Roseanne back in the day.

Looked it up on Youtube and there he is with Bonnie Bramlett -

Gurke and Hare

Kirsty MacColl was the resident musical guest on at least one series of French & Saunders and did some mucking about with Raw Sex.

Quote from: LORD BAD VIBE on November 22, 2021, 09:32:18 AMOh, just thought of another one - Midge Ure in Filthy, Rich and Catflap.

Jools Holland too.

McChesney Duntz

Al Jardine, Denny Laine, and (the voice of) Todd Rundgren all featured on episodes of Heidecker/Turkington's Decker series.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: EOLAN on November 22, 2021, 10:39:31 AMOn Curb Your Enthusiasm, Chris Martin (unfortunately) also turns up...

Martin also plays himself (badly) on Modern Family but is clearly a good sport.

If you count Judge Judy as the silly farce that it is, then there's always Johnny Rotten's appearance.

DJ Bob Hoskins

A favourite one that slipped my mind until just now: Brian Eno in Father Ted!

Ignatius_S

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on November 22, 2021, 08:47:37 PMA favourite one that slipped my mind until just now: Brian Eno in Father Ted!

Good call!

Ignatius_S

Bing Crosby and Dean Martin both played themselves on The Phil Silvers Show. Martin's appearance was a non-speaking one - he just looks bemused when Bilko, who hasn't recognised him, asks him to keep an eye on his car.

In another episode, Bilko cons Crosby's manager into getting the singer to appear at one of his events, but after told that he won't make it, Bilko tries to pass off a lookalike - at the end of the episode, Crosby does appear. Whilst in another episode, four of Bing's sons (all singers) appear.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on November 22, 2021, 08:47:37 PMA favourite one that slipped my mind until just now: Brian Eno in Father Ted!

Also Clare Grogan.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 22, 2021, 09:40:38 PMAlso Clare Grogan.
Less of an eyebrow-raiser, as she had a bit of acting experience - like Gregory's Girl and a few Red Dwarf episodes. She was also in the video for 'Young at Heart' by the Bluebells, not sure if that was as a favour for some mates or not.

PaulTMA

Quote from: phantom_power on November 22, 2021, 01:17:36 PMColin thingy from Men at Work was in an episode of Scrubs

Frank Zappa also made a cameo as a corpse

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 22, 2021, 09:40:38 PMAlso Clare Grogan.

I had no idea she was a musician. Nor did I know until just now that she was the inspiration for True by Spandau Ballet.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2012/may/14/how-we-made-true-spandau-ballet