Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:45:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Galaxie 500 and associated solo stuff

Started by holyzombiejesus, November 30, 2021, 01:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Just listened to On Fire for the first time in a few years and it's absolutely brilliant. Definitely one of my favourite and most-listened-to albums of all time. Such a great great band. Ace at covers too. I thought this was a great time for slower, slightly stoned indie stuff, what with these, Mazzy Star and Codeine bringing out incredible records.

I liked the first Luna album and that DW solo single but went off him soon after that. Saw him do one of those tours with Britta where he did G500 stuff and it was quite horrible, too many extra notes, too shiny. I remember reading an interview with Damon and Naomi where they said that towards the end of the band he'd gotten a bit starry and was getting spotlights on him for solos and stuff. I was a bit rude to him at Bowlie and asked him about this and he seemed aghast that anyone would think that of him. I also went off him after reading his autobiography, especially the self pitying bit where he gets wanked off by a prostitute, and when he goes on about his wife's fantastic VPL. Seems to be a pretty nice man though. Saw him play Gorilla in Manchester with the reformed Luna (I think) before lockdown and even though they'd given loads of free tickets away, it was pretty empty which seemed a shame.

I've got all the Damon & Naomi records but I'm not sure why as I can't imagine anyone ever needing to hear more than one. Pretty one-note for such a long-standing band but it's quite a good note. Bit boring though.

Snowstorm is on now and it's just the fucking best.

PaulTMA

I have to say I misread that as the self-pitying bit where he gets wanked off by a gorilla

Inspector Norse

Loved them and burned out on them when I was at university.

Saw Dean and Britta doing Galaxie 500 songs about 8-9 years ago and chatted to them in the crowd after as they were returning from the bar. They were very patient.

The Culture Bunker

When my family first got the internet, in 1997 or so and I was a 16 year spod who knew nothing about music, I wandered into one of the AOL chat rooms and a lovely American woman from LA tipped me off to loads of great music, including Galaxie 500.

I don't think I ever really bothered much with any of their various projects afterwards. I have a Dean and Britta EP that I was asked to review, but never did as I thought it was crap and didn't want to be mean to the lad. Fairly sure they did a "... play the songs of Galaxie 500" tour some years back that was stopping at the Ruby Lounge in Manchester, but for whatever reason I didn't go.

Now I think on it, I doubt I've give those G500 albums a spin in years. Might fix that on Thursday.

jobotic

Only have that album and Copenhagen - my most played song on that is Listen The Snow is Falling.

Which song has the recorders?

studpuppet

Hex Triplet

Today is my favourite I think. A perfect collection of swirling, swooning songs. "Tugboat" is beautiful, I mean it all is, but really that, and "It's Getting Late" when the keyboards come in about halfway through. "Flowers", uplifting.

I never really heard much of Luna. I remember the song "Superfreaky Memories" which I liked enough and their cover of "Sweet Child Of Mine". 

Cagney and Lacee (Dean Wareham and Claudia Silver) had a really nice single on Earworm records in the late 90s, a cover of Madonna's "Borderline".

jobotic

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 01, 2021, 09:34:13 AMWay Up High from This Is Our Music.

Thanks.

Quote from: Hex Triplet on December 01, 2021, 10:40:41 AMCagney and Lacee (Dean Wareham and Claudia Silver) had a really nice single on Earworm records in the late 90s, a cover of Madonna's "Borderline".

I have that and yes it is good. Who is Claudia Silver?

Hex Triplet

I think she was Dean Wareham's wife at the time. Not sure beyond that. Twas a short-lived project.

danwho9

'Temperature's Rising' is a particularly lovely track. Their cover of 'Isn't It A Pity' is probably my favourite Beatles-related cover as well.

Johnboy

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: danwho9 on December 10, 2021, 01:07:18 PM'Temperature's Rising' is a particularly lovely track. Their cover of 'Isn't It A Pity' is probably my favourite Beatles-related cover as well.

It's great. Better than Nina Simone's version even.

There's one of those polls going on at the moment on the Temperature's Rising Facebook page but my favourites have mostly been knocked out already.