Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:52:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Third Banger In A Row From Wet Leg!

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, December 01, 2021, 08:46:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

https://youtu.be/UB3PJwPMHzQ

The visuals in the first half of this vi- de-o may be slightly reminiscent of Dry Cleaning ( a group I always bracket with this lot for some reason), but those wacky gals and guys from the Isle Of Wight have delivered the goods again, in the form of another kerazy video ( even the sheep get credited in the closing titles!!!!!!! 😄), and another earworming start off slowburning, then end up reminiscent of Bis covering New Order's " Temptation" heavy rotation on 6Music song!And this time, no " would you like to come back with me and my Lucy Porter Lookalike bandmate?/ we've got the Warm Jets on cassette, and we think they're really great"- type lyrics!

Ones to watch out for in 2022!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Kai Galles, in the comments:
QuoteI, for one, welcome our new Wet Leg overlords

OK, which one of you was this?

The blonde girl always looks on the verge of bursting into tears. Can we absolutely sure that The Other One isn't making her do all these wacky indie songs and videos under some kind of duress?

imitationleather

turnstyle

Wet Leg is exactly the sort of name my parents would have come out with when mocking me about whatever indie band I was going to see that week.

holyzombiejesus

Imagine people will quickly get bored of their shtick. Seem like the kind of band that will be clogging up the racks in the 2nd hand shops in 12 months.

studpuppet

Quote from: imitationleather on December 01, 2021, 11:30:27 AMI am extremely suspicious of this band.

I know what you mean - any band that has their logotype already in place for their first release is deeply suspect.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 01, 2021, 09:46:49 PMImagine people will quickly get bored of their shtick.

I dunno - I think they'll get at least an album or two out of it.

buzby

Quote from: imitationleather on December 01, 2021, 11:30:27 AMI am extremely suspicious of this band.
From the 6 Music thread...
Quote from: buzby on November 12, 2021, 09:33:56 AMThey both say they are from the Isle of Wight, but they are not natives - Rhian Teasdale moved there from Liverpool aged 8, and Hester Chambers moved there when she was a baby. The do seem like nice middle class girls who went to went to the same art college. Teasdale had originally been a solo artist (under the name RHAIN) around 2017 doing Florence Welch/Regina Spektor-esque vocal operatics and piano pieces and it wasn't going well (though she got as far as getting positive reviews in the national press), so she roped in her art college friend Chambers on guitar to help her for live dates, and that's how they came to form Wet Leg (after seeing an IDLES gig, apparently). She has definitely been around the block before.

They were signed up on the 'BBC Introducing' thing last year (Teasdale had also been on it as a solo artist in 2016) with the release of their debut single, which means the BBC will give them a free push.

I find it a bit odd that they have been together as a group since 2019, but have only put out two singles, over a year apart. Either they have a glacially slow work rate, or there's a lot of material Domino have knocked back. They were also booked onto US tour at the end of last year having only put out one single, It's all quite strange.

PammySpacek

The opening 30 seconds was all I could watch. It felt like a parody of the last 15 - 20 years of indie.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Considering their ramshackle Indie image/ sound, one thing that has struck me about the videos accompanying these songs is how very well made they are, to quite a professional standard.
So, are Wet Leg to be regarded as a calculated Kate Nash for the Indie 20s, as opposed to an endearingly naive Flight Of The Conchords ( except with the backing of more or less every single DJ at 6Music rather than Kristen Schaal as their sole fan. The singer's resemblance to Jermaine Clement's sister can only serve to bolster this impression) of our times?
If one were to be ageist, you could also be critical of the fact that the timeline cited in that there information done put up by the ever reliable Buzby has our babyfaced artfully ageless lyrics- singing heroines pushing 30 ( I'm old enough to remember the 26 year - old Paddy McAloon being criticised as " no spring chicken" when Prefab Sprout's debut was released), making them marginally less admirable than Kenickie with their eschewing a top place at a smart University due to good A- Level Results ways.

Still rate those songs, mind you.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I think you just fantasise about the girls in the band sitting on your face.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on December 02, 2021, 06:56:22 AMI think you just fantasise about the girls in the band sitting on your face.

I know (hope) you're only joshing, but come on ESP, you're better than that.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

....having said that, what would Wet Leg covering top Monty Python song " Sit On My Face" ( itself cribbed from a Gracie Fields tune ) sound like? Good thing, or bad thing?
Hang on a minute....

turnstyle

Quote from: studpuppet on December 01, 2021, 10:42:58 PM

There needs to be a law passed against bands rhyming the words 'home', 'alone' and 'phone' with each other.

Unless it's a band fronted by ET, in which case, acceptable.

SteveDave

Same. That new song is great though. The second one was weak.

The Mollusk

Cannot fathom the appeal or popularity of this music whatsoever. It's so monotonous and boring.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Bah. I wanted to write " artfully artless", not " artfully ageless". Stupid spell check.

Catalogue of ills

Nothing new going on there, not even anything old done really well.

gilbertharding

Are they specifically designed (with their rude lyrics etc etc) to tittilate the male, middle aged 6 music listner?

I mean, if that's what's for sale, I ain't buying.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: gilbertharding on December 02, 2021, 09:49:12 PMAre they specifically designed (with their rude lyrics etc etc) to tittilate the male, middle aged 6 music listner?

Well, their second single was actually called " Wet Dream", and the current 'un contains the line " shave my rat", so you could be on to something.
Hmmmm....it's a bit depressing to consider the calculatedness going on with this bunch, to be honest.

turnstyle

Quote from: gilbertharding on December 02, 2021, 09:49:12 PMAre they specifically designed (with their rude lyrics etc etc) to tittilate the male, middle aged 6 music listner?

Exhibit A, 'Chaise Longue'

Mommy, daddy, look at me
I went to school and I got a degree
All my friends call it "the big D"
I went to school and I got the big D
I got the big D
I got the big D
I got the big D
Is your muffin buttered?
Would you like us to assign someone to butter your muffin?

The Mollusk

turnstyle

Also, I think that CaB favourites Idles are directly responsible for birthing Wet Leg:

"The duo formed atop a Ferris wheel, after watching a particularly rowdy IDLES set at End of the Road festival in 2019 and deciding that being up on stage looked like a pretty good time."

Vitamin C

Would you be asking a similar question if it was written from a male perspective? I seriously doubt it.

Quote from: turnstyle on December 03, 2021, 10:22:37 AMExhibit A, 'Chaise Longue'

Mommy, daddy, look at me
I went to school and I got a degree
All my friends call it "the big D"
I got the big D
I got the big D
I got the big D
Is your muffin buttered?
Would you like us to assign someone to butter your muffin?

The 'butter your muffin' bit is a direct lift from the film Mean Girls.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiljrjKwMf0AhWigv0HHR1GA4oQwqsBegQIBRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgetyarn.io%2Fyarn-clip%2F7befcdbc-e6b0-41ed-b04b-d6ef4b0120ff&usg=AOvVaw10WSWxuYgEoWWEyNXHUhJE

Do the young people nowadays call university 'schools' and degrees 'the big D'?

studpuppet

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on December 03, 2021, 11:23:06 AMDo the young people nowadays call university 'schools' and degrees 'the big D'?

No worse in itself than the depressing use of 'a Desmond' or 'a Richard' to describe your degree, or calling it 'Uni' so you don't feel too bad about ending up at Wolverhampton Poly.

But as LJ&MC says, it's the calculatedness of it all. I suppose it's difficult to make headway during a period of time when there's no live gigging, so clever marketing/exposure is all the more important, but it doesn't half feel like there's some (male) Svengali-type record exec pulling the strings somewhere.

Cuellar

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on December 03, 2021, 11:23:06 AMDo the young people nowadays call university 'schools' and degrees 'the big D'?

I don't think I'd be being overconfident if I said that literally (and I mean literally) no one has ever referred to it as that, ever. Not even these people.