Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:17:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Third Banger In A Row From Wet Leg!

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, December 01, 2021, 08:46:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

They do seem a bit Observer Music Monthly

Zoe Williams eh? I probably won't read that, thanks all the same.

The Mollusk

I tried to read it.

Second paragraph:

QuoteEveryone loves them, from Florence Welch to Hayley Williams to Iggy Pop. Is it because they have been compared to the likes of Violent Femmes and Björk?

Third paragraph:

QuoteThey are sitting against a glass-bricked wall; there is a dog around, but it never comes into view: it is all pretty indie.

Abhorrent.

phantom_power

Bjork? Huh? That Bjork? Is there another Bjork?

Pauline Walnuts

Pauline Walnuts

QuoteEveryone loves them, from Florence Welch to Hayley Williams to Iggy Pop. Is it because they have been compared to the likes of Violent Femmes and Björk?

Ali G considers re-write.

Lot of self-mythologizing bullshit going on in that interview, not least the notion that they both somehow just fell into a successful musical career without even trying, when we know from Buzby's digging that the opposite is true.

The Mollusk

Yeah it's horse shit. I love a whole heap of manufactured pop but to pretend it's something else as a gimmick is repugnant. What have they got to prove? "Indie" as a catch all music term means basically nothing now in terms of integrity and independence, just admit you're an industry plant. It's a bizarre experiment and I don't understand why it exists, except if maybe it's one of those things politicians do like "let's see how much we can get away with before we have to feign an apology" and then they end up inexplicably dominating the game because no one can be arsed to bat an eyelid? Heinous. I hope everyone involved fails and is unhappy.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I'm still going to stick up for their music, and will probably get the album when it comes out, but I  see they're still claiming they made at least the first video by their little ol'shambling, amateur selves.
*All* of their videos look to be pretty slick, professionally made jobs. This is where I distrust them.

King Cold

Shit. Here's another song. And this one is really fucking bad.

scarecrow

QuoteYou're so woke / Diet Coke

Fucking hell.

gilbertharding

Quote from: King Cold on February 01, 2022, 04:48:29 PMShit. Here's another song. And this one is really fucking bad.

Is this a song about being in Wet Leg and reading all the horrible things people write about them online?

Hiyah Hester!! Hiyah!!

jobotic

Aw I was on that cable car trip to the beach at The Needles in October with my kids. Sweet.

Not gonna listen to that codswallop though.

imitationleather

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 01, 2022, 04:59:08 PMIs this a song about being in Wet Leg and reading all the horrible things people write about them online?

Hiyah Hester!! Hiyah!!

Yep apparently we're not allowed to criticise them or else they'll call us out I'm afraid.

Kankurette

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

From the Guardian article:

QuoteThey are called Wet Leg because they wanted a name they could spell with emojis.

I wish a big asteroid would come and wipe us the fuck out.

Kankurette

non capisco

And there was me thinking they'd named themselves in tribute to their favourite actress Anne Sellors.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Yep, going to concede There's a birrova try hard element to this one. I remember putting up this song on me Facebook page last year, mentioning Devo in 1978 calling and wanting their sound back.
Birrova shame that diminishing returns seem to be setting in before they've even released their debut album. I never liked them that much anyway. I was always more of a Yard Act man meself.

non capisco

"You're so woke/Diet Coke" makes that bellend out of IDLES seem like Leonard Cohen.

Now I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
That's a euphemism for wanking, hallelujah

Camp Tramp

I'm not going to watch that video because I'm sure I'll be hearing it on 6 Music 24/7 before long.

turnstyle

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 01, 2022, 04:59:08 PMIs this a song about being in Wet Leg and reading all the horrible things people write about them online?

If they check out CaB they'll have enough material for the next 5 albums.

Totes true BackDoor Mann, totes true.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

They're going to have to squeeze out one more song and accompanying video before the album's release; the songs going to have to be an absolute belter in the vein of " Chaise Longue", and the video's going to have to be another aesthetically appealing madcap affair, or it could all be over for the 'Leg, and they could go down in musical  history as the Mungo Jerry of the Angular Hipsterindie world. :(

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Also, what if the debut album is stuffed with all the preceeding singles, and the critics dismiss the other tracks as pretty thin gruel? It could be Bananarama's 1983 debut all over again.

sevendaughters

they just strike me as people not confident enough to make art so paddle around in the shallows mocking the idea. pointless waste of time designed for being minimally impactful on a tower-of-names modern festival poster. nothing more.

chveik

Quote from: sevendaughters on February 03, 2022, 03:04:11 PMthey just strike me as people not confident enough to make art so paddle around in the shallows mocking the idea.

maybe they're just not very talented so they're riding on their media connections and it seems to have worked for them so far.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I feel a bit bad for the three blokes in the band. Nobody will ever know their names, other than "the drummer from Wet Leg".

gilbertharding

Rock and pop, of course, has always been dominated by the fabulously talented.

chveik

well, no, but mediocre bands suddenly getting a lot of exposure is always a bit suspicious

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 03, 2022, 08:34:01 PMI feel a bit bad for the three blokes in the band. Nobody will ever know their names, other than "the drummer from Wet Leg".

Wet Leg Bloke, it's not even as good as Sleeper Bloke is it? Poor sods.