Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:15:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Machynlleth Comedy Festival 2022

Started by BritishHobo, December 01, 2021, 05:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

IT'S BACK, BABY!

29th April - 1 May.

After two years away, it's back. And it's Mach advent calendar time again, starting with two Nish Kumar shows. Holy fuck I have missed it.

https://machcomedyfest.co.uk/

BritishHobo

Some might say "are you sure given the news about the new variant - and generally the fact that COVID is still a huge threat - that you want to spend a weekend being jostled by boorish bank holiday drinker cunts fighting in the beer tent, just so you can see Sean Morley and Sam Nicoresti, and ideally another Glang Show?" Yeah. Yeah, I am.

Others might say "hold on, haven't you just realised mid-way through writing this post that you've got a holiday to New York booked that week, and all of a sudden the wind has completely gone out of your sails because you now can't go to Mach Fest?" Uh... yeah. Also yeah.

BritishHobo

paruses

Yes! Brilliant news. Did Little Wander send out an email or did you find out elsewhere?

Also - sorry for your future loss.

Like you I love this weekend and will risk almost certain death to visit the theatres that are sheds for the rest of the year

paruses

Little bit disappointed to see it's just Nish Kumar.

BritishHobo

It popped up on Facebook - I'd stopped looking at their e-mails because every single time I would hope it was this news, and it never was!

I land back in the UK on the Saturday morning, and the mad thought has occurred to me that I could just get on a train (and then change to another train, and then change to another train) and go all the way to Machynlleth and go straight to the Owain Glyndwr Centre and ask when Steffan Alun is on please.

There's always the high likelihood that things go fuck-up with international travel again, in which case I would have to push New York back, and then it's Mach time!

paruses

I think we were both at the same Steffan Alun show. Been trying to think of his name all week, by coincidence.

Kiri Pritchard-Maclean has listed her show today. Am going to get tickets for that.

It's the BBC Wales Radio Theatre (or something very similar). Any idea what that is in day-to-day life? I saw her at Y Tabernacl and thought that was a great venue.

Twonty Gostelow

Yet another lorry has just hit the top of the railway bridge on the A487 in town there.

Just a little local colour to get you in the mood.

Plenty on sale now. Sorted with tickets for Jordan Brookes and Mike Wozniak (the latter has sold out already, which must be the Taskmaster effect). Tempted by Rob Auton and Chloe Petts, but I can't see either of those selling out until the weekend itself so I'll keep my options open. It's a shame Catherine Bohart's on before I arrive as I would've liked to have seen her.

God I can't wait.

paruses

Balls. Didn't realise so much was being listed. John Shuttleworth is on but it's the same time as KPM who gets preference. Was going to see Mike Wozniak last year and would have this year but as you say he's on telly now so you have to be quick.

BritishHobo

Quote from: paruses on December 02, 2021, 07:27:32 PMI think we were both at the same Steffan Alun show. Been trying to think of his name all week, by coincidence.

That we were! I saw him do a version of that show again last year when a few venues reopened. Lovely as ever, and he handled a difficult heckler (who went gunning for the support act) in a very calm, efficient way, immediately putting a stop to their control of the evening without letting things get beyond politeness. I do hope he's performing this year.

QuoteKiri Pritchard-Maclean has listed her show today. Am going to get tickets for that.

It's the BBC Wales Radio Theatre (or something very similar). Any idea what that is in day-to-day life? I saw her at Y Tabernacl and thought that was a great venue.

It's a sports hall I believe (you walk past a load of squash courts on the way in), and they do a pretty good job of transforming it so it feels like a real venue. I think it's pushing the limit of what a Mach venue should be, and I hope they don't go beyond that. I've been there a couple of times to see some of the big-hitter shows (Stewart Lee and Rhod Gilbert), but I think it does lose a bit of the charm of the other venues, so I'm not the biggest fan. Pritchard-Maclean would definitely have me overlooking that though - her Victim, Complex show at Y Tabernacl absolutely blew me away, and I still think about it to this day. Absolutely stunning the way she tied the story to the structure. The
Spoiler alert
double-punch of revealing she wasn't actually cheated on, and then revealing she was, left me properly breathless. As someone for whom the show brought up a few personal experiences, it was incredible the way that the first revelation deflates you and causes you to lose engagement with the show a bit, only to get pulled right back in.
[close]

I was booked to see her at the Mach that COVID cancelled. I am glad that she's doing the Arena, she deserves it.

BritishHobo

Also I've sacked off my holiday until later in the year, so MACH IS BACK ON. Oh, thank god. And I'm going with people again for the first time in about five years. Which will be interesting, as I have quite enjoyed it in recent years as a bit of a break, wandering round listening to podcasts, exploring the area, chatting to strangers in the queues.

I got another e-mail newsletter recently which said that there is another slate of show announcements due today, so keep your eyes peeled. Glang Show/Sean Morley/Sam & Tom are immediate buys for me, but it may be time to take a few new plunges as well, book some of the names that I always see on the schedule but never really consider.

BritishHobo

Sean Morley is up, so I've booked my first ticket.

bgmnts

Anyone whinging at people going to super spreader events who's going to this is a hypocrite of the shittest degree.

Hope you all enjoy though, looks fun!

paruses

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 29, 2022, 11:40:55 PMSean Morley is up, so I've booked my first ticket.

I keep meaning to start getting sorted with this. I am going to sort out KPM tickets today and Sean Morley. The it's time to make a timetable and start picking names.

I had same thoughts as you about KPM's Y Tabarnacl show. Also was set up to see her last year but obvs Covid. For some reason I could have seen her in Aber at the cut down festival they did but had to collect a chihuahua from Anglesey for a friend that day (and that's not even enough for one of those 90s Tony Hawks type books).

Sean Morley was in the little shed by The Wynnstay Arms. It was the last gig of the festival for me and really funny and inventive.

Will try and see Steffan Alun if he pops up. Am debating about Tudur Owen - I've only really seen him acting and read a couple of columns he wrote for (maybe) The Nation. I was thinking about Issy Sutty but she's sold out now. Will have a proper look at the list - I was on my phone and their website is as terrible as ever - you click Next on page 1/7 to be told "Nothing Found" so have to attack the listings from a different route via categories which means possibly missing stuff.

BritishHobo

Morley is actually the only person I saw at Aberystwyth, as I ended up going specifically because I was so gutted I'd missed out on seeing him at Mach. It's odd how it works out, as I had skipped him in favour of Stewart Lee's WiP of Snowflake, which I'm seeing the full version of this week anyway. So I'm not making that mistake again, no matter who is scheduled against Morley.

It is always a tricky point though, knowing they'll be dropping many more shows in the coming months. I'm holding out on other bookings largely for Sam & Tom, Glang Show and Steffan Alun (assuming it's a new show, and not the one I saw recently). KPM I'll book, and I think we'll be going to see Rosie Jones. Might chance it on everyone else.

The website definitely has issues. Somebody mentioned it to them on Twitter, but I don't think it's been fixed yet.

They've always let me return tickets when things clash, regardless of if they've sold out.

Never seen Morley live, but some of his online stuff during the pandemic has been remarkable - so I think I'll be going along to see him.

BritishHobo

They've announced there'll be new show announcements every Saturday in Feb, so a load of new shows have gone up today. There seems to be way more WiP shows this time, I guess because people are gearing up for the Fringe to be back to normal in summer? I've no idea how it was handled last year.

paruses

I thought there were a lot more wip shows. Also seems to be female dominated lineup. I think you can see old programmes online so might idly see if the balance has shifted at all.

Still haven't got anything booked but did see the announcement so definitely getting something going once it comes out. I am so shit at committing to things.

Lots of new gigs on sale, including an Acaster work in progress - which is great news seeing as he hinted that Cold Lasagne would be his last show.

BritishHobo

Sam Nicoresti tickets out as well. DONE.

Tom from Sam and Tom also has tickets out for his Peter Fleming character - I've got tickets for Rosie Jones at the same time so sadly can't see it, but I'd urge other people to give it a try. He plays this sort of weird, haunted bloke who was prolific making children's TV in the eighties, but is now out in the cold, obsessed with his own legacy. There's no LOLPAEDO Savile edginess, it's all affectionate but wistful nostalgia for a lost time, like watching an old fuzzy VHS tape. I saw him in the same audience as Stewart Lee last festival (in the tiny shed by the pizzeria), and Lee later absolutely raved about the show, saying it's exactly the kind of thing that makes him love Mach Fest. BOOK IT.

paruses

Sean Morley and KPM finally booked. Now overwhelmed who else to see but I have a spreadsheet so it's going to be fine.

50/50 on Acaster as I have never got into his stuff. Annoys me for some reason. Am going to watch Repertoire now on Netflix to see how unfair I have been (ooh it's filmed at Y Tabarnacl).

Will have a look at the Tom/Tom and Sam ones - thanks.

BritishHobo

I've got my spreadsheet going as well! I've missed this.

Repertoire is great, but Cold Lasagne Hate Myself 1999 is something really special I think, and well worth a watch. I almost saw it at Machynlleth 2017 but went for Amusical instead. I don't really regret it though as I had a blast at Amusical, and actually some of the best stuff in Cold Lasagne is material that Acaster added in 2019.

Would definitely recommend Sam, with the caveat it's a WiP and I've only ever seen a final show of his. That show was one of the most exciting live comedy experiences I've ever had though.

I think I've picked all my familiar must-sees now (with the exception of The Glang Show and Steffan Alun, if they end up being announced) so after the next two Saturday ticket drops I'll start taking punts on people I've never seen.

Quote from: paruses on February 13, 2022, 02:08:00 PMAm going to watch Repertoire now on Netflix to see how unfair I have been (ooh it's filmed at Y Tabarnacl).

It's brilliant, but I'm certain it wasn't filmed in Mach.

paruses

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on February 13, 2022, 05:28:36 PMIt's brilliant, but I'm certain it wasn't filmed in Mach.

Maybe not - maybe just a Tabarnacl. My viewing got hijacked about 5 mins in so going back to it in the week for a proper watch.

Thinking of Ken Cheng for early Saturday afternoon.

Either Colin Hoult as Anna Mann or Catherine Bohart on Friday at 9.

paruses

@BritishHobo - Steffan Alun is on - Friday 7pm.

Sunil Patel - I was going to see last time but it clashed with something. I see Nick Helm is on too. Have only seen a bit of his stuff and it seems a bit one-note. Am happy to be advised otherwise.

BritishHobo

Cheers for the heads-up @paruses ! Booked in.

I'm realising now that my list of Machynlleth must-sees has gotten so long that I actually have barely any slots left for trying new acts. It's a shame because that's my favourite thing about Mach. Everyone on my instant-book list started out as somebody I took a chance on at Mach. So I'd like to fit one or two in, but also don't want to burn myself out filling every single slot. Hmm.

I would definitely recommend Patel. I saw him in a tiny room a few years back, as all the best shows are, and he had some lovely daft material. Not as familiar with Nick Helm, although I seem to always end up behind him in the drinks tent queue at the Owain Glyndwr centre. I saw his show once, but it was the year of full-slot-burnout, and I'd eaten two full portions of battered sweet-and-sour chicken from the Chinese takeaway in the five minutes before his show started, so I spent the whole hour spaced out and remember essentially nothing.

paruses

No worries. Alun has one other contender on my spreadsheet but thinking of booking him.

Friday at 8 has biggest clashes - really like to see Maggi Noggi (heard Kristoffer on All Killa and he seems sound) but Colin Hout (the agent in Afterlife for all you fans and Anna Mann) and couple names I don't know.

Sunil Patel - saw a clip the other day and loved it. Can imagine he works really well in a small venue. His main contender is Celya Ab.

There's a Welsh show with translation on that looks a lot of fun but is same time as Sean Morley. Pretty cross about that.

James Acaster decision nicely solved as he is unsurprisingly sold out now. I think by Sunday at 9 though I might have stand up fatigue anyway.

paruses

Three Simon Munnery shows just gone up including Alan Parker.

edwardfog

Wish I was going. I'd be on Chris Cantrill and Dan Cook like a shot

Sam Nicoresti is highly recommended. I saw his new show in Leicester and it's already exceptional. First time seeing him solo and I'm instantly a huge fan