Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:44:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Good Song, Terrible Lyrics.

Started by Camp Tramp, December 01, 2021, 08:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chutnut

Quote from: shoulders on December 03, 2021, 05:13:58 PMBut that would undermine the funny joke i made so no, not that

This isn't a joking matter

chutnut

I'm deadly serious about how much I dislike every lyric

Pauline Walnuts

PeterCornelius

"Tonight there's going to be a jailbreak, somewhere in this town." (Thin Lizzy, 'Jailbreak'). Try the jail, Phil?

Quote from: PeterCornelius on December 04, 2021, 11:31:23 AM"Tonight there's going to be a jailbreak, somewhere in this town." (Thin Lizzy, 'Jailbreak'). Try the jail, Phil?
But there is at least one male and one female prison in Dublin, and when you factor in young persons' institutions it widens the net a bit.

Also, I read somewhere (possibly on here) that they were using the term 'jailbreak' as a metaphor for breaking out of the 9-5 routine and going a bit crazy on a Friday night, so really it could have been anywhere in the town.  [/wet blanket]

markburgle

Another Fall one - Jetplane. Unusually playful and interesting piece of latter-day Fall music, used as setting for basically a protracted piece of shit observational comedy about how queuing in airports is annoying

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on December 04, 2021, 11:38:43 AMAlso, I read somewhere (possibly on here) that they were using the term 'jailbreak' as a metaphor for breaking out of the 9-5 routine and going a bit crazy on a Friday night, so really it could have been anywhere in the town.  [/wet blanket]

That would make sense, as if it was literally about breaking out of jail, then the following lyrics...

QuoteSearchlight on my trail
Tonight's the night all systems fail
Hey you good lookin' female
Come here!

...would demonstrate a fairly poor choice of priorities from Phil and co.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on December 04, 2021, 11:38:43 AMBut there is at least one male and one female prison in Dublin, and when you factor in young persons' institutions it widens the net a bit.

Also, I read somewhere (possibly on here) that they were using the term 'jailbreak' as a metaphor for breaking out of the 9-5 routine and going a bit crazy on a Friday night, so really it could have been anywhere in the town.  [/wet blanket]

Was that me? As I was just about to blabber on about that, and possibly imply Stuart Maconie was a bit of a daft racist for thinking a metaphor such as that was beyond a Birmingham born 'Orish songwriter.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on December 04, 2021, 05:21:18 PM...would demonstrate a fairly poor choice of priorities from Phil and co.

But he also says

Tonight there's gonna trouble
I'm gonna find myself in
Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak
So woman stay with a friend
You know it's safer

The more you look, eh?

pigamus

Quote from: PeterCornelius on December 04, 2021, 11:31:23 AM"Tonight there's going to be a jailbreak, somewhere in this town." (Thin Lizzy, 'Jailbreak'). Try the jail, Phil?

Police stations and courts also have jail cells though don't they?

Mr Banlon

It's going to be the jail he's in, as it's him in his crew breaking out.
He's grassed himself up there.
"Me and the boys are breaking out of prison tonight, but I can't tell you where or when."
"Is it this prison you're breaking out of later ?"
"I can't tell you......it's a secret."

PeterCornelius

Thanks guys - I hadn't considered these interpretations or the possibility that there might be other institutions used to detain offenders in the same town.

However, this lyric is intriguing because it suggests that Phil and his fellow miscreants may not actually have been in the pokey when it all kicked off:

"See, me and the boys don't like it/So we're getting up and going down"

easytarget

Quote from: Elvis Costello and His AttractionsSome of my friends sit around every evening
And they worry about the times ahead
But everybody else is overwhelmed by indifference
And the promise of an early bed
He's usually a master at this but... yikes.

Quote from: boki on December 02, 2021, 08:04:42 PMAnyway, here's Wonderwall...

Ok, we can't include Oasis otherwise we can't reasonably include anybody else.

boki

Video Game Fan 2000

I thought Jailbreak was an attempted sci-fi concept album and the "jailbreak" in the title track refered to rebels escaping psychic control or some shit. I had a cd version that explained the plot.

The Boys Are Back In Space Town

Brundle-Fly

Isn't it about now we hoarily start dissecting the lyrics of The Jam's Down In A Tube Station At Midnight asking why Paul Weller's partner is setting the table to eat a curry and to drink sparkling wine at that time of in the morning?

Video Game Fan 2000

It's we don't need ANY education you moping old hippies.

Most of the best Black Sabbath songs have dire lyrics.

Jim_MacLaine

The Pearlfishers I was a Cowboy contains this gem:

"spilling my youth out in tissues on warm afternoons"

I recommend The Vampires of Camelon from the same album. It contains no lyrics.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on December 30, 2021, 10:14:00 PMMost of the best Black Sabbath songs have dire lyrics.

Rhyming masses with masses. Brilliant, wouldn't have it any other way.

Video Game Fan 2000

I buy what ACDC are selling usually but "Squealer" is too vile for me.

non capisco

Not really a lyric, more of an ad lib I suppose. I really love Prince's Purple Rain outtake 'We Can Fuck' (what's this one about, Prince?) I reckon it's as good as anything on the actual album and only surfaced on the reissue after he was dead and gone. It's one of his seven-odd minute epics that has an amazing crescendo towards the end that layers on-pitch gospel screaming, horny spoken word proselytizing, banks of gorgeous 80s synth sounds, backing harmonies all singing this cool as hell wordless hook, all constantly building and building in an aural replication of a phenomenal sexual experience. Then when it reaches a climax and cuts  back to the bare bones backing track Prince ad libs "Oh, baby, that was excellent." It always reminds me of Alan Partridge saying "That was classic intercourse." which was probably not the vibe he was going for.

pupshaw

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 30, 2021, 07:07:05 PMIsn't it about now we hoarily start dissecting the lyrics of The Jam's Down In A Tube Station At Midnight asking why Paul Weller's partner is setting the table to eat a curry and to drink sparkling wine at that time of in the morning?

Also, how did the muggers know where he lived?

The Culture Bunker

I suppose we can excuse a bit of it by noting the narrator had just taken a somewhat severe kicking and may be a tad delirious, hence unwarranted panic over his wife.

As for the time/dinner oddness, maybe he took his beating earlier in the night and it was midnight when he regains consciousness?

McChesney Duntz

And the muggers presumably made off with his wallet as well.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on January 01, 2022, 06:57:29 PMAnd the muggers presumably made off with his wallet as well.
I did think that, but wasn't sure whether anyone in 1978 would have anything in their wallet with their address on - I mean, I don't now.

sutin

Almost all Suede songs have absolutely awful lyrics.

Kankurette

She live in a house! She stupid as a mouse!

Crystal is a tune, but 'here comes love, it's like honey/you can't buy it with money'? Shut up, Bernard.

phantom_power

Brought up by the latest Chart Music podcast, lots of T-Rex bangers have ridiculous lyrics

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on December 31, 2021, 12:57:37 AMRhyming masses with masses. Brilliant, wouldn't have it any other way.

MOTHER GOOSE IS CALLING ME BACK TO HER SILVER WOMB

fits on an album where you can see a bloke's yellowing y fronts under his red tights on the cover doesn't it.

and yet Sabotage is fucking mega