Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:26:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

People getting bullied on a panel show ...

Started by EggsLikeABird, December 01, 2021, 11:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EggsLikeABird

Just seen a clip from 8 out of 10 Cats (episode 6 series 1), where Iain Lee is just eaten up by Sean Lock the whole episode. At one point he simply tells him well "You dont know fucking everything do you?" during one of the questions (he's on his team.) Dave Spikey gets a dig in as well, when the buzzer goes and Jimmy says "Iain Lee" and Spikey replies "is it?" followed by "go on then." Really awkward. Although, Lee was hacky and nervous and his jokes and comments were rubbish, it was still hard to watch.

Any other examples of this? The 90s must have been filled with them.

Mobius

I think Iain said on an episode of Buxton or Herring's podcast that Jimmy Carr actually rang him to apologise for that a few days later.

Lock was also a prick to Rhys Thomas on 8 Out Of 10 Cats, and I think on an old Shooting Stars or Buzzcocks episode too.

Loved Sean Lock, but could definitely be a cunt at times.

Hex Triplet

Quote from: EggsLikeABird on December 01, 2021, 11:13:29 PMJust seen a clip from 8 out of 10 Cats (episode 6 series 1), where Iain Lee is just eaten up by Sean Lock the whole episode. At one point he simply tells him well "You dont know fucking everything do you?" during one of the questions (he's on his team.) Dave Spikey gets a dig in as well, when the buzzer goes and Jimmy says "Iain Lee" and Spikey replies "is it?" followed by "go on then." Really awkward.

Just watched this and think you're reading way too much into it. There's a minor argument about what a loofah is (which Iain Lee is wrong about anyway), and then later, the question is something like "what is the most common female fantasy?" - Lee buzzes in, Carr says "Iain Lee", Spikey says "Is it?". Hardly "bullying", considering some of the clips of Mark Lamarr on Buzzcocks that usually get brought up in these threads.

Cold Meat Platter

It's probably pretty hard to know because of editing. Any conflict will be played up.

EggsLikeABird

Quote from: Hex Triplet on December 02, 2021, 12:04:30 AMJust watched this and think you're reading way too much into it. There's a minor argument about what a loofah is (which Iain Lee is wrong about anyway), and then later, the question is something like "what is the most common female fantasy?" - Lee buzzes in, Carr says "Iain Lee", Spikey says "Is it?". Hardly "bullying", considering some of the clips of Mark Lamarr on Buzzcocks that usually get brought up in these threads.
Apparently Jimmy Carr called Lee the following day and apologised for the behaviour of the pair of them. It got even nastier before the edit.

Cloud

I thought this was going to be about Paul Merton being "egg and chips" in that "what food do you think they are" thing on HIGHFY the other day

Quote from: EggsLikeABird on December 02, 2021, 01:00:11 AMApparently Jimmy Carr called Lee the following day and apologised for the behaviour of the pair of them. It got even nastier before the edit.

If that is true, I imagine that's more Jimmy Carr insuring himself against the very remote possibility of Iain Lee becoming a somebody one day. Hate to lose a potential showbiz friend over something someone else did.

Isn't this how all of Iain Lee's stories go anyway. People were very mean to him (the substance of it is never available for our eyes to see), it isn't his fault and actually everyone felt sorry for him because it was so unwarranted

shlug

Almost any Buzzcocks episode from the Amstell and Lamarr days.

It's strange watching old episodes now where the vitriol would seem out of place and a bit uncomfortable on today's panel shows. Most people I feel took it in good humour (bar obviously exceptions like Preston) and it produced some genuinely funny moments but obviously bits like the line-up was cruel and nasty even for back then.

That being said, when Amstell laid bare Noel Fielding's flimsy whimsy for all that it is/was was a particular highlight for me;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWmNTtJ-OPI

up_the_hampipe

While I don't approve of all the behaviour, unless warranted, the more unpredictable and chaotic atmosphere certainly made panel shows a million times more interesting than they are today. Just a bunch of pals sharing inside jokes now. Load of arse.

shlug

When you have newer panel shows created by agencies specifically for giving their clients air time it's no wonder really.

I'm glad we don't have the open venom and contempt like we had with the line ups on Buzzcocks anymore but you have to question whether the taming of panel shows has enabled room for serial careerists like Boris Johnson to use the likes of HIGNFY as his own PR stepping stone into public acceptance.

Or worse yet, Nina Conti.

Captain Z

Boris Johnson guest-hosted HIGNFY between 2002-2006, coinciding with panel shows' most vitriolic phases.

This topic has come up several times in recent years and it's only latterly that I recall just how much I hated 'celebrity culture' during those years. So many outlets seemed to sycophantically suck up to it that it was such a relief to see the likes of NMTB, Bo Selcta! and Popworld take celebs down a peg or two. Of course, in light of the troubles in the world today it seems much less import and more mean spirited now.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Captain Z on December 02, 2021, 08:43:18 PMBoris Johnson guest-hosted HIGNFY between 2002-2006, coinciding with panel shows' most vitriolic phases.

This topic has come up several times in recent years and it's only latterly that I recall just how much I hated 'celebrity culture' during those years. So many outlets seemed to sycophantically suck up to it that it was such a relief to see the likes of NMTB, Bo Selcta! and Popworld take celebs down a peg or two. Of course, in light of the troubles in the world today it seems much less import and more mean spirited now.

It was never important in the grand scheme of things, but we do need some shows to puncture the celebrity love-ins. A lot of panel shows are indistinguishable in tone from chat shows now.

JesusAndYourBush

Was it bullying when the 'Ordinary Boys' guy was read extracts of his thick girlfriends book until he stormed off of Buzzcocks, or was he just being an oversensitive arse?

Cold Meat Platter

You can't even slag off someone's partner in front of millions of people these days (those days). Snowflakes.

ishantbekeepingit

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on December 03, 2021, 12:16:21 AMWas it bullying when the 'Ordinary Boys' guy was read extracts of his thick girlfriends book until he stormed off of Buzzcocks, or was he just being an oversensitive arse?
Not sure what the "correct" response was supposed to be there.  Go along with it and say "yeah, she is dim, actually"?  Chauvinistically "defend her honour" by clattering Amstell?  Short of eloquently explaining that he knew exactly what they were trying to do and why it made them cunts (which a. wouldn't get left in the edit and b. probably isn't easy to do when you're actually in the thick of the situation), refusing to take part was the best move he could have made (that wouldn't have led to a criminal record).

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on December 03, 2021, 12:19:11 AMYou can't even slag off someone's partner in front of millions of people these days (those days). Snowflakes.

Let's not turn a discussion about boring light entertainment into culture wars bullshit.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on December 03, 2021, 12:16:21 AMWas it bullying when the 'Ordinary Boys' guy was read extracts of his thick girlfriends book until he stormed off of Buzzcocks, or was he just being an oversensitive arse?

Amstell had been doing the 'take a pop at celebs' thing for quite some time by then, I thought by that point he didn't seem to know where to draw the line anymore and pushed the envelope far beyond where he should have. That particular episode was just bullying, far too personal an attack, I did wonder if there was some history between them at the time. It's a shame because Amstell a times did make me laugh with some of his remarks like with Fielding above which wasn't particularly barbed or anything, on the right side of cheeky comment.

Mr_Simnock

Is it any shock neither amstell or lammar don't appear on TV anymore? I've always thought the best and most silent way for the industry to show what they think of you after being a cunt on a show is to make sure you never get the chance to work in TV again.

Captain Z

Post-Buzzcocks, Simon Amstell wrote and starred in two series of his own BBC sitcom Grandma's House which was well-liked by this very forum. He wrote and directed Carnage for the BBC more recently, and is now mainly directing films.

Mr_Simnock

grandma's house wasn't long after he finished with buzzcocks, since then his TV work has been very thin on the ground for almost a decade. I can only find 2 director credits on IMDB, one for a film that made less than $100,000 at the box office.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 03, 2021, 12:30:52 AMLet's not turn a discussion about boring light entertainment into culture wars bullshit.
Eh?

Virgo76

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on December 03, 2021, 02:08:19 AMgrandma's house wasn't long after he finished with buzzcocks, since then his TV work has been very thin on the ground for almost a decade. I can only find 2 director credits on IMDB, one for a film that made less than $100,000 at the box office.

Amstell left Buzzcocks in 2006. He wrote and starred in Grandma's House in 2010 and 2012. But yes - not very many actual TV appearances since them, especially when compared to the previous decade. He narrated Carnage which he wrote in 2017 and which was well-received and did a Netflix special in 2019. He has written and directed a few things.
Carnage was good. Not sure if he's really living up to his early promise though. He should follow Stewart Lee's advice to Adam Buxton and "do a thing." Easier said than done though.

chveik

grandma's house is good, he should do more of this shit

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on December 03, 2021, 12:38:06 AMIs it any shock neither amstell or lammar don't appear on TV anymore? I've always thought the best and most silent way for the industry to show what they think of you after being a cunt on a show is to make sure you never get the chance to work in TV again.

'The industry' is full of horrendous cunts. The idea that they would band together to silently end the career of a man who sarcastically read some banal quotes out loud (presumably a decision agreed upon by a whole production team) - and that this is the 'best' course of action under these circumstances - is simultaneously chilling and laughable.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: ishantbekeepingit on December 03, 2021, 12:29:08 AMNot sure what the "correct" response was supposed to be there.  Go along with it and say "yeah, she is dim, actually"?  Chauvinistically "defend her honour" by clattering Amstell?  Short of eloquently explaining that he knew exactly what they were trying to do and why it made them cunts (which a. wouldn't get left in the edit and b. probably isn't easy to do when you're actually in the thick of the situation), refusing to take part was the best move he could have made (that wouldn't have led to a criminal record).
The usual response seems to be to laugh along, trade some banter, and wait for Amstel to run out of jokes on his cards. Most Christians get less upset when you mock the Holy Scriptures than Preston did with what was purely a cynical cash-in book of no literary or other value.

Was there actually anyone who got the better of Amstel? I've a feeling some either mobilised audience sympathy or got a bigger laugh, but it helps if people actually like you.

DrGreggles

Preston had been on before though, so it's not as if he wasn't aware of what sort of show it was.
It always felt staged to me.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on December 03, 2021, 03:36:15 PMWas there actually anyone who got the better of Amstel? I've a feeling some either mobilised audience sympathy or got a bigger laugh, but it helps if people actually like you.

I think Mel C managed to be able to turn some of his insults back on him. Although I'm going from hazy memory from when it was first aired.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on December 03, 2021, 12:18:14 PM'The industry' is full of horrendous cunts. The idea that they would band together to silently end the career of a man who sarcastically read some banal quotes out loud (presumably a decision agreed upon by a whole production team) - and that this is the 'best' course of action under these circumstances - is simultaneously chilling and laughable.

Plenty people have had their careers cut off on TV after being either difficult to work with or a bit shit with staff. It all depends on who you piss off and how important you are within the industry. Saville for example got away with his crimes because he targeted people who found they weren't believed and got supressed by his contacts (amongst other things). I can imagine how many celebs Amstell must have pissed off during NMTB and for them to say behind the scenes, won't be working with him again.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on December 03, 2021, 03:36:15 PMThe usual response seems to be to laugh along, trade some banter, and wait for Amstel to run out of jokes on his cards. Most Christians get less upset when you mock the Holy Scriptures than Preston did with what was purely a cynical cash-in book of no literary or other value.

The marriage was a cynical cash-in as well.