Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:36:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Strangest Place You've seen a Comedy Gig?

Started by Mobius, December 02, 2021, 11:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

I just remembered many years ago when I lived in England going to a few comedy gigs called 'laughterinoddplaces' and I saw Richard Herring and others in the comedy critic Bruce Dessau's living room.

There was another gig they did was at some museum in London, and We Are Klang was there amongst others.

There was others I didn't go to, I think they did one in a launderette once.

Have you guys watched any standup or comedy shows in peculiar places?

Cold Meat Platter

idunnosomename

suppose Peter Kay with Dave Spikey opening in the Blackpool Tower Circus in 2000. it really isn't a venue that gets used for much other than circuses (though if you don't know, it's stuck right between the legs of the tower. that it was from "The Top of the Tower" was his little joke he came out to tell us about before he started his set)

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Mobius on December 02, 2021, 11:09:00 PMThere was another gig they did was at some museum in London, and We Are Klang was there amongst others.

"Some museum in London"? Sir, that was The Museum of London! I was at that one, saw Herring doing a bit of Hitler Moustache (the "actually, you're more racist than the racists, aaahhhh" bit), can't remember who else was there.

peteprodge

Well, anybody who's seen a free gig at the Edinburgh Fringe can cite all manner of strange places. Just about every square inch of Edinburgh gets turned into a venue at some point. Any corner of an otherwise-unused upstairs cupboard-sized area will be flogged as a viable place for entertainment. Won't be long before we witness an improv group on a window sill at this rate.

I've performed stand-up on a parked shuttle bus, in Derby city centre at about 12noon on a Saturday, as part of some town festival. (Lots of mums turned up with kids, so I had to replace my swears with less offensive words and that experience actually made my comedy a lot better.) During last summer, when lockdown had eased a bit, I even took an open spot at a public park in Bedford town centre. No mics or PA or anything, but got a surprisingly good reception and the audience number was about 25, which, compared to a typical central London open spot gig, is approximately 25 times bigger.

As a kid, I remember at some holiday camp, some daft clown-y variety show at the theatre and then at some point, the show's main characters (one of whom was 'Silly Billy') led us all OUT of the theatre and into the streets for a little march. It felt like pure anarchy to the 7-year-old me, but probably took its inspiration from when kids TV programmes would burst out of their own studios and do something daft in the car park or something.

Brundle-Fly

Followed Arthur Smith playing a round of golf while doing his show. In fact, my favourite ever Edinburgh show. '98, I think.

Brundle-Fly

Another great Ed Fringe one was a huge truck made to look like a space rocket on the outside and in. I think it was a Flash Gordon parody. It drove up Arthur's Seat, and also raised the back of the lorry as if to empty the load, so it felt like we the imaginary crew were taking off into space. Mike Haley's show, if I recall.

dissolute ocelot

At the Edinburgh Fringe one year, cabaret artiste Tomas "Craptacular" Ford led us into the gents toilets of the Apex Grassmarket and performed an Enrique Iglesias song. They were some of the nicer toilets on the Fringe.

EDIT: I think one year someone tried to do a comedy show at the top of famous Edinburgh hill Arthur's Seat. I never saw it, but there were reputedly all kinds of obvious problems.

chveik