Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:16:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Derek: The Special (Xmas Watchalong)

Started by Noodle Lizard, December 04, 2021, 09:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easytarget

I really hope American production companies aren't planning on spinning this shit into gold.

Action Fish

easytarget

Oh, they dropped the jokes and spent (what felt like 15 minutes) getting all serious about The Serious Subject of Alcoholism. IT'S LIKE THE END OF BLACKADDER GOES FORTH YOU GUYS.

Ah, soundtrack has moved from sad-piano to that worthy singer-songwriter stuff that make up broadsheets' Album of the Year lists.

Christ. 

Action Fish

frajer

Kev expresses suicidal thoughts, Kerry Godliman calls him a selfish cunt. Genuinely loathe the awful morality that Gervais makes all of his characters dictate.

And what the fuck was that tangent about Godliman willing to be arrested for ending the life of someone who's suffering? Deleted subplot where she euthanises Derek?

Jackson K Pollock

The pudding song.

I'm already regretting this.

easytarget

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on December 22, 2021, 10:37:27 PMThe pudding song.

I'm already regretting this.

I saw a thing on Twitter this year, I think it works for this [clears throat] "oh you sweet summer child"

easytarget

There's another FIFTEEN minutes to go. I wonder how are they going to stretch this out without watering down the quality?

Ferris

Oh fuck was this today? What episode are we watching?

easytarget

Quote from: Ferris on December 22, 2021, 10:45:17 PMOh fuck was this today? What episode are we watching?
I'm taking a guess that it doesn't fucking matter.

easytarget

Time has slowed to a crawl. You could use this program to live forever. But it wouldn't be worth it.

Action Fish

Trying to work out why I'm enjoying it more now and I think it's because the disco lights and movement add some much needed visual interest.

Jackson K Pollock

Few quick thoughts from the first 15 minutes:

The difference between the pilot (which I accidentally watched the first 10 minutes of) and this, is that now they don't even pretend that the old people have names/personalities/distinct characters  etc.

——-

Brett Goldstein may be a golden globe winning megastar now, but he's dreadful in this, isn't he? Can it just be the script?

——-

Derek goes on a weird nonsensical rant about the early bird oversleeping and missing the worm and nobody responds, and he looks straight down the camera and says "It's despicable in here sometimes", giving me my first belly laugh of the show.

It's just utterly, utterly bizarre!

Derek's meant to be a kindly, idiot savant who in return people indulge and treat with good humour... But the one time they're not in the mood for his shenanigans he goes off on them like that and... he's meant to be the baby face?

It reminds me of that Twilight Zone where they have to do everything the spoiled kid says or he'll turn turn into a monster and destroy the town!

—-

Tabard saying there's "nothing she can do" about the alcoholic, homeless Kev sharing a bed with the old lady. Um? I'm pretty sure you have a duty of care to protect her, actually. But that would require more than the 5 minutes of research that Gervais put into writing this show. There would be all manner of safeguarding meetings...

easytarget

OH FUCK YOU THERE ARE OUTTAKES AT THE END

I was wrong, they were showing us their best

They're just Gervais doing his irritating laugh, like they're fucking staged.

frajer

Cor it's like the credits of a Jackie Chan film where you see all the stunts gone wrong, this. Except Chan doesn't just mildly stumble and then laugh like a hyena when someone misses their mark.

Jackson K Pollock

"Joan always said 'If you want to go fast, go alone, if you want to go far, go together'"

Confirmed: the Derek and Afterlife universes are one and the same! Can't wait for the inevitable crossover episode.

Jackson K Pollock

Quote from: easytarget on December 22, 2021, 10:52:03 PMTime has slowed to a crawl. You could use this program to live forever. But it wouldn't be worth it.

You can say that again. Somehow I've STILL got another 20 minutes left.

Can't believe I didn't think of it before, but this really is like the "It's a Good Life" episode of The Twilight Zone.

—-

EDIT: Quite like how faux Pilkington basically has exactly the same lines as Pilkington would've had. He even looks like a younger, better looking Pilkington, with a full head of hair.

EDIT 2: Is there any reason why Goldstein would have a guy he not only can barely tolerate, but also barely knows as his best man? Does he literally have no life at all outside of the confines of this show, a la The Truman Show?

Heavily pregnant Tabard forced to take homeless Kev back into the home because Derek will be displeased. Forced to let Kev give her away at her own wedding because (and I quote) "Derek always knows best"...

TommyTurnips

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on December 22, 2021, 10:57:25 PMBrett Goldstein may be a golden globe winning megastar now, but he's dreadful in this, isn't he? Can it just be the script?

Had to do a Google search there to work out that you were referring to the character of "Merchant Navy" or "Stubble" to his friends. Known for having absolutely no personality and for the time he went off to join the merchant navy and came back five minutes later. Oh and when he got married his best man was his colleague from the bin man job that he had only just started. Once again, no real point to this post, just remembering the madness.

Ferris

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on December 22, 2021, 11:08:06 PM"Joan always said 'If you want to go fast, go alone, if you want to go far, go together'"

Confirmed: the Derek and Afterlife universes are one and the same! Can't wait for the inevitable crossover episode.

Fuck me that's an actual lyrics from that After Life dog egg of a song!

Jackson K Pollock

They called the baby Derek.

They called the baby Derek.

They don't like the name Derek.

BUT THEY CALLED THE BABY DEREK.

This programmes has broken me.

Noodle Lizard

So sorry I had to miss this. Perhaps we could do a retry for NYE? Or is it done? It's done, isn't it?

easytarget

I think some more hate-watchalongs would be fun.

We could do Extras, his various shitty standup specials, oh or that film he made where David Brent goes on the road and pisses on his (questionable) legacy?

I suppose it doesn't *have* to be Gervais, I'm giving the new Jimmy Carr stand up a spin at the moment and it would be more fun if other nerds were helping me slag it off.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on December 22, 2021, 11:40:42 PMThis really is like the "It's a Good Life" episode of The Twilight Zone.

TommyTurnips

Quote from: easytarget on December 27, 2021, 08:32:50 PMoh or that film he made where David Brent goes on the road and pisses on his (questionable) legacy

I went and saw that at the cinema. I knew it was going to be shit before I saw it but I went anyway out of love for the office. It didn't even feature a single cameo by anyone else from the office. Did Gervais somehow manage to piss off everyone he worked with on that show or did he do that deliberately I wonder. Anyway, it flopped big time. It cost 10 million to make and only made 3.5 million at the box office.

Ferris

Quote from: TommyTurnips on December 28, 2021, 03:10:47 AMI went and saw that at the cinema. I knew it was going to be shit before I saw it but I went anyway out of love for the office. It didn't even feature a single cameo by anyone else from the office. Did Gervais somehow manage to piss off everyone he worked with on that show or did he do that deliberately I wonder. Anyway, it flopped big time. It cost 10 million to make and only made 3.5 million at the box office.

I suspect everyone else went "err don't think anybody wants this film mate, I'll pass on playing a character from 15 years ago, ok cheers". Turns out they were right.

Can't be arsed to search, but I bet there's a million interviews with Brent Gervais claiming it's the best thing he's ever done. He might even believe it as he's saying it.

Edit: here's a case in point. The same time Brent Gervais was putting this dog turd together, Mackenzie Crook was writing season 3 of the absolutely brilliant Detectorists.

TommyTurnips

Quote from: Ferris on December 28, 2021, 03:14:24 AMI suspect everyone else went "err don't think anybody wants this film mate, I'll pass on playing a character from 15 years ago, ok cheers". Turns out they were right.

I like to imagine that the actor who played Big Keith would have been up for it. I saw him appear in that afterlife trailer so he likely would have been down to appear as Keith in the place where Brent works.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Yesterday I watched Four Lives, a new BBC factual drama in which Stephen Merchant plays the serial killer Stephen Port. I know that sounds like an utterly absurd piece of casting, as well as a potentially misguided attempt by a comedian to show off their serious acting chops, but it and he are actually very good.

It's a sensitive, respectful and conscientious piece of work in which Merchant delivers an understated performance; he's genuinely disturbing in a 'banality of evil' way.

I bring this up as yet another example of one of Gervais' old cohorts branching out and doing something of artistic merit. The post-Gervais careers of Merchant, Crook, Freeman and to a lesser extent Pilkington have been more interesting and varied than anything the man himself has churned out on his own. Why it's almost as if they have more talent.

Gervais must know this, right? He would never dream of acknowledging his former colleagues, but I bet he's aware of all the good stuff they've done without him.

Catalogue Trousers

Hey, but...

We all likes puppies
We all likes puppies
We all likes puppies
Dogs an'that.

frajer

Sometimes
when the air is fair
and the wind blows strong
and the ages echo with memories of things long since past into glory
Sometimes!