Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:20:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best Mechanics

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, December 05, 2021, 05:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I've had my issues with the Dishonored games, but I'll concede using the Blink ability to zip about all over the place can be somewhat enjoyable.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: C_Larence on December 07, 2021, 11:01:30 AMRewinding time in the Prince of Persia games.
That was obviously the big selling point, but I reckon the best part of Sands of Time was just how well the character controlled. Even something as seemingly simple as using a ladder was implemented really well - it didn't fart you about with having to be on the right side of it.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: bgmnts on December 06, 2021, 01:09:05 AMMax Payne BulletTime (TM?)
Boring fucking fact really but it's not actually trademarked by Remedy/Rockstar, it's trademarked by Warner Bros, whom trademarked the term after the first Matrix came out, despite Max Payne having the feature integrated before the Matrix was even announced-- it came out after though, of course. R*/Remedy didn't have to pay to use the term though because of this, they just had to acknowledge that it was a trademark of WB and used with permission (it's in the credits of all three MP games). This is also why very few other games call it "Bullet Time".

Crenners

MGSV

Record an enemy soldier taking a shit on your dictaphone and later hide in the bogs from the same enemy and play the audio of him taking a shit to throw him off your scent.

The parkour mechanics in brink. Probably stolen and made better since, but that was so much fun vaulting over things and the fluid way it let you chuck yourself around the map to get to the place you needed to be.
Discovering the best places on each map where you were hidden but still in range to wirelessly hack their equipment. That was such a great feeling when you ninja'd your way in there and hid and they're running all over like headless chickens trying to find what's happening "they're hacking! There's nobody here! How are they doing thiiiiiis?!"

On a similar note, the skating mechanics with Lúcio in overwatch. So much fun skating around the maps once you got the technique down.

The Crumb

Shock Rifle comboing in Unreal Tournament

Posture breaking and deathblows in Sekiro

Cutting off an enemies arm and using it as a club in Severance:Blade of Darkness.

BeardFaceMan

Those chaps that used to spray paint your car for you in GTA when you were trying to get rid of the rozzers.

seepage

It's probably irrational, since they rarely, if ever, make that big a difference to the overall experience, but I find them such a drag. I know having a choice of how to play is meant to be good, but weighing up all the options just feels like work. "Hmmm. If I put 2 points into this skill, I can jump a foot higher. Then again, If I can stick with this one for 4 points, I'll be able to shoot fireballs out of my face every ten minutes.

I get a sinking feeling whenever I start a game and it presents me with one. Like when someone recommends a telly show, but then you look on netflix and it has 100 episodes and they're all an hour long.

I vastly prefer the Zeldoidvania way of doing things.

madhair60

A second Claude post I agree with. I think I only like them in more incremental things like Grim Dawn, where just making the number go up a bit is quite rewarding. Otherwise I'm stuck like with something like Dying Light where I think, well, if I had all these skills now, the game would be fun.

The Crumb

Trying not to cum on those online sex games. I hope to master it one day!

madhair60

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 13, 2021, 12:00:55 PMIn this thread, or ever?

In a couple of days! It's quite the turnaround because normally I print out all your posts and wipe my arsehole with them

Beware of paper cuts. I can be a right pain in the arse.

Fisticuffs in the Batman Arkham series.

It's a proper flow state type of thing. The only thing between you and a perfect combo is your own skill - no unfair janky fuckups here.

Some people don't like it, but some people love the smell of farts. It really makes you think.

Pink Gregory

Quick Time Events

lolololololololololololol

Pink Gregory

I think the wheel/circle selection is an underrated quality of life improvement.

I never really played PC shooters/immersive sims that much (Deus Ex, basically) so I'm not used to finding a number key without looking down.

Currently playing Doom 64 on the Switch (which is otherwise good) and having to cycle through a linear series of guns fuckin suuuuuuucks, especially under pressure.

Yeah, I remember trying to play the early serious sam games on console and it's just a none starter.
The game is all about crowd control and the fun is in constantly switching weapons and using the right tool for the job depending on the scenario and which enemies you're facing.
On console, I was normally just like "oh, fuck it, I'll just use the effing shotgun"

Like you say, spending 5 second cycling through the weapons and missing the one you needed and then the baddy is already chewing your face off. Load of fucking bollocks.
The radial weapon select wheel, it's not the most elegant of solutions, the way they have to slow the action down, but it's a lot better than nothing.

Quote from: Pink Gregory on December 17, 2021, 05:59:45 PMI'm not used to finding a number key without looking down.

Your bird finger is resting on "W" and your pointy finger on "D", so it's easy from there, you move your middle finger up and hit "2", move it slightly right for "3", left for "1", D finger for 4 and five.
You can rebind the keys, you don't have to use the numbers. Having a button set to "last used weapon" is always a good idea too.

Pink Gregory

True, but more than 3 options and I'm a bit lost.

I think I tried mapping them to the numpad before but I don't think it made much of a difference.

Your fingers are nowhere near the numpad, you mad lad! :D Were you taking your hand off mouse to change weapon?

Anyway, yeah, I agree, best to keep it simple. No need to have like ten weapons or something, that's just daft.

"Bullet sealing" is a great mechanic. Some shmups that encourage aggressive, risky play will have this mechanic where if you're quick enough and get right up in an enemies grille, they'll shit their pants and forget to shoot any bullets so there's a risk reward of fucking up the timing and getting chinned or just bouncing from baddy to baddy absolutely headbutting the crap out of them before they've even tied their laces.

Pink Gregory

I think I might have been playing Blood, but entirely on the keyboard because I didn't know it had mouselook (I know, mental).

greenman

Grenade use in the halflife TFC mod. The strandard explosive ones had the ability to prime them so avoided the typical spam use and made planning a big part of any offensive move meaning attack/defence became more of a game of cat and mouse. Concussion grenades allowing for big jumps really was fundamental to a lot of the mechanics of the way the game was played at a high level.

One I'm supprised wasnt used more back in the day is the double jump in the SNES version of Ghouls and Ghosts, maybe didnt make a lot of logical sense but I;d say gave quite a bit more of a sense of control and tactics to the platforming,

bgmnts

Dishonoured 2's time machine thingy that could take you back and forth between the past and present. Really fun way to solve puzzles and explore.

Zetetic

And the visual effects around it are the right level of showiness. (It hadn't occured to me, until someone else pointed out, that it's not only challenging to build an interesting level around, but also nightmarish to build something where you're having to effectively consider two levels' rendering "budgets" at once bu that doesn't look weirdly underdecorated.)

Dex Sawash

All Surrogate

Fred with tires, of course.

Pink Gregory

I'm not at all happy about how oily his cuffs might be