Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:14:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Matrix Resurrections

Started by Bad Ambassador, December 06, 2021, 09:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avril Lavigne

Forgot to quote the goy calling it "fucking thick cunt dogshit" but that's who I was replying to xxx

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Pinball on December 26, 2021, 12:07:13 PMThe more I analyse this film the slightly better it gets. I think it will grow on me, particularly when a 4K disc is released.

I watched it again over Xmas and came away liking it slightly more. The fights especially were a bit better the second time around - watching closely they were actually doing decent moves and combinations of moves a lot of the time, they just weren't pushed to the foreground and filmed in a "check this shit out" way like in the previous films. Even the bit at the end where they
Spoiler alert
run into a building and go up onto the roof
[close]
that had stuck me as being pretty stupid made more sense as
Spoiler alert
the big threat was from bots that were dive-bombing them, so even though going onto a roof meant they were cornered at least they were getting away from a threat
[close]

It did also remind me that Morpheus is always a totally pointless character from the second Neo wakes up - he worked in the first film because they turned him into a Maguffin they had to retrieve and in the second he got badass fights because Neo was too overpowered to bother with regular agents, but in the third film he literally does nothing and in this one once Neo wakes up he slowly recedes into the background yet again.

Replies From View

Must admit I groaned when they stood in that lobby space.  And then they went on the roof and the Beatles weren't even there performing Get Back.

Thursday

Quote from: Crenners on December 26, 2021, 07:44:34 PMThis sounds, and I don't mean to be unkind to anyone's who enjoyed it, absolutely fucking thick cunt dogshit.

Nah it was good. It's actually improved the more I've read some other people's thoughts. Will need to watch it again.

I'm one of those people who like The Last Jedi though, so yeah it definitely feels like it's going to fall along those lines.

Crenners

Quote from: Thursday on December 27, 2021, 08:57:59 AMNah it was good. It's actually improved the more I've read some other people's thoughts. Will need to watch it again.

I'm one of those people who like The Last Jedi though, so yeah it definitely feels like it's going to fall along those lines.

I've not seen that but I think I understand/remember some talk about it following in familiar steps.

Just to be clear and fair to the film, I'm not judging the Matrix Resurrections film itself, more that the descriptions make it sound quite embarrassing. I also find anything that breaks the fourth wall in such a self-aware way cringeworthy. I can't bear nods to the fans or anything like that. I thought the dialogue in that PS5 demo thing was excruciating but I assumed it was just typical games writing. It actually sounds like they've nailed the tone of the film.

Nevertheless, if you like it, I will watch it and I will withhold judgement. Cheers.

Sonny_Jim

I kinda described it badly, it's not really fourth wall breaking and reading other peoples thoughts I've realised that maybe I was reading too much into certain parts.  Like I said originally, was expecting a lot more eye-rolling than I actually experienced.

Like the whole 'Tiffany' thing, I assumed it was a sly dig via TIF (Trans Identified Female), a derogatory term TERFs use for trans men.  But on reflection it's just because Tiffany is a shit name, isn't it?

Must stop reading the Glinner threads, it's baking my brain.

Replies From View

Why is Tiffany "just a shit name"?

It doesn't stand out as such a shit name, and so different to "Trinity", that you'd turn around to whoever named you Tiffany and make some kind of snidey remark about how it tops off all the other shit things they'd done to you.  Or however it was done in the film; something like:  "Tiffany?!  Seriously??"
"[smirking] Yep.  Pwned."

Considering the Chad thing I have to assume there's something more to Tiffany because it simply isn't a shit enough name on its own terms.

Crenners

I just think fundamentally they're terrible writers (albeit it's only Lana here). I rewatched the original film recently and cringed my nuts inside out at the dialogue. The action scenes and special effects are still brilliantly effective and hit the spot in a cheesy way but there's so much outside of that which is embarrassing to watch but particularly what the characters say and how the actors say it.

Custard

I do think this film only really exists as the Wachowskis didn't want the planned remake to happen.

When you think about it does this film really need to exist? Does it really add anything to the series?

I know, money money money. And least it tries to do something different in parts, but it just feels a bit empty and pointless

That said, I'll no doubt rewatch it before I have to crawl back to walk

Sonny_Jim

Oh definitely they didn't want to make it, they say as much in the film.  I also had the same experience where I rewatched the first movie and yep, it's cringey and tropey as fuck.  But then, that was the charm, wasn't it?  Same deal with Independance Day, you just get caught up in the fun and forget about the cringe.

WRT Tiffany, doesn't it have this kind of teeny bopper image to it?  Like 80s hair do and neon?

EDIT:  Again I'm reading too much in to it.  It's  because it sounds like Trinity.

Custard

Yeah, I just took it as Doogie Howser trying to think of a girly non-intimidating name for her as a further pisstake, and that's what he landed on

willbo

Quote from: Chairman Yang on December 26, 2021, 07:59:41 AMIt's like a Matrix film about the The Matrix films for people who cared about them but also regret them? No idea.

I haven't seen this yet, but that does sound like Last Jedi.

Thursday

Quote from: Crenners on December 27, 2021, 09:19:02 AMI've not seen that but I think I understand/remember some talk about it following in familiar steps.

Just to be clear and fair to the film, I'm not judging the Matrix Resurrections film itself, more that the descriptions make it sound quite embarrassing. I also find anything that breaks the fourth wall in such a self-aware way cringeworthy. I can't bear nods to the fans or anything like that. I thought the dialogue in that PS5 demo thing was excruciating but I assumed it was just typical games writing. It actually sounds like they've nailed the tone of the film.

Nevertheless, if you like it, I will watch it and I will withhold judgement. Cheers.

I do have bad taste though to be fair

Replies From View

Matrix Reloaded

Quote from: Custard on December 27, 2021, 10:01:15 AMWhen you think about it does this film really need to exist? Does it really add anything to the series?

Matrix Revolutions

Quote from: Custard on December 27, 2021, 10:01:15 AMWhen you think about it does this film really need to exist? Does it really add anything to the series?

Replies From View

The name Tiffany just makes me think of Audrey Hepburn.  I'm having difficulty associating the name with anything or anyone else.  What's the "teeny bopper" association?

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Replies From View on December 27, 2021, 04:54:00 PMThe name Tiffany just makes me think of Audrey Hepburn.  I'm having difficulty associating the name with anything or anyone else.  What's the "teeny bopper" association?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Q3mHyzn78

Custard

Although this is doing pretty well financially, apparent Wachowski isn't keen on doing any more

Quote"No. I didn't ever want to make another Matrix movie. I told everyone for 18 years I didn't want to make another Matrix movie. [Sister and co-director] Lilly told everyone she didn't want to make another Matrix movie. Then I had a tragedy in my life, my parents passed away, and I needed something to help me with the grief. Inventing a story where two people come back to life was healing and comforting and I was non-judgmental, I just wrote it, and I didn't know what I was gonna do with it, and then I read part of the story [to a colleague] and she said, 'Oh, my God, you have to tell this story.'"

Oh, and the IMDB rating has decreased further, to 5.8. Which to be fair, sounds about right

Dex Sawash

I could only watch 5 minutes so it must be a proper film and quite good.

lazyhour

Just realised that Neo is an anagram of (The) One!

Watched this last night. I really enjoyed the silly audacity of the meta stuff at the start, but as soon as Keanu got woken up from the Matrix it was barely better then the sequels and felt like a completely pointless retread. And why did Christina Ricci only get one scene??

4/10

Bad Ambassador

Christina Ricci is playing Jessica Hynes' character from W1A.

Noodle Lizard

I was coming down with a bit of fever when I watched this, so perhaps that influenced my reaction somewhat, but I found it incomprehensible and pretty much pointless. Even the action setpieces were remarkably boring. I can't remember much about it. The younger woman was good. I suppose Lana should be commended for retaining that dated late-90s LA BDSM fashion sense (basically the good guys all dress like they're in Vampire: The Masquerade, the baddies are in suits), but it's all a bit naff really.

A lot of the meta stuff early on really made me cringe. The story going around is that it's actually true Warner Bros would've gone ahead with a Matrix sequel without either of the Wachowskis, as alluded to in the movie, so THANK GOD FOR LANA STEPPING UP - but I'm not sure it's as simple as that. Surely WB would've churned one out long ago if there was nothing holding them back, and I'm not sure anyone was really clamouring for a new Matrix after the sequels (though of course we'll all go and see one). I'd be curious to hear from Lily about all of this, not sure if she's commented yet.

I have had quite enough of Neil Patrick Harris too. He is so ubiquitous that there is absolutely zero dramatic mystery to the man. To make him
Spoiler alert
the big baddie
[close]
seems like an utter waste.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 30, 2021, 11:31:35 PMA lot of the meta stuff early on really made me cringe. The story going around is that it's actually true Warner Bros would've gone ahead with a Matrix sequel without either of the Wachowskis, as alluded to in the movie, so THANK GOD FOR LANA STEPPING UP - but I'm not sure it's as simple as that. Surely WB would've churned one out long ago if there was nothing holding them back, and I'm not sure anyone was really clamouring for a new Matrix after the sequels (though of course we'll all go and see one). I'd be curious to hear from Lily about all of this, not sure if she's commented yet.

I think it wasn't so much that WB thought The Matrix was a vein of untapped gold as it was that the John Wick movies made Keanu Reeves a star once again and suddenly old franchises with him attached were seen as money-makers (which is how we finally got Bill & Ted Face the Music).

Presumably he would have been the first person they contacted about doing a new film and if he said yes then they may not have worried about twisting Lily and / or Lana's arm too hard.

Custard

Yet Reeves seems the type of bloke who wouldn't do it unless at least one of the Wachowskis was attached

The original plan seems to have been a straight up remake. Wasn't Michael B Jordan rumoured to be the new Neo at one point?

A redo will most probably still happen within the next few years, once this film fades from view

Replies From View

Michael Jordon is even older than Keanu Reeves, isn't he?  He was a professional basketballer while Reeves was barely out of his pants

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 30, 2021, 11:31:35 PMA lot of the meta stuff early on really made me cringe. The story going around is that it's actually true Warner Bros would've gone ahead with a Matrix sequel without either of the Wachowskis, as alluded to in the movie, so THANK GOD FOR LANA STEPPING UP - but I'm not sure it's as simple as that. Surely WB would've churned one out long ago if there was nothing holding them back, and I'm not sure anyone was really clamouring for a new Matrix after the sequels (though of course we'll all go and see one). I'd be curious to hear from Lily about all of this, not sure if she's commented yet.

According to this Warners had been trying to come up with a sequel idea for ages, couldn't get the story right, and then Lana turned up with an idea for a new movie - https://www.avclub.com/yes-a-new-matrix-movie-wouldve-happened-eventually-wit-1848276369 - though that's according to one of the producers rather than Lana herself.

phantom_power

I read an interesting article that I can't find now about how the film is a big diss against the original films, which is why the style and colour palette is so generic as a counter-point to the ultra-stylised green-hued first three. And why the fights aren't as choreographed and there isn't any snazzy new bullet-time effects. That might just be someone overthinking how cheap the film looks but it made me think a bit

olliebean

Quote from: Custard on December 31, 2021, 09:12:08 AMYet Reeves seems the type of bloke who wouldn't do it unless at least one of the Wachowskis was attached

I believe he's on record as saying exactly that.

Dex Sawash

The opening bit with the green digits talking was just like the stars talking at the beginning of Its A Wonderful Life. I laughed and turned it off.

phantom_power

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 31, 2021, 11:49:56 AMThe opening bit with the green digits talking was just like the stars talking at the beginning of Its A Wonderful Life. I laughed and turned it off.

Isn't that a direct copy from the first film?