News:

Registrations are currently delayed due to a spam wave, please bear with me.

The Matrix Resurrections

Started by Bad Ambassador, December 06, 2021, 09:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaky

So was Smith in the new one simply to "balance the equation" or whatever? That was one thing a rewatch of the other sequels seemed to imply, as he ended up doing fuck all in Resurrections.

The writers have also said they didn't change any lines from when Weaving was due to return, although I'm not sure how that would've worked as the "reveal" is about the only interesting thing about the character this time round.

Replies From View

He turned up in the nick of time to save Neo and Trinity and say "well that's the last time I save you douchebags; don't ask me why I even did it" and fucked off

Why did he do that

13 schoolyards

My reading of it was that:

a): Smith was there because after all their fighting hijinx in the original trilogy it's no longer possible to have Neo without Smith - they're (somehow) intertwined, you bring Neo back and Smith pops up too.

b): Smith clearly didn't give a fuck about Neo and Trinity but most definitely wanted to give the Analyst a good kicking for trapping him in the Matrix as some software boss douchebag. His role in the final fight was more about making sure he wouldn't be trapped again rather than wanting to help Neo.

Shaky

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on January 10, 2022, 12:43:02 AMMy reading of it was that:

a): Smith was there because after all their fighting hijinx in the original trilogy it's no longer possible to have Neo without Smith - they're (somehow) intertwined, you bring Neo back and Smith pops up too.

Yeah, this is touched on in the other two sequels - if each iteration of the Matrix features "The One" anomaly, Smith is needed to balance things out - but it doesn't seem to be mentioned in Resurrections (although I was drunk for some of it). Feels likes he's just hanging around. Wonder if Weaving could've made more out of the part.

olliebean

Quote from: Shaky on January 09, 2022, 11:58:17 PMThe writers have also said they didn't change any lines from when Weaving was due to return, although I'm not sure how that would've worked as the "reveal" is about the only interesting thing about the character this time round.

Presumably he would still have been played by someone else at the outset, morphing into Weaving at the revelatory moment.

samadriel

I'm guessing it was meant to make some sort of point about the new Matrix ingratiating itself to Neo, having the new Smith calling him "Tom" and not being clad in the MIB outfit, but it just made him completely bland. I was glad NPH was a good bad guy, but making Smith boring is unforgivable.

I thought I'd written something on here after I saw it last year, but this has really soured on me. I enjoyed the first third with all the meta stuff, but once it entered the realm of the previous movies, it just showed off how inferior it was to them. Resurrections is better than the third movie, but I've had hangnails better than the third movie.

I liked the alliance between the bots and Io, but it didn't help clarify who was on what side; I left the movie completely confused as to who wanted what. Was the Analyst the new boss of the whole Matrix, or just a subset of it? Maybe just the bit of the Matrix that looks like San Francisco? If the bots can make more energy out of fewer people, is Io much bigger than Zion because the bots will be letting more people leave the Matrix? How many more? How much smaller is the Matrix under the current regime? Fuck it, I couldn't make head or tail of it. Trinity was good though

Custard

Quote from: phantom_power on January 07, 2022, 08:22:59 PMThe Half in the Bag review of this is pretty good. They equate it to Gremlins 2 in that it is also a commentary not just on the original film but the reputation, fans and legacy. Not as fun as G2 obviously, but I think made in a similar "fuck it" spirit

Yeah, I enjoyed that very much too. And in a way it's made me like and appreciate the new film more

Ferris

Released on iTunes, 2.5hrs? Fucking hell!

Replies From View

Quote from: Ferris on January 14, 2022, 07:14:36 PMReleased on iTunes, 2.5hrs? Fucking hell!

That's nothing!  TDK HS240 tapes go all the way up to 4 hours!!

Ferris

JamesTC

Quote from: Replies From View on January 14, 2022, 08:09:12 PMThat's nothing!  TDK HS240 tapes go all the way up to 4 hours!!

Christopher Nolan went too far with that one.