Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:34:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jon Ronson's Things Fell Apart - a Scottish Jewish joke

Started by Catalogue of ills, December 07, 2021, 07:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalogue of ills

Technically this belongs in Picture Box, but I'm putting it here because really it concerns comedy. This Radio 4 programme tells the story of an old Usenet site, rec.humor.funny, which for a time in the early days of the internet was not only the most visited comedy site, but the most visited site on the internet.

Jon Ronsons' podcast tells of how rec.humor.funny site host Brad Templeton became the first person to be publicly shamed on the internet after his site published a (pretty lame and dubious) Scottish Jewish joke, not realising it was on the anniversary of Kristallnacht. Culture wars, and the first Cancelling, ensued.

I thought CaB might be interested - does this have any relevance to now, and if so what does it tell us?

Ambient Sheep

I'm afraid there already IS a Picture Box thread, although arguably it should've been in here due to what we believe is the upcoming Glinner episode (ep 6., it's rumoured).

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on December 07, 2021, 07:09:59 PMI'm afraid there already IS a Picture Box thread, although arguably it should've been in here due to what we believe is the upcoming Glinner episode (ep 6., it's rumoured).

Ah, thanks. No-one seems to be discussing the actual show in that thread though, and this particular episode is directly comedy-related.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Catalogue of ills on December 07, 2021, 07:21:40 PMAh, thanks. No-one seems to be discussing the actual show in that thread though, and this particular episode is directly comedy-related.

Yeah, no worries, just thought you might like to know.